Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2005 Vstar 1100 classic a year and a half ago with Hard Chrome straight pipes and Kuryakin 'Hypercharger Aircleaner'. Drives great but does a lot of popping and spitting when closing the throttle.
I also got the stock exhaust with the bike. I put it on to try it out. Drives OK but not as 'clean'. After a while I noticed the pipes getting blue so it was running too rich so I put the straights on again and been driving with it for a year now. Never touched the carbs, same jets. Replaced main tire a while ago and the mechanic told me I was running too lean, which just confirmed what I had thought all along.
Question is what to do? I have no idea what is in the carbs, what jets? Can I just replace the main jets which I understand can be done without taking the carbs off or??? On my Viragos I used to take the carbs off and on a dozen times, but I have no experience with the Vstar which I understand are quite different.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
The VStar is a direct descendant of the Virago. I never heard the carbs were dramatically different. Where is that from? Once you get real good with a carb you could probably change the jets without taking it off, but if you're going all the way in you might as well put it on the bench and clean it at the same time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Change the jets with the carbs on? Really? I'd almost pay to see that!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I got my 2005 Vstar 1100 classic a year and a half ago with Hard Chrome straight pipes and Kuryakin 'Hypercharger Aircleaner'. Drives great but does a lot of popping and spitting when closing the throttle.
I also got the stock exhaust with the bike. I put it on to try it out. Drives OK but not as 'clean'. After a while I noticed the pipes getting blue so it was running too rich so I put the straights on again and been driving with it for a year now. Never touched the carbs, same jets. Replaced main tire a while ago and the mechanic told me I was running too lean, which just confirmed what I had thought all along.
Question is what to do? I have no idea what is in the carbs, what jets? Can I just replace the main jets which I understand can be done without taking the carbs off or??? On my Viragos I used to take the carbs off and on a dozen times, but I have no experience with the Vstar which I understand are quite different.
Sounds more like you need to start with a PMS adjustment. That will probably solve all of your issues. Try 1/4 - 3/4 turn out on each side for starters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds more like you need to start with a PMS adjustment. That will probably solve all of your issues. Try 1/4 - 3/4 turn out on each side for starters.
I'll try that. They may be 2 turns out. At least that is what Kuryakyn recommends and 125, 122.5 main jets. Have no idea what I should try if rejetting. Where is a good place to buy jets?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Unless you are experienced with Mikuni carbs and setting up Hyperchargers and have access to get AFR readings .. you're talking about a hell of a lot of guesswork.....and... if you are intent on going against what the manufacturer recommends...you're basically on your own. Good luck. You can get jets at any decent bike shop....

However.....IF the carbs are jetted the way they should be, there is another issue..... like a PMS adjustment....which is vitally important. With your set up, I'd be at 2 3/4 turns at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless you are experienced with Mikuni carbs and setting up Hyperchargers and have access to get AFR readings .. you're talking about a hell of a lot of guesswork.....and... if you are intent on going against what the manufacturer recommends...you're basically on your own. Good luck. You can get jets at any decent bike shop....

However.....IF the carbs are jetted the way they should be, there is another issue..... like a PMS adjustment....which is vitally important. With your set up, I'd be at 2 3/4 turns at least.
I think you are telling me not to try but take my bike to a shop. What is 'AFR'??

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What Mick is telling you is go by the instructions in the kit and use the jets based on the intake and exhaust combination on your bike. If the correct jets are installed in your carbs then opening your PMS as suggested should solve your problem. AFR is air fuel ratio. If you are just adding your own jets you would need a dyno and the ability to check your ARF to tune the bike to its peak. The folks that make and sell the kits have already done that work for you. That's why they include instructions for different intake/exhaust set-ups. Now you could pull the carbs and verify what jets are in there, as well as needle and PMS settings. Then you know exactly what you are starting with. But as suggested, start by opening the pms a little and see what you get. If the problems go away, you just saved yourself a bunch of needless work and time you could have been riding. You don't need to take it to a shop to do this. With Mick's help, the 1100KB page and others here, I just rejetted and changed my intake successfully. If I can do it anyone can! :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What Mick is telling you is go by the instructions in the kit and use the jets based on the intake and exhaust combination on your bike. If the correct jets are installed in your carbs then opening your PMS as suggested should solve your problem. AFR is air fuel ratio. If you are just adding your own jets you would need a dyno and the ability to check your ARF to tune the bike to its peak. The folks that make and sell the kits have already done that work for you. That's why they include instructions for different intake/exhaust set-ups. Now you could pull the carbs and verify what jets are in there, as well as needle and PMS settings. Then you know exactly what you are starting with. But as suggested, start by opening the pms a little and see what you get. If the problems go away, you just saved yourself a bunch of needless work and time you could have been riding. You don't need to take it to a shop to do this. With Mick's help, the 1100KB page and others here, I just rejetted and changed my intake successfully. If I can do it anyone can! :cool:
Thanks for all the advice. My Kuryakyn kit installation guide for the air-intake does not specify exactly what jets to use with my Hard Chrome exhaust. I have all the paperwork and the rejetting was originally done in a shop in another town but it does not say what jets they put in. I can only guess.
I am not afraid of taking things apart be it bikes , cars, airplanes and in fact I like it. But I like to prepare as much as I can before I go ahead. I have already all the info about carbs on the web. Now that I have a lot of info from this forum and other sources I feel ready. I'll probably just start with the PMS. Want to change the plugs anyway. Thank you all!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Exactly....well said.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts