Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have saddlebags on my 1100 Custom which prevent me from using the helmet lock. I'm looking for a product or fix that would allow me to relocate the helmet lock so that I can use it. I would prefer to do this so that I can use the bike's ignition key rather than having to carry another key.

An online vendor (Metric Horse) offered a bracket that that would allow you to relocate the lock to the front fender but after repeated attempts to get one sent to me I had to cancel the purchase, so their product is not an option for me.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Helmet lock

Steve,

It is going to be tough to not have a second key. I see locks on E Bay and others but you will have a second key. A trunk would be an option but lots of money and still a second key. My helmet lock for my 1100 was also unavailable. I would just put the helmet over the mirror and tightened the chin strap. That would at least mean a person could not just walk by and pick it up. My Stratoliner has a cable that you hook under the seat and through the helmet. I just do not bother to use it. It is easer to hook it to the mirror. Sometimes I just sit it on the seat. In five years and 55k miles no one has bothered a helmet.

Unless you have an expensive option in your helmet most people would not want it. I suppose after saying that someone will probably loose a helmet to a kid with a mini bike.
Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Helmets

Steve,

It is going to be tough to not have a second key. I see locks on E Bay and others but you will have a second key. A trunk would be an option but lots of money and still a second key. My helmet lock for my 1100 was also unavailable. I would just put the helmet over the mirror and tightened the chin strap. That would at least mean a person could not just walk by and pick it up. My Stratoliner has a cable that you hook under the seat and through the helmet. I just do not bother to use it. It is easer to hook it to the mirror. Sometimes I just sit it on the seat. In five years and 55k miles no one has bothered a helmet.

Unless you have an expensive option in your helmet most people would not want it. I suppose after saying that someone will probably loose a helmet to a kid with a mini bike.
Dave
Sort of funny Dave, I do, and have done for many years exactly what you are sayin. Like you, it may happen the next run out, but most folks are good, plus that element of fear to swipe something from a biker, could very well be VERY unheathy if caught in the act. I really do believe most folks respect another persons property, it's that extreme few that could have a bad day doin something not good ;)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
When you can't eyeball it , at least often, understood. Except on a trip, I run mostly rural but, even then, I still have not had a problem with lockin the helmet up (knock on wood ):)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought a helmet lock that mounts to the end on my grip, yes it has an extra key but is sure is smooth!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen the lock for the end of the handlebar grip that Kuryakyn makes, and it is pretty slick. I have also gotten some ideas on the delphi 1100 forum on how to easily relocate the stock helmet lock elsewhere on the bike. If that doesn't work out for me, I will probably go with the Kuryakyn lock.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Perhaps Ol Sugar Bear is totally out of touch, no doubt so from what I have been readin on these posts, I live rural, maybe folks are different(they are!) It's hard for someone who is in, and lives country to really get what some of you guys are sayin bout scumbag thiefs, respect is the order of the day for country folks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9 out of 10 people in the city are good, you just have to watch out for that 10th person!

I have also had a philosophy of "take precautions against theft.....don't tempt good people to become bad."

Locking something versus not locking something removes that temptation. It's too bad you need to live that way in urban areas, but that's the way it is. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really complaining. I am a city person and have lived in big cities all my life. It's just the way it is....but I still like it!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Helmet lock

If I had a head set or intercom I would take the helmet with me. But for my helmet Most people don't want my cooties. I strap it to the sissy bar or mirrors. That slows the process down enough that I have never had a problem. As you see in my avitar Taken at a gas station half way to Colorado my helmet is on my seat.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
If some body wants a helment it is going to be hard to stop them. They can always just cut the straps on the helment to take it, no matter what type of helments lock you have. Thank God for honest people and the rest will go to you know where.
[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem after I installed saddlebags. I ended up relocating the factory lock to the side plate of the sissy bar. It actually looks ok.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mounting the lock on the sissy bar is a solution I've heard many times since I posted the same question on 3 forums that I monitor. That will be the thing I will try when I uncover & bring my bike back to life after the Winter is over. Thanks....

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have to agree with stevea and remove temptation. On my Silverado I intalled a dual lock from Cyclegadgets called the Gaurdian. A locksmith might be able to rekey the lock to be the same as your bike (same basic key).
Doug

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to cyclegadgets.com & looked at the Guardian helmet lock. Looks like a nice product and the only one I've seen so far that can accommodate two helmets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Steve,
I know wacha mean. I go fishing alot & leave my bike far away in rural places. Although most people are honest, I don't trust the kid that might just pick up my helmet & put it somewhere that I can't find it & be sitting out of sight just watching to see what happens. It's probably something that I or one of my friends would have done when growing up. So I found a lock attached to a plate that goes behind my license plate that works just fine. I got it from Dennis Kirk for about $27.00. It wasn't hard to install, but since I live in MD their plates aren't a standard size so I had do drill some holes & do some grinding. I've used it a couple of times & really feel confident leaving my helmet with the bike. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Helmet lock options

I covered my helmet lock with saddlebags too. I just bought a simple black cable lock, and lock 1 or more helmets to the frame or backrest when I'm going to be away from the bike for a bit. It really isn't about something so big and heavy that the cable can't be cut through-- but more to discourage the casual kid or prankster, to keep it from looking too easy to just make a quick snatch. Just another option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts