Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my first year of riding last year, I mostly did a bunch of short range hops (25-50miles). I am thinking about some comfort mods for some longer range cruises this summer. My first thoughts were some sort of cruise control and a driver's back rest and I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations or other ideas. The seat hasn't been bad after riding for about an hour. Thanks....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought a Corbin seat with movable backrests. The Corbin has pretty good support because of the king-queen configuration, but the moveable backrest makes a big difference for me on longer single drives.

·
2,718 Posts
If you still have the stock seat that would be a place to start. If you can get an hour of relative comfort from it you're pushing the limits. A nice seat makes all the difference. I've never used a driver's backrest but a friend of mine has one and he says he'll never have another bike without one.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
A simple way to reduce throttle fatigue is to add a throttle stop of some kind. Plenty out there but in the past I've used one of these and liked it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll third that. I have Kuryakyn ISO grips. Very comfortable. I added the contour throttle boss and you don't have to squeeze the throttle grip as hard.

I've got a bad back so a drivers backrest is a must. Nice for long rides. My 950 has the OEM backrest and it is very nice. Fits me well. One of the reasons I bought this bike because it was already installed. Just added a Grasshopper backrest to my Nomad. It's OK, still working on bending it to get the right position.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
I'll third that. I have Kuryakyn ISO grips. Very comfortable. I added the contour throttle boss and you don't have to squeeze the throttle grip as hard.

I've got a bad back so a drivers backrest is a must. Nice for long rides. My 950 has the OEM backrest and it is very nice. Fits me well. One of the reasons I bought this bike because it was already installed. Just added a Grasshopper backrest to my Nomad. It's OK, still working on bending it to get the right position.
Let me know how Grasshopper works out for you. I'm contemplating on for mine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a Corbin seat with movable backrests. The Corbin has pretty good support because of the king-queen configuration, but the moveable backrest makes a big difference for me on longer single drives. View attachment 91824
thanks... great looking bike!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

thanks ...i was looking at the kuryakyn grips with throttle boss just before my first post!!! I will check out the grasshopper rest

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Change the seat or atleast take it to your local upholstery shop and have them add some memory foam to it......Second would be hiway pegs to let you move your legs around.
thanks... never thought about just adding padding to the current seat. Good idea!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a Brakeaway throttle lock. It works well but is a little pricey...$200.

My 1100 came with an Ultimate seat and fold down backrest. There is a small storage pouch on the back of the backrest as well. I keep my insurance card and cigarettes in there.

View attachment 91841
love your bike. I have the same color scheme but reversed on my 650. Man that seat with back rest looks really comfortable!!! Are those Kuraykyn grips? Passenger arm rests and floorboards, forward foot pegs, cup holder... looks like a great cruiser.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
just adding padding to the stock seat may not help

everyones bone structure is different, you may need to experiment to find the best padding for your anatomy, and then make that permanent in the seat

I have experience with recumbent bicycle seats, one with a groove down the middle was great for me, so I modified my stock 650 to add the grove - it keeps me from sitting on my tail bone, which would cause that area to become numb/asleep

also when I hit a bump I tended to slide forward on the seat, scooted up to the gas tank, I also added about 3/8" of padding on the front 6 inches of the seat, which was like lifting the nose up that amount - problem solved

my modified 650 seat is good for at least 2 hours now - usually its my legs that urge me to stop and take a break more than the seat now

so 100 miles cruising, 150 miles at highway speeds... long enough between breaks anyway

·
Registered
2005 V Star 1100 Classic
42 Posts
For hand fatigue, I added Kuryakyn ISO grips and a Throttle Boss. I bought a Mustang seat, lowered the angle of the handle bars and adjusted the crash bar pegs for better ergonomic positioning

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am thinking about some comfort mods for some longer range cruises this summer. The seat hasn't been bad after riding for about an hour. Thanks....
My bike came equipped with mustang seat plus a back rest. I haven't had a need for the back rest just yet, it's been sitting in the garage all this time, probably because the seat is comfortable.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice bike, I like it. What year is your bike and which saddle bags are those?.
2001 V star 650 Classic with a set of Viking Hardbags. I bought the bags for $100 from a fella who bought them for a sporster but found he could not mount them around the shocks on the bike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts