Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Pensacola, FL, area and rented Street Glide for a day. Nice bike. I put about 170 miles on it.

On the plus side, I liked the fairing with music and instrumentation cluster (I've got a fairing, but no tunes and no cluster). Sixth gear was really nice, and I sat more upright on the Harley (due to the drag bars on my 1100). Power was good and the bike was smooth at speed. Range was much better than the V-Star. I could've gone another 70 miles before filling up.

On the negative side, the bike shook at idle when at stoplights, and first gear was often hard to find. The tranny was a bit "clunky", but it was a rental so who knows who rode it prior. It did have low mileage. The seat sits you higher than on my 1100 and the floorboard position was not as comfortable but, again, I added Scootworks extensions to mine. Head buffet was noticeable at speeds above 60 mph, but it had a short shield and I was wearing a 1/2 helmet so that might have had an effect.

The seat was no less or more comfortable than any seat I've ever tried. After two hours my right leg started cramping.

With all that said, don't think I'd spend the kind of money they want for a Street Glide, but it does have me looking at other larger bikes (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda) with similar set-ups.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Was a 2016 or later? Those bikes have the newer Milwaukee 8 engines and are completely different bikes due to new engine and suspension changes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ran across a deal on a 2014 Street Glide that I could't pass up a few months ago. I figured I could ride it for the rest of the season and then decide whether to sell it and make a few dollars or sell my Stratoliner in the spring.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the Street Glide. I was surprised at how nimble the handling is for a bike that size. It doesn't have the power the Stratoliner has, but it doesn't feel like it's lacking. It turns out the Harleys aren't as slow as the guys riding them would lead you to believe. Besides, having a 6th gear and electronic cruise control is more than fair trade off for any lost power. I also like the fact that there are hundreds of accessories available for it, rather then a couple of dozen.

I'm going to miss the power of the Stratoliner, but not enough to keep it around. Maybe in a few years if the Venture or Eluder is still around I'll take a look at one of those, but for now it looks like for the first time in 13 years I won't have a Yamaha in my garage.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Great review, thanks! How much did you pay for a rent?

Smoothness, much more comfortable seat, wind protection and hard bags were the reasons why I switched to HD Road King and traded-in my Stryker. I would keep the Stryker for "around-the-town" bike if I could. It's a nice bike. But RK is a lot more comfortable and smoother on highways. It is actually not bad in town as well for its size and weight.

I'd get a Bolt for going around the town if I had cash so hopefully one day I'll be able to do it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts