Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Do the new wheels not have provisions for the dual disc brakes? If this is the case you will need to eliminate the dual brake line and replace it with a single line. I do not know how the master cylinder will react to operating a single caliper, since it is designed for 2. Many bikes have only a single front brake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to agree with Sugar Bear. Do the new wheels not allow for a dual rotor? Although I wonder if you can only go with a single rotor can you go with a better aftermarket multi-piston caliper-Brembo comes to mind. I'm not quite sure if a better caliper on a single disk can equal the stopping power of dual disks. I also think that Sugar Bear's other point about the master cylinder is a valid one. You may have to address that as well as I believe that there may be an issue with fluid volume and distribution if you alter the receiving end of the brake fluid.

While its not an answer, its at least food for thought. Do some extensive research. Be safe rather than sorry-brakes are kinda important ;~). Good luck. Post some before and after pics!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have to agree with Sugarbear and Tonyb on the loss of front brake power. I guess though the final decision is up to you and what kind of riding will be done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It can be done without any problem with the master cylinder. It will change your braking but you should be able to adjust to this change.

Dan

·
Registered
160 Posts
650 uses a single. It is a much lighter bike. The 650 is very simular to the 1100. Brake parts may interchange. I am no expert so take it for what it is worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts