Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tires are the original Bridgestone Exedras, 6600 miles, sidewalls look brand new, and still good tread. I was thinking replace this winter but mfg date is 2008. I've put 2200 miles on the bike since Feb and will prob put another 2000 on by year end.

Pull the trigger now or wait until winter? I'm not an over aggressive op, never ride 2up, generally avoid the Interstate if I can.

Bike is 2009 V-Star 1300.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those tires are six years old and probably have dry rot; even if they look new. Motorcycle tires that old have lost a lot of their 'grip' and may slide out in a sharp turn. You don't want to experience this during a decreasing radius turn. Here in Arizona I just replaced both of my tires on my 2012 (16,000 miles). The front looked good, but close insepction showed hairline cracks in the sidewall. Only two years old and already dry rot. YMMV

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
replace them ASAP. what you can't really see by looking at them is how hard/sticky/stable that rubber has become. any time you have to lean or turn and you give that tire less of a contact patch between you and the pavement, how much do you trust its grip? my tires are 2 years old and still look pretty new, but i know they have lost a ton of stickiness/grip because my back tire slides a little when doing hard turns.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
replace them ASAP. what you can't really see by looking at them is how hard/sticky/stable that rubber has become. any time you have to lean or turn and you give that tire less of a contact patch between you and the pavement, how much do you trust its grip? my tires are 2 years old and still look pretty new, but i know they have lost a ton of stickiness/grip because my back tire slides a little when doing hard turns.
I know, man. Just hoping for someone to tell me its ok to squeeze a few more miles out of these shoes. They really do appear in excellent condition but.....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took a good look at the tires again today as I was washing the bugs off and still amazed at how well the sidewalls look. But gonna check on a new set this week - probably Exedra Max in the OEM size. Thanks for affirming what I really already knew.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I was curious what I was going to find on the topic of tire life and when I saw Bevo's statement about replacing a 6 year old tire ASAP, I got concerned. I bought my 2008 Liner used back in February with only 2156 miles and I have since put on another 2500 miles. I am assuming that these are the original Dunlops, so they are 7 years old. I don't notice any handling problems and sidewalls don't have any cracks, and still have some tread life. Sounds like I should probably mount a new set ASAP to stay on the safe side. Probably will go with the Commander 2's based on what I've read here.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There might be a difference depending on whether the bike was stored inside or outside in the sun and the weather. I am certainly not expert enough to know for sure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
New Michelin Commander 2 front and rears showed up yesterday, will get them mounted this weekend.

Ok -got new rubber mounted and went up the coast this weekend with a couple buds. Stopped at Deer Loadge in Ojai and took Mr Roady thru a few twisties on Hwy 33, new rubber feels good.

Just thought I'd add that I checked my new tires for their date - front is 2814 and rear is 3514.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts