Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys could give me some help. I've replaced my starter clutch after it crapped the bed, but my bike sat a few months over the winter while I procrastinated working on it. Now that I have the starter clutch put in, it seems to be working. I mean, it starts to crank the bike, but most of the time wont actually run.

I've found that if I really give it lots of throttle, it'll fire up, but only the front cylinder is actually firing. What is causing this? Did I do something wrong in the starter clutch install or is it unrelated?

Much thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you follow a service manual or online write-up for replacing that clutch? Did you triple check to make sure the timing was set correctly before you buttoned up the engine after the replacing the starter clutch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you follow a service manual or online write-up for replacing that clutch? Did you triple check to make sure the timing was set correctly before you buttoned up the engine after the replacing the starter clutch?

Yeah I was using my Clymer's manual and made sure to align everything. Pretty sure it's a carb issue, it was sitting all winter and had a good amount of miles since last service. Since I was working on the starter I was just biased to think it was teh clutch. I'm pretty much a pro at putting that damn thing in now, being how I've installed and pulled it three times in 2 days :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you find a resolution?

I'm hoping I don't run into this problem as well.

I just tore into mine today. I verified the starter clutch was FUBAR.
I now need to get the bike off the lift and move them to the side of the garage so the wife can park out of the ice while I await parts.

I need a bigger garage!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts