Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock air filter assembly is completely 'fake' at this point with K&N pods up under the tank.

I'd like to get something a little jazzier looking than the stock circle. Are there any out there that simply screw on to the existing housing, e.g. just a new "lid"...? I'm fairly open to looks - I like the look of the Kuryakyn hypercharger, but several "shield" shaped ones also look nice to me. Just less "plain" is really the goal.

Or do I have to go buy the full setup from someone, even though it's not actually being used?

Thanks,

KC

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Casey I'm right there in the same boat with you. What I did find is made by Yamaha of all places. Its just a cover insert that sticks on the existing one. http://http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/billet-air-cleaner-insert-ball-milled-yamaha-xv650-v-star/part/STR-4YV27-42-02?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=3231&kpid=3231&gclid=CJeB7ZeTssUCFYUTHwodsngAug

This ad states it's for a 650 but I found it once on a Yamaha site that listed the same part # for the 650 and 1100. Don't know if that's enough change for you but that's the only "cheap" solution I have found.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Summer. I'll have to ponder if that's the one for me, but given the cost vs. a whole new set up I won't even really be using, I'll ponder carefully :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They also make a couple matching covers for that side on the engine as well. FYT I was wrong about it fitting the 650 and 1100. I did some research after sending that post and the 1100 has a different part number.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I never thought the carbs were so ugly you had to cover them up.....lol.... plus better cooling!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's definitely an option, Mick. In the link Mike provided, the guy even says the look of the bike w/o covers is pretty good. If I don't find/go with something that adds to the look of the bike in and of itself (spike, hpercharger, etc.) I'll probably go with "nothing" over the plain "dinner plate" stock filter cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts