Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever needed a specification, testing procedure, repair info or another manufacturer info on you bike? The repair manual for your bike is where all this info is at. For years you had to go to the dealer to buy one. Then companies like Haynes started to produce their own and sell them. Then there were bootleg scanned PDF copies that were normally poorly scanned, missing pages and couldn't do a document search. In the past few years that has changed. One resource I use is:
It's an official copy of most repair manuals that are viewable online, downloadable, searchable and FREE. You can set up an account online, bookmark your manual and use on line. You can have many manual bookmark within your online account. I use the online account function most of the time but also keep a downloaded copy on my phone for those times I have no signal. Not all motorcycle manuals are available but most are. It's quick, easy, free and not a bootleg copy. Go to their site, type in your bike, I've learned not to enter year as many manuals are for multiple years with one manual that has supplements for individual yearly updates at the end of manual. I'm sure many of you already use this resource but some may not. Have fun and explore.

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another great resource for after market accessories has been discussed before, Dennis Kirk. If you are like me, you get something new for your bike, use the enclosed installation instructions to install, then later need to change something, look for instructions that I told myself to file away, only not to able to find them.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Another great resource for after market accessories has been discussed before, Dennis Kirk. If you are like me, you get something new for your bike, use the enclosed installation instructions to install, then later need to change something, look for instructions that I told myself to file away, only not to able to find them.

I’ve always had hard copy manuals for all my vehicles. I think they’re a necessity, but you bring up an excellent thought Les.
I don’t have that manual with me on the road.
It’s funny because have a file app that has all my various carwash system manuals in it including schematics.... yet I never thought about having it for my bike. 🤔
Sounds like something I need to do so I have it while out and about..

Thanks for the idea! 👍

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
299 Posts
Interesting site. Bookmarked. Thank you.

I downloaded the "Repair Manual" for my 1100. Interesting that it doesn't have any title page or footers or any identifiable source. Leaves me wondering where the document comes from. I already have the shop manual, and this is definitely different than that, although some of the diagrams look to be the same, electrical schematics in particular. So now I have PDFs of the owners manual, shop manual, and repair manual. Probably still can't repair my bike. :)

Incidentally, I've seen these sites come and go. Either for financial reasons or maybe they get sued over copyright content. My advice is to just download whatever interests you now, as it may not be there later. I find Google Drive to be a convenient way to make a document available on all devices.

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bpounds, I agree that the source of some of the manuals might be questioned, but manualslib has been around since 2012. I discovered them in 2013 when looking for a manual for my 1100. I have the mechanical aptitude and experience to repair most anything, but need testing specs as all models are slightly different. If you notice on most of my repair advice I include a screenshot of manual, manualslib is where I get the screenshots. I just wanted to share one of my resources. I've found the online manuals are great and I use them a lot. But I've got every printed repair manual for all domestic cars and trucks from 1965 to 1978, and I mean every one. I have some later model stuff but not much. What interesting is I've never turned wrenches professionally. Just pulled a few down to get an idea.

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just click PDF I want and save.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Have you ever needed a specification, testing procedure, repair info or another manufacturer info on you bike? The repair manual for your bike is where all this info is at. For years you had to go to the dealer to buy one. Then companies like Haynes started to produce their own and sell them. Then there were bootleg scanned PDF copies that were normally poorly scanned, missing pages and couldn't do a document search. In the past few years that has changed. One resource I use is:
It's an official copy of most repair manuals that are viewable online, downloadable, searchable and FREE. You can set up an account online, bookmark your manual and use on line. You can have many manual bookmark within your online account. I use the online account function most of the time but also keep a downloaded copy on my phone for those times I have no signal. Not all motorcycle manuals are available but most are. It's quick, easy, free and not a bootleg copy. Go to their site, type in your bike, I've learned not to enter year as many manuals are for multiple years with one manual that has supplements for individual yearly updates at the end of manual. I'm sure many of you already use this resource but some may not. Have fun and explore.

View attachment 91186
I just went to the site to check for the 2018 SVTC manual and all the have is just the owners manual. No “repair” manual.
I keep my owners manual on the bike, so that’s useless.
Also, I’m not very comfortable wanting to download a “FREE” manual and having to leave my credit card info with them.

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went to the site to check for the 2018 SVTC manual and all the have is just the owners manual. No “repair” manual.
I keep my owners manual on the bike, so that’s useless.
Also, I’m not very comfortable wanting to download a “FREE” manual and having to leave my credit card info with them.
I've never left a credit card number or even been asked to on the manuals I've downloaded. I'm normally working on 5 year plus old vehicles so I'm sure newer vehicles are not going to be free. As I stated in my post, "Not all motorcycle manuals are available but most are". Put in Vstar 1100 and you will see what I was talking about. This resource works well for me and my old stuff, was just trying to help others who might want another resource for repair information. If you fell uncomfortable, them by all means please disregard this resource.

Next page:

Next page:

Down load page:

A few Yamaha manuals available, there are many more.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
J
I've never left a credit card number or even been asked to on the manuals I've downloaded. I'm normally working on 5 year plus old vehicles so I'm sure newer vehicles are not going to be free. As I stated in my post, "Not all motorcycle manuals are available but most are". Put in Vstar 1100 and you will see what I was talking about. This resource works well for me and my old stuff, was just trying to help others who might want another resource for repair information. If you fell uncomfortable, them by all means please disregard this resource.

View attachment 91236

Next page:
View attachment 91237

Next page:
View attachment 91238

Down load page:
View attachment 91239

A few Yamaha manuals available, there are many more.
View attachment 91240

View attachment 91241

View attachment 91242
Just to be clear. It’s not a criticism of your sourcing. I did remember you said “not all are free.” It was telling me my Owners manual was free but it asked for a card they said “to validate where I live”, because some are not allowed distributed over seas.
Thanks for the source though @lesblank !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts