Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals .. I am looking to put a larger (wider ) rear tire on my 950. I am wondering if anyone has ever seen or actually put on a 200/60r/16 on the rear of a 950 ... How did it fit under? My 950 is lowered also. Any info would be great

Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but my fil rides a Strat deluxe and he put a car tire on the rear. His neighbor rides a Suzuki v-strom 650, and he put a car tire on the rear as well. I know it sounds nuts, but I have seen a couple of other bikes around town that have car tires on them too.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
i don't think i've heard of anyone putting on larger than a 180 without it being a custom build by a shop that required different fender and swing arms. and i've been told by a yamaha service shop they won't put on anything larger than a 180 on this model. i've got a 180 and i haven't seen anyone post any regrets for stepping up from the 170. my bike is also lowered 2.25" and there are no clearance issues.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
looks like a metzeler me880 marathon 200/60 r16? what differences in handling/riding characteristics have you noticed from the stock size? any changes in speedo accuracy? for comparison sake, the stock size is 170/70-16.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes. Those are Metz on it. As the radius is 16 on both tires, there is not any difference in speedo (you can google online tire speedo difference calc btw). I didn't have a chance to ride this bike with stock tires as I've bought it with 200 tires installed already. But I don't have any issues on high speeds or in corners. Maximum there can be difference in turn radius, but with 200 I'm ok anyway

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe there can be difference in 5-10 kmph less at higher speeds. But I did 180 kmph on this bike. Once again, hard to compare as I never rode it with stock size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts