Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
The drivers that scare me most are the ones that "drive based on others." You know the type: they diddle along in the left lane 5 mph under the speed limit until you finally go around them on the right, then when you go ahead of them they match your speed (and all too often ride your bumper)... "Their confidence is in your rear bumper" as my Dad always put it.

I think that's what's going on here: He saw movement on his right, movement on his left, and decided it must be time to for him to move too.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Lol. I like the pan back and forth like.. Look green lights... for the OTHER people. What an idiot. I had a lady the other day in the right lane on her phone, I was in my truck. I pulled up and stopped and realized I was a little short of the line so I inched up and she did the same thing, just took off through the light when she saw me bump forward.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My favorite is when the left turn arrow turns green and the thru traffic jumps then slams on their brakes.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
"filtering to the front" at the light?!

thats not lane splitting, thats just being a jerk.

maybe the guy in the red car saw this motorcycle coming up to him, and thought he was about to be carjacked,
or shot

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
it IS lane splitting, and it IS legal in California where this took place as is the normal practice for bikers there. how is doing it at a traffic light any worse in your opinion than when traffic is actually moving?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
The rider is going 45 to 40mph while passing between the cars.

He is not 'filtering up' at 10mph over the speed of the stopped cars, he is blowing by all of them, still going 35mph when all the cars have stopped.

Read the California definition of lane splitting sometimes.

·
Registered
609 Posts

He is not 'filtering up' at 10mph over the speed of the stopped cars, he is blowing by all of them, still going 35mph when all the cars have stopped.

As a PA resident I don't keep current on CA regulations, nor care.

Having said that, I'll tend to trust Bevo's viewpoint most any time.

My 2c: You might wanna think about lowering the 'tude a bit: particularly as a newb responding to one of the longest-term, most-dedicated, most-respected folks here.

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
The new lane splitting law in Cally, AB 51,had two initial restrictions. No lane splitting over 50mph, and no faster than 15mph over stopped/moving traffic going in the same direction. That doesn't mean people will necessarily adhere to those restrictions, and we as safe riding bikers are sadly aware of how MANY cagers don't follow basic traffic laws.
Considering the very high volume of traffic out there I can see why AB 51 passed the Senate and why it would help ease congested traffic flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"filtering to the front" at the light?!

thats not lane splitting, thats just being a jerk.

maybe the guy in the red car saw this motorcycle coming up to him, and thought he was about to be carjacked,
or shot
Where are you from? I was filtering and that is quite legal in California and 99% of the rest of the world. it is the other 49 states that are behind the times when it comes to Lane Splitting and Filtering.

it IS lane splitting, and it IS legal in California where this took place as is the normal practice for bikers there. how is doing it at a traffic light any worse in your opinion than when traffic is actually moving?

Who is the "rider going 45 - 50 mph when passing cars"? Are you referring to me in the video I linked here, because I most certainly was not going 45-50 past stopped cars.

FYI if traffic is going 30-35mph then traveling at 45-50mph while splitting between them is both legal and safe here in California.

I always find it amazing that people will point the finger at me for lane splitting legally when I am showing a video of someone blatantly breaking the law in a very dangerous fashion....

·
Registered
609 Posts
The new lane splitting law in Cally, AB 51,had two initial restrictions. No lane splitting over 50mph, and no faster than 15mph over stopped/moving traffic going in the same direction. That doesn't mean people will necessarily adhere to those restrictions, and we as safe riding bikers are sadly aware of how MANY cagers don't follow basic traffic laws.
Considering the very high volume of traffic out there I can see why AB 51 passed the Senate and why it would help ease congested traffic flow.

Seems sensible legislation to me (and how rare is that?)... Speed -differential- more than speed is always the bigger safety issue, IME.

Everyone talks about the 'no speed limit' portions of the Autobahn in German. Yet few mention the restriction that you can't pass anyone at >50kph speed differential (IIRC, I lived there long ago...). Even if I'm wrong on the number, the concept remains: There may be no speed limit but you still can't blow past someone at 250kph if they're only going 100kph...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone talks about the 'no speed limit' portions of the Autobahn in German. Yet few mention the restriction that you can't pass anyone at >50kph speed differential (IIRC, I lived there long ago...). Even if I'm wrong on the number, the concept remains: There may be no speed limit but you still can't blow past someone at 250kph if they're only going 100kph...
Huh, I was not aware of that rule on the Autobahn, but it makes sense. It is the differential that will get you. People always tell me how they think it is soooo dangerous to split lanes at 70mph.... But when I do that I am typically going 75mph, so I pass them very slowly..... it is much safer than splitting past cars going 25mph if you are traveling at 55mph. Speed Differential is KEY!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Huh, I was not aware of that rule on the Autobahn, but it makes sense. It is the differential that will get you. People always tell me how they think it is soooo dangerous to split lanes at 70mph.... But when I do that I am typically going 75mph, so I pass them very slowly..... it is much safer than splitting past cars going 25mph if you are traveling at 55mph. Speed Differential is KEY!
Now that I think about it, the "overtaking limit" may only apply on the speed-limited portions of the autobahn. I lived there for a while and do recall that was a rule... OTOH, I lived in Frankfurt, generally drove on a "when in Rome" basis, and -mostly- drove on speed-limited autobahn sections anyhow.

But on the occasional weekend run out to Cologne or Munich, it sure was fun to just nail it and go. I didn't have a supercar, but my big-ole-Benz was certainly capable of cruising at 200kmh no problem and I hit 250 with some regularity...

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
In June of 2014 I was back home in SoCal for two weeks. We were in Santa Monica near the pier when I told my wife we needed to head back to Upland which was 57 miles away on the I-10 freeway.
We left at 315pm and arrived at my brothers house in Upland at 630pm. We were commenting about how many motorcycles were lane splitting and doing so safely. Most of the bikes were traveling 10-15mph. We also made mention that it wouldn't work well in our area as a large part of cagers don't use their turn signals, they'll turn from the left lane and cut across two other lanes to turn right, and talk/text on their cell phones.
Growing up in SoCal motorcycles were a normal part of the traffic flow and a lot of them lane split whether it was legal or not then. I'd like to see where motorcyclists could share the HOV lane.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
We can see your speedo in the video

there are several reasons why the driver might have jumped the red light. He might have seen the guy on the right turning and thought the light changed

or he might have been freaked out when you suddenly pulled up next to his window and he took off. You are mocking the driver when you might have been the one that triggered the event.

Do you really want to do a lane splitting debate on a thread?

Its illegal in 49 states, that is 49:1 against.

Its hard enough for MC riders to get any respect from most people on the road, and to claim the entire lane to have some breathing room. When drivers see motorcycles riding between lanes, the neurons in their brains instantly connect and decide that motorcycles clearly do not need a whole lane to themselves, they dont need a lane at all, because there they go, choosing to ride on the dashed line.

I do get the thing that an air cooled bike in a hot state will bake idling in stopped traffic for several minutes. Thats not true if your bike is water cooled, and its not true waiting for a red light, because when you get to the front of the lane you still have to sit there and wait for the light.

And I understand the danger of getting rear ended at stop light. You can keep your bike back several feet from the car in front of you and pointed between the cars, if you see a car in your mirrors not slowing down you can get out of the way. We dont need to run to the front of the line to have an escape path.

But the bottom line from my perspective is people, esp in the US, have a very acute sense of 'fairness'. Cutting ahead of someone else is considered rude. Passing someone in the right lane is considered rude and illegal in most states. Road rage is a real thing, and pissing off drivers in cars is just negative all around.

You cannot just ignore the culture that people were raised in. If you want to experience it, goto china, where people do not stand in lines for anything, they just mob rush to whatever they are trying to get to and to hell with you if you get in their way. Even if you know that is their culture when you go there, and you expect it, it still pisses you off when you experience it, because you were not raised that way, and it comes across as personal disrespect.

MC riders do lane split in the other 49 states. They are the same riders that ride through residential areas at 110mph, are doing wheelies in traffic, tailgating cars, and red line their bike every chance they get because it sounds so cool. They dont care what's legal. They are not doing any good to forward the merits of lane splitting.

If you want to plead to a higher authority, the MSF has a web page on this, and they state that further study is needed to make a sound conclusion. They are not outright for it or against it. California has recommendations for lane splitting. Thats not what I see in that video.

Im willing to give you the fact that motorcycles sometimes have to break the laws. In my area in the suburbs, from midnight to 6 AM all the traffic lights switch to red in all four directions. When the light senses a car approaching it switches that street green both ways, and then all four back to red. Its great if you are driving cross town at 5AM, if there is no traffic you can make it cross town without hitting any red lights...

Unless your motorcycle doesnt trip the sensors. Then every light is red and stays red and will not switch unless a car pulls up behind you. You are forced to run a red light at every freaking intersection you come to. But you still have to stop and look, you cant just blow through them all. The only other choice is to catch up to a car and follow it through all the lights.

There is a middle ground in all these things.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
".....People always tell me how they think it is soooo dangerous to split lanes at 70mph.... But when I do that I am typically going 75mph..."

yeah.... thats not legal anywhere.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
".....People always tell me how they think it is soooo dangerous to split lanes at 70mph.... But when I do that I am typically going 75mph..."

yeah.... thats not legal anywhere.
Might not be legal, but it is safer in my experience than going 25 when cars are going 10.

As for the 49 states to one argument.... lets try the rest of the world and California to those 49 states... the 49 are globally in a major minority.

I find it incredible that anyone could put ANY blame on me for that man running the red light, I am shocked.. even IF my movement triggered his brain to think he should go, he is not blind and a quick glance could tell him that the light was red and he could of stopped. From his body language (and the line of cars) I got the feeling the light had been red a long time before he purposely decided to just run it instead of waiting.

And yes I will argue for the benefit of lane splitting until I am blue in the face because I have been doing it safely for 6 years now every single day.

As for your idea of Fairness of filtering to the front of the lane.... the freeway and surface streets are not lines of starving people waiting for food handouts... this is commuting to work. If you don't think it is fair, get out of your cage, buy some warm weather gear or brave the heat or rain or whatever and lane split yourself. Why does commuting need to be "fair"? That is just ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.