Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
Newbie here from Providence, Rhode Island. How you doin?
Signed up here hoping to establish new friends (Anyone local or close to me?) and possibly find a solution to my issue as well.
I have a 2002 XVS 1100 Custom which I bought brand new. It currently has about 13000 miles. About 4.5 yrs ago it wasn't charging and a shop put in a stator. Then about 16 months ago the symptoms of just shutting off began ( It would always start right back up tho' ) preceded by a sort of click like a circuit breaker noise. Testing pointed to a bad rectifier and so that was changed. Went a few months of light riding and then it wouldn't start, battery totally dead. Put new battery to get it to a shop. Again the rectifier was blown. Replaced that again and was fine for about 600 miles. Went to start it, the battery was fried , literally wavy. It sits now in a shop where I can use tools, etc. I got it there and revved to about 3500RPM volts climbing past 17. So once again a fried rectifier. We are gonna test the stator in a few days. If no problem with stator, what else can it be? I need to get this fixed so I can use it without breaking down or paying extensive yamaha dealer fees. Thanks in advance and have a bad ass day!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,388 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. The introduction section is for introducing yourself. Posting your issue in the Vstar section will get better exposure and responses. Quick question, did you use OEM replacement parts or aftermarket? Unfortunately aftermarket parts have a reputation of premature failure. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/7-starbikeforums-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5655-yammy-ya-got.html?highlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/110258-where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/25113-how-experienced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/113714-how-mature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is a heavy duty oem rectifier on the market...I put one on my bike and haven't had any problem since. Also drill some air holes in the bottom of the cover that the rectifier is behind to keep it cool. All the info should be in the link that was already posted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, when they changed the stator, I have no idea what they used (OEM or not). The rectifiers have been after market. I am told that an OEM stator , even on ebay, will be close to 600 USD and an OEM Rectifier close to 160 USD and that is without tax applied. It might be time to scrap the bike then considering that the book value even with the upgrades is only 400 USD.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
A running Vstar 650, 1100, Royal Star, Road star.. with less than 15k miles, with good tires sells for about $2000 to $3500

that bike will easily run 100,000 miles on the odo without touching the enginef

your bike would sell for $400 in about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A comparison with Edmonds, Nada & Kelly BB show the bike to be worth only 400. no matter what. The key is the region which plays a part in valuation. 5 minutes it will sell for 400. ??? I tried to sell it once for 1000. when it was 5 years old and had about 3700 miles on it. (A whole year and it never sold). I pay property taxes each year on it, this year they taxed it on 400., last year they taxed on 550.00. It is only valuable to a person who likes the bike and plans to keep it for awhile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a heavy duty oem rectifier on the market...I put one on my bike and haven't had any problem since. Also drill some air holes in the bottom of the cover that the rectifier is behind to keep it cool. All the info should be in the link that was already posted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
If I find the stator is good, then no more aftermarket rectifiers. I will follow the advice from here and put one heavy duty from a roadstar (brand new of course!) So far, 3 rectifiers the original and 2 aftermarket...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,388 Posts
Follow the testing link posted earlier to ensure actual defective part. Make the decision of repair after that. If I lived closer I'd give you $400 today for it. I did a NADA using zip code 02901 (should be close to you) and received different values than you stated. Using my zip (77449) values were the same. But I will tell you most bikes down here go for slightly above the NADA average retail. Here screenshot of 02901. Keep us informed on your outcome.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
The thing that is missing on the NADA price guides is the condition of the bike and the mileage.

a 2002 Vstar 1100 is 18 years old, and yours only has 13k miles on it. It could still have the original front tire and the oil has only been changed 3 times. That comes out to 750 miles a year, 3 or 4 tanks of gas each year.

If you are the original owner, and you have kept the bike mostly stock (exhaust, jets.. pods) that makes it a very desirable MC.

I have been averaging 5k miles a year, so if I bought that bike new it would have 90k miles on the odo. THAT would be a $1500 motorcycle.

·
2,478 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I think your rectifier question has been answered - avoid the aftermarket ones, go OEM and get the heavy duty one from a Road Star. The cooling holes are a good idea too.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
^ that would tend to make me think no one had changed the filter in a long time......

·
2,478 Posts
the only way to reach it was a long allen wrench and they twist. a set of allen sockets would be a good investment.
I bought a set after doing my first oil change with Allen keys. Highly recommended.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I can’t add much more advice than what you’ve already gotten. Our members are very informative and helpful. Please keep us updated on your progress. A bike with your mileage and condition would also be worth around $1,500 locally, much like Les referred to. Hope you can get your issue resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hello Everyone!
Newbie here from Providence, Rhode Island. How you doin?
Signed up here hoping to establish new friends (Anyone local or close to me?) and possibly find a solution to my issue as well.
DragonRI, a response to looking for riding friends, I joined a group recently that I'm real pleased with as a group and their general philosophy. They like to ride, ride as often as possible and do not do tavern runs keeping safety as a constant. I looked for your area and there is a Providence chapter. The url is: https://startouring.org/find-a-star-chapter/?state=RI

For others that don't know about this group, the main link is: https://startouring.org/ The web site is a little funky but you can keep poking around to find what you want.

They apparently started as a Yamaha Star group but have been open to all bikes for a while now. I ride my '02 Classic with a Venture, 950's, Harley's, an Indian plus many more. This is intended to be a thought that might be useful.

YamahaPat, there's a Sacto chapter (I'm in Contra Costa Cnty chapter) that we'll be doing rides together with. I hear they like to put miles on...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts