Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

remapping the ECU

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lesblank 
#1 ·
thoughts on fuel programmers that remap the ECU? there are fuel programmers that act as 'piggybacks' to your bike's stock ECU and basically just add a higher fuel/air ratio across the entire powerband, and then there are fuel programmers that actually remap the ECU altogether - changing spark timing, raising rev limits/governors, etc. what are your thoughts on these as they relate to the health of your motor? can changing these things cause potentially more wear on your motor and components? if you're pushing RPMs higher than the bike intended by changing these limits, is this something to be concerned about?

#2 ·
I have Ivans flash on my Bolt. I have absolutely no real educated knowledge about any potential harmful effects of this on the life of the engine. However, I have always been led to believe that the the factory tunes (at least on newer Yamaha bikes) are detuned a bit for good ol' environmental purposes. I believe this is actually more harmful long term than getting it remapped. I say this because at least with the Bolt, it is set incredibly lean from the factory and that is NOT good for an engine...especially an air cooled engine. I didn't lose that much if any MPGs. Bike is much more responsive, runs cooler and IMO much safer since Ivan does away with that horrible jerky fuel cutoff on this engine. I've put over 20k on this thing and haven't seen any bad oil, fouled plugs or other symptoms of engine stress.

#3 ·
Great topic. Here's a quote that might help on the rev limit being raised:

"There is a margin of error
I mention this because the OEMs do test destructively. If you think they set the redline right at the point of total engine destruction, you’re not thinking critically. A very large margin of error is integrated."

With that said there is an upper limit, usually reached at valve float, meaning the valves can not open and close fast enough with valves basically staying open, this is bad. Manufacturers build in a rev limit to set the maximum RPM that can be run for long periods of time without any engine damage if the engine is other wise healthy. Tuners have done research with test engines to find a true rev limit. They couldn't stay in business if their customers engines were being destroyed using their product. A full ECM flash is always preferred over a fuel only enhancing device. A fuel only enhancing device is like jetting a carb. The better ones increase and decrease the amount of fuel based on RPM, but does not enhance the timing curve and is needed for full advantage of added fuel. A few degrees of timing at the correct RPMs really wakes an engine up. So, if you want the best safe engine performance, get the ECM flashed. If you have just upgraded intake and exhaust on want to wake the bike up some get a fuel enhancing device. On a side note, lugging an engine does much more damage then hitting the rev limiter.

"Lugging is awful
At the opposite end of the spectrum, lugging an engine is horrible on it. It hammers parts that don’t want to be hammered. Wristpins, con rods, cranks, big end and little end bearings, and the main bearings all take one hell of a beating during engine lugging."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.