Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing some issues on my VStar and I need to replace the rear wheel bearings.
The one on the final drive side just fell out of the rim when I pulled the final drive but the other side is in the hub tight.
What is the best way to get that one out so I can replace it?
I'm waiting on a repair manual to come in the mail but I thought I'd post the question so maybe I can go ahead and get it removed.

Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a brass drift, if the old one spun in the hub you can locktight the new one in or stake it in if it's to loose in the hub
I tried a something similar to loctite and it didn't work.
I'm still able to remove the bearing with my finger.

What do you mean by stake the bearing in so it's tighter?
My first time working with bearings so not sure what you mean.

I do appreciate all the help everyone has given me I've got all my parts and will start getting it back together and hopefully riding again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
staking is pinching the hub housing into the bearing race so it can,t spin usually done with a dull chisel or a steel punch. just look up staking a bearing race on you tube there's probably a video, the are special glues just for that purpose but they're pretty expensive around 15 to 20 bucks for a little tube of it, i would use permanent thread locker not the red stuff , then stake it, you don't want the strong loctite you want the permanent stuff, or you can get a hub for 450 bucks or a used rear wheel around 150-180 for a decent one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts