Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I literally just bought my 01 vstar 1100 custom on saturday. Rode it all Sunday and then today I rode it to work. I am use to my R6 and rode a small portion of my ride in 4th gear on the highway hitting 60-75 MPH. Then realized I was a dummy and went into 5th gear. But my Red oil light came on at the very end of my ride.

Got to work and checked the oil and I couldnt see any so it must be pretty low. Is there any way I could have done damage to the engine? or blown a seal? I am just freaking out because I just got the bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also is riding in 4th gear going about 70 for around 20 min going to do any lasting damage? or more of a dont do it again type of thing. :/

·
Registered
417 Posts
Let the motorcycle sit for awhile then check the oil. Top it off if low and ride on. I doubt there was much damage done by the higher rpms of riding in 4th gear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slayer that's relieving to hear! My head instantly went to thinking I blew my top end or did something real bad haha

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
not sure how quickly you checked the oil after shutting it down but it takes a few minutes to settle back down in the crankcase once you turn it off. Take a buddy with you and let him hold the bike straight up while you check the level in the site glass. It doesn't have to be level full at the top, just between the lines.

As far as the high RPMs, unless you were "floating" the valves you most likely didn't do any damage. Plus I believe these things have a rev limiter to prevent just this such thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well luckily it is still under a 30 day warranty. Only had the damn thing for a 72 hours haha They will go through the bike to see what the issue is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The oil light is just a level sensor, right? If it lights up, it means either the oil level is low or the sensor is bad. I'm guessing they did the oil change and did not run the motor up to operating temp, cut off, let everything settle and recheck the level. That's asking a lot for some dealers.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Floating the valves is a term used when someone has the RPMs up so high on an engine that the valve springs are not strong enough to close the valve completely before the cam lobe lifts it again. The cam shaft is turning so fast that it is literally holding the valves open, thus the term "floating". I doubt you were anywhere close to doing that. I was just using that as a reference to the fact that you would have had to be turning some extreme RPMs to cause any damage to your bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that is great to hear! :) I am thinking the dealership just didnt fill my oil before they gave it to me. which would not surprise me

·
Registered
417 Posts
How long was the low oil indicator on and was it on during high rpms? Unless it was on for several minutes AND it was completely empty of oil I stand by my first post. I suspect the dealer put the minimum amount of oil in during service. And as mentioned above, just poured the oil in to the level in the sight glass without starting then rechecking and topping the thing off. My brand new 1300 Deluxe started showing the oil level indicator intermittently within a couple of weeks after I brought it home. I had to add a few ounces of oil to get it to stop. It wasn't a lot but maybe 4 ounces or so.

If you are worried, change the oil and see if the oil is burnt. If not a few dollars for peace of mind is money well spent.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I could be wrong, but on cars the oil light usually comes on for low oil PRESSURE, not LEVEL. On a lot of cars and at least some bikes, it isn't unusual for the light to come on when the engine (and oil) is hot and the engine is idling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I could be wrong, but on cars the oil light usually comes on for low oil PRESSURE, not LEVEL. On a lot of cars and at least some bikes, it isn't unusual for the light to come on when the engine (and oil) is hot and the engine is idling.
On these bikes, the oil light is from a level sensor, not pressure.

Never is it "normal" for a light to come on at idle, on any vehicle, that is a sure sign that something is wrong and needs to be remedied. Especially if the light is pressure triggered.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quit worrying, you can't hurt these motors unless you run it for a long time without any oil.
I put over 55K on mine and the oil light will come on sometimes when you run it at higher RPMs for quite a while and the oil gets a lot of foam in it.
Take a short break and let it sit and than check to see if the sight glass has oil in it and your good to go.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
that happens all the time on 1100's. You just had an air bubble or foaming that caused the oil level sensor to think it was low. Check the oil and if it's ok...just go ride. Running synthetic will reduce the issue tremendously.

·
Registered
163 Posts
At 65-70mph in 4th the RPM's wouldn't have been high enough to cause any problems. 70mph on your bike in 4th is like 4460 RPM's. Redline is 6400 I believe. Think of it like this, if you had been in 5th gear going 84mph, it'd be the same thing. 4460 RPM's is only running your engine at 70%, you'd have to run it up 2000 more RPM's to hit the redline. Gotta be the oil level.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Doubtfull any damage was done how low on oil was it? That's the main question. I've ride my bike in some strong head winds in 4th for quite a way. It's made to ride in what ever gear you need to get the job done. Honestly I've shifted out of 4th at 110 did not hit the rev limiter but I'm sure it was close. As mentioned the bikes shut off way before any damage can be done excluding riding without fluids

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So what was the verdict? Was the oil level low when you checked it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts