Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--

On your '18 Venture/Eluder, have you changed out the battery on your remote start fob? If so, how many months of use or how many miles before it quit?

--

·
Registered
809 Posts
--

On your '18 Venture/Eluder, have you changed out the battery on your remote start fob? If so, how many months of use or how many miles before it quit?

--
I got 6 months out of my original as-shipped battery. I am now turning off the key fob transmitter, when not near the bike, and that means days or hours not riding. Why have the key fob radio, actively seeking the bikes transmitter, when you have no intention of being around it? BTW, if the bike's receptor radio doesn't sniff a signal from the key fob handshake, it too, will shut down the system, so as not to drain the bike's battery. But to do that with the key fob, you have to manually turn it off with the long key press, and then turn it on, with another long key press when wanting it to wake up the bike. FYI.

·
Registered
445 Posts
--

--
RonK I am still on the same battery and it has been 11 months and I haven't turned the key fob off. Also there is a thread on this forum that shows how the battery is changed. Some on the forum had to change out their battery within a few months.
I believe it was NGM that posted the video.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased my bike in September 2018 and no issues yet. I'm waiting till spring or a dry day to see if it will work

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish they had made it more evident whether the key was turned off/on. I think that when your turn it off, it blinks once. When you turn it on, it blinks once - marginally longer. Of course I could be backwards.

Would have been that hard to make it blink once for off, and twice for on? Kinda like remote lock/unlock on your car. There have been a couple of times when I have walked up to the bike, turned the remote on, and then sat down and lifted the bike upright only to be greeted by the alarm going off. Then you have to dig in your pocket and turn the remote on AGAIN and silence the alarm.

It's bad enough when you're by yourself. It's worse when it's in public with people around, or 6 in the morning.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got 6 months out of my original as-shipped battery. I am now turning off the key fob transmitter, when not near the bike, and that means days or hours not riding. Why have the key fob radio, actively seeking the bikes transmitter, when you have no intention of being around it? BTW, if the bike's receptor radio doesn't sniff a signal from the key fob handshake, it too, will shut down the system, so as not to drain the bike's battery. But to do that with the key fob, you have to manually turn it off with the long key press, and then turn it on, with another long key press when wanting it to wake up the bike. FYI.
Because my bike was built in 2017, I thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and drop in a new battery, right? No problem - $5 for a single battery to save a nightmare later in the summer. All I can say is: the easy part was opening up the remote. Whoever is in charge of packaging those "rabbit" batteries, should be charged with criminal harassment; that was ridiculous... But it's done, and I feel good about that detail for at least a year.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Still on the same battery that came with the bike. 1 year 4 months. Never turned off the remote. I have a spare battery just in case.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I wish they had made it more evident whether the key was turned off/on. I think that when your turn it off, it blinks once. When you turn it on, it blinks once - marginally longer. Of course I could be backwards.

Would have been that hard to make it blink once for off, and twice for on? Kinda like remote lock/unlock on your car. There have been a couple of times when I have walked up to the bike, turned the remote on, and then sat down and lifted the bike upright only to be greeted by the alarm going off. Then you have to dig in your pocket and turn the remote on AGAIN and silence the alarm.

It's bad enough when you're by yourself. It's worse when it's in public with people around, or 6 in the morning.

Reminds me of one time i had a bronco II the horn you pushed in the directional. I was at my girlfriends she has short and had the seat way up. At midnight with the neighbors drinking on the porch i jumped in and closed the door my knee pushing on the horn. I couldn't have opened the door quick enough. Embarrassed why yes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What is this fob thing that must be maintained? I have to follow an antiquated, multiple step, mechanical process every time I want to start the engine on my old 2010 950.

1. Insert my "key" into the "ignition switch".
2. Turn it 'till it won't go any farther
3. Switch on.
4. Yell (loudly) "CONTACT!"
5. Press starter button.

Jeezus, can you believe it? Every time! But I've nearly memorized the process so I almost never have to consult the start up checklist anymore.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is this fob thing that must be maintained? I have to follow an antiquated, multiple step, mechanical process every time I want to start the engine on my old 2010 950.

1. Insert my "key" into the "ignition switch".
2. Turn it 'till it won't go any farther
3. Switch on.
4. Yell (loudly) "CONTACT!"
5. Press starter button.

Jeezus, can you believe it? Every time! But I've nearly memorized the process so I almost never have to consult the start up checklist anymore.
Yup, '97 Virago, '02 Warrior, '04 RdS, and '18 SVTC all start exactly the same: turn the key to "on", and press the button... though I'm close to deaf, my bikes have not needed me to yell at them, yet....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just replaced my remote battery. 1 year 6 months. I never turned off the remote. The bike was built in July of 2017. I hope to get another 2+ years out of this battery.

·
Registered
143 Posts
GARider,
Did the remote run outa' juice or did you replace the battery, "just because..." ?
I still "turn" mine off if I know I won't be riding for a couple days...but I also dropped in a new battery when I bought the bike because it was already two years from the date of manufacture.

·
Registered
445 Posts
GARider,
Did the remote run outa' juice or did you replace the battery, "just because..." ?
I still "turn" mine off if I know I won't be riding for a couple days...but I also dropped in a new battery when I bought the bike because it was already two years from the date of manufacture.
On my way back from the meet and greet in Waynesville, on the infotainment display I received a message indicator and when I opened the message it stated that the remote battery was low. Thank you bike!
Had a spare battery in the saddle and put that in.
This bike also has a key (in case the bin is locked) and a emergency start button under the right saddle lid so either way the bike will start.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I had to replace my battery about 10 months after I got the bike. It’s been almost a year since replacing it and I’ve had no problems BUT I do carry a spare in the bike just in case.

UPDATE: it’s funny that after I posted this earlier today that I ended up having to change my fob battery this afternoon when I went to start the bike. That means for me at least that the batteries are lasting about 10-11 months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts