1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I wouldn't put much stock in it, as the most preferred way to steal a bike is a roll-a-way. I think a rotor
lock might be better. But I don't think about it at all. Getting it stolen that is.
I think that these are more for Dad to put on the kids 4wheeler's maybe?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wouldn't put much stock in it, as the most preferred way to steal a bike is a roll-a-way. I think a rotor
lock might be better. But I don't think about it at all. Getting it stolen that is.
I think that these are more for Dad to put on the kids 4wheeler's maybe?
my thinking was what if a guy put a gun on you and takes the bike at a gas station or the like, with this gizmo on the bike your chances of recovery are better. i have an alarmed disc lock but i don't use it if the bike in my line of site. i have full insurance coverage but i have doubts that they would pay the full replacement cost, plus i wouldn't have a bike for quite sometime waiting for payment and then even more time shopping for a replacement. my bike is the only transportation i have so losing it would hurt me more than most riders. safety is getting worse every day in metropolitan areas. but i'v seen bikes jacked in rural areas also just not very often.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insure it and forget it imo. If you kill the motor they will likely wreck, so your bike will be damaged and in today's litigious world, the perp will probably try to sue you.
i rather see it wrecked than see them get away with it, broken parts can be replaced my whole bike can't

·
Registered
179 Posts
my thinking was what if a guy put a gun on you and takes the bike at a gas station or the like, with this gizmo on the bike your chances of recovery are better. i have an alarmed disc lock but i don't use it if the bike in my line of site. i have full insurance coverage but i have doubts that they would pay the full replacement cost, plus i wouldn't have a bike for quite sometime waiting for payment and then even more time shopping for a replacement. my bike is the only transportation i have so losing it would hurt me more than most riders. safety is getting worse every day in metropolitan areas. but i'v seen bikes jacked in rural areas also just not very often.
So he has a gun... Takes off on your bike.. You kill the motor. Is he less likely to shoot you since you let him take the 500ft joyride? :confused:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You must have one of those ultra-rare 650s :wink: :grin:
after 16 years it's irreplaceable to me. never broke down once:wink: i'll bet the 80.00 motorcycle specific remote kill is the exact same thing and most of em won't reach over 300 ft. i was just trying save people some money that were looking into a remote kill switch's, it sound's like i shouldn't have even bothered. i'v also figured out how to install a real oil pressure gauge on a 650 not an oil temp gauge an actual pressure gauge if anyones interested.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So he has a gun... Takes off on your bike.. You kill the motor. Is he less likely to shoot you since you let him take the 500ft joyride? :confused:
by the time he figures out what happened he ain't gonna find me or the controller. only a fool would stay visible holding the controller. maybe you'd stand there holding it, but i'd get out of site or get inside the store were people are

·
Registered
179 Posts
after 16 years it's irreplaceable to me. never broke down once:wink: i'll bet the 80.00 motorcycle specific remote kill is the exact same thing and most of em won't reach over 300 ft. i was just trying save people some money that were looking into a remote kill switch's, it sound's like i shouldn't have even bothered. i'v also figured out how to install a real oil pressure gauge on a 650 not an oil temp gauge an actual pressure gauge if anyones interested.
I'm just busting your chops. I used to be more possessive over my vehicles. My last crotch rocket had an alarm with a pager remote and immobilizer and in retrospect it was totally unnecessary. I think I've graduated to the train of thought that most material items are replaceable. I have a cwp to help keep myself safe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
by the time he figures out what happened he ain't gonna find me or the controller. only a fool would stay visible holding the controller. maybe you'd stand there holding it, but i'd get out of site or get inside the store were people are
You likely need a clear line of sight to use the remote. Endangering others so I can hide amongst them is not in my blood. Armed robbers are rarely concerned about collateral damage.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as a dick. Just trying to help you think through this.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just busting your chops. I used to be more possessive over my vehicles. My last crotch rocket had an alarm with a pager remote and immobilizer and in retrospect it was totally unnecessary. I think I've graduated to the train of thought that most material items are replaceable. I have a cwp to help keep myself safe.
the cwp probably ain't necessary.... until you need it right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts