Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
I have saddle bags so I keep them there. Without saddlebags put documents in zip lock bag store in tool box compartment.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I make color copies, cover the registration copy with packing tape (kinda like laminating it) and keep them in my wallet.

The originals stay at home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine is in my wallet with my up-to-date insurance card next to it. Although I think I'll additionally keep copies of both in the pocket inside my saddlebags, too.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Registration.... I have a scanned copy in a zip lock bag in my tool bag compartment on the bike. Also, I have a picture copy on my email which I can access on my phone.

Insurance.... I have a pdf from my insurance company in my email which I can access on my phone.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got it stuck in the tool compartment at the moment. A plastic bag is a good idea, I think I will do that. I also like the idea of keeping copies in your phone, but I'm not sure if it is legal here. Doesn't a cop usually want to take the docs back to his car and run the numbers? I haven't been stopped in so long, can't even remember when, maybe in UT in '03.

I might just pull the tool kit out of there and store it in the shop. Seems pretty unlikely that I would try to repair anything on the side of the road.

Currently don't have any bags or trunk. Too early to know if I will go on longer rides.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think the police in California have that info. Insurance and registration the last time I was pulled over I didn't have my docs ( on my kitchen counter after replacing ins papers) I gave him my license and he knew everything. Usually they are in a plastic bag in my saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
"I make color copies, cover the registration copy with packing tape (kinda like laminating it) and keep them in my wallet."

I like the idea of this but some states require the original registration.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I cant imagine why, they look up your registration on their computer network to see if its still valid...

maybe those states dont have computers?!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I cant imagine why, they look up your registration on their computer network to see if its still valid...

maybe those states dont have computers?!
Probably because it's antiquated "Procedure" and that's the way they have to do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
I have locking saddlebags so I keep the originals there, copies in my file cabinet. Here in TN we can verify your insurance through your vehicle registration. I keep the cards in my vehicles and on my phone as additional backup. I even take photos of each of my vehicles license plates and put them on my phones photo album.I’m getting old so I may forget the numbers/letters, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CA can definitely look up your registration and insurance status. Insurance companies have to report that to DMV. At least any LE department of any decent size could do that.

Just because they can do that, does not mean you are not required to carry registration and insurance documents in your vehicle or on your person. I think most LEO would be understanding if you explain you forgot them at home, but you have images of them. As long as you were otherwise cooperative. I've even seen them be understanding if your DL wasn't on you, because they can verify that from the squad too. I think backup images is a great idea. Never occurred to me.

I've been around long enough to remember when your registration had to be visible from outside the vehicle. They sold little clear wallet type things that would wrap around your steering column. They did away with that when privacy became more of a concern, because people could see your home address on the registration. That probably stopped before I was driving, but I can clearly remember seeing those on cars as a child.

The government wheels of progress turn very very slowly.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Excellent point bpounds.
You’re correct in that any decent size can access that information. I remember as a kid in SoCal when the vehicle registrations were wrapped around your steering column. It was easy for someone to find out where you lived especially if you drove a convertible, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts