Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission could lock.
Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA issued a recall on the FJR1300 sport-tourer for a gearbox issue that could ultimately lock the transmission and rear wheel.
According to the documents published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Yamaha expects 50 percent of the 2,285 vehicles included in this recall to present the issue. The Yamaha FJR13’s model-year 2016 through 2020 are targeted.
In the safety recall report, Yamaha explains that the Yamaha head office found that on some of the bikes, the second gear wheel isn’t strong enough to handle the tension caused by a gear change at high rotation.
The component might not be able to endure the stress of constant gear changes. It could eventually crack and, in the worst-case scenario, even break. Yamaha lists difficulty in changing gear and finding neutral and false neutrals as precursor signs of a gearbox issue leading up to breakage.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
932 Posts
Ouch! That is going to cost Yamaha, but cudos for taking actions. Hopefully, no rider has so far been badly injured or killed.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But 4 years to figure out there was a design problem??

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,629 Posts
Dang, that sux

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang, that sux
Only until you get a new ENGINE. I really don't think they can fix that. New motor/refund the bike time.

EDIT: fix it cost effective. Too expensive to tear down and replace it in EVERY engine.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,629 Posts
Only until you get a new ENGINE. I really don't think they can fix that. New motor/refund the bike time.

EDIT: fix it cost effective. Too expensive to tear down and replace it in EVERY engine.
Triumph had a similar issue with early model Rocket IIIs. One of my buddies had his tranny lock up at 75mph in Pennsylvania. His son was following him on another bike and just happened to be a first responder. Saved his dad's life that day. Mike was in a coma for three days. Got a new R3 a few months later, still rides today.

Reactions: faffi and compjan

·
Registered
314 Posts
But, Since the NHTSA has not officially put it out yet there is no recall on my bike per Yamaha. Apparently USA is the last to get recalls after Canada and Europe according to Yamaha. This is even after I gave them the recall number.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just curious. has anyone heard of any accidents or injuries caused by this deficiency on this particular bike? I am asking because I am considering replacing my Harley with exactly that bike.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read a few days ago there is ANOTHER recall. Something new, and affects 3 other Yamaha bikes also.

??brakes?? I think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts