Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 06 Stratoliner. Moved up from a 1300 Tourer, which I liked, but just wasn't comfortable for the wife. I'm only 5' 8", so I had a lowering link with a progresive spring installed. It lowered it just enough so I can comfortably flat foot it. It already had a Mustang seat with backrest, power commander (which I know nothing about) and risers. I am looking for a handle bar replacement which will be narrower, lower and a little more pullback. I had purchased a Flanders handlebar, but it would not fit with the stock cables (I was told they would). During that handlebar replacement attempt, the mechanic foun a broken bracket under the handlebar, which the previous owner had taped then reinstalled.
Are the Yamaha Touring handlebars that much better? I would also like to put on a Mamphis Shades batwing fairing next year. Does anyone know if the OEM brackets will work or do I need the Memphis Shades Mounting Brackets. Are ther any other reasonably priced fairings out there?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Are the Yamaha Touring handlebars that much better? I would also like to put on a Mamphis Shades batwing fairing next year. Does anyone know if the OEM brackets will work or do I need the Memphis Shades Mounting Brackets. Are ther any other reasonably priced fairings out there?

Tough question. The Yamaha touring bars, in concert with an Ultimate seat and Kury grips, made a world of difference for me.

Here's a side by side (OEM on left/Touring on right):

A little more pullback, a little narrower, slightly higher. A $195.00 investment for the bars. With my arm length and riding posture it's worth it. Like anything else, a mod has to fit you to make it worthwhile, and you're the only credible judge of that.

My Reckless fairing fits the Strat standard windshield attach points.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect adjustments:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure, but Yami Touring bars AND risers would probably require new cables/hoses.
I have the Yami T-bars and they help A LOT! All OEM cables/hoses.

MS Batwing requires MS mounts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the info. The previous owner had risers with the OEM bars. I will probably go with the touring bars as I cannot find anything else. I will also check out the Reckless fairing. You have a sharp looking bike Springer.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
You have a sharp looking bike Springer.
Too kind by half, suh!:)

One other consideration. When I was looking at Star Risers/Touring Bars/Grips, etc. the service manager and I quickly found that installation of the risers with my fairing configuration would make access to the ignition frustrating at best, infernal at worst. Quite frankly, getting at my ignition switch under that Fusion radio is an art form requiring continual practice. Installation of risers would have made it a practical impossibility.

Fortunately the touring bars had enough rise as to fit my riding posture.

The Star fairings aren't much better, even without a radio...

Caveat emptor, eh?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Springer; did you happen to measure the difference between to handelbars in height.. I have Barron Risors so I know i would have to replace cables or put the old risors back. i was thinking about apes but this looks like it would be just what i want with the risors thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got my '09 Strat back from the shop after getting the touring handlebars installed. I'm 6'4" and didn't like the sitting position for long rides with the stock handlebars. I thought about getting risers as a solution but, because most of the wires on the Roadliner/Stratoliner bikes go thru the bars, I was afraid it would have to be totally rewired (this might not be the case, but I wasn't going to find out the expensive way). After putting a couple hundred miles on the new bars, I can say I like them a lot. I can sit almost entirely upright (which actually makes me hate the stock seat even more) which is more comfortable for me. The Yamaha touring bars use the same wiring harness as the original ones, though the mechanic said it cost me more in labor than they thought because it took a while to thread all the wires thru the new bars. I know it's just an illusion, but I actually feel like I sit closer to the ground and have better stability with the new bars. Once I install better seats, I think Big Blue will be ready for some longish rides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry for the extra message but Springer, where did you get the fairing? It's sweeter looking than many of the others I've seen on the Internet. Do they come in the actual Yamaha paint colors or did you have to get them painted yourself? Do they come off easily like the windshield (probably a dumb question because the point of a fairing is that they're not supposed to come off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the touring handlebars and new grips today. The dealer closest to me did not have either one in stock. He went to order them and told be that the handlebars were on back order until the third week in September. The grips, Avon, had no back order date. I checked online and the two places I called also did not stock the parts. They just ordered from Yamaha. A buddy of mine suggested I call his Yamaha dealer. They did not have the parts BUT took the extra step and found 3 Yamaha dealers that did have the parts. I called the Minnesota dealership and he will be sending me both parts at a non-inflated price with free shipping. I was told by my dealer that the touring handlebars are very popular. My question is, why are they so popular? Is it because the original bars are just too big. It's been a very frustrating month trying to find narrower bars with more of a pullback. I settled for the touring bars. I'll soon find out if they are that much better.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Sorry for the extra message but Springer, where did you get the fairing? It's sweeter looking than many of the others I've seen on the Internet. Do they come in the actual Yamaha paint colors or did you have to get them painted yourself? Do they come off easily like the windshield (probably a dumb question because the point of a fairing is that they're not supposed to come off?
Reckless Fairing; they will color match for you. The fairing attaches reasonably easily and secures with two through bolts and a double spacer nut (holds to both inner and outer surfaces of the mounting tab; does require a little manual dexterity and a half inch open end wrench to properly adjust and secure). Not a huge operation. Fusion unit is the only electrical connection and it's a three prong quick disconnect.

http://www.recklessmotorcycles.com/stratoliner.htm

My question is, why are they so popular? Is it because the original bars are just too big.
Most people that change to the touring bars do so because the lower height and wide spread of the OEM bars forces them into an uncomfortable forward lean riding posture, and some have found that the wide spread of the OEM bars actually hampers their ability to maneuver the bike in lock-to-lock steering.

Like anything else, it has to work for you to be worthwhile. We can all rave about our mods, but in the final analysis if they don't fit your style, taste and physique, they won't feel as if they were worth your $$.

Good luck

Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bigfrankie, I initially liked the wide bars and seating position of the Strat, probably because I hadn't ridden in 30 years and the wider bars made the bike feel more stable or something. After I got more comfortable with the bike, I started noticing it wasn't very comfortable when riding longer distances. If I tried to sit up straighter, only my fingertips would reach the grips (not optimal). The new ones are a bit narrower, and it is taking me some time to get used to them but, as I noted, I feel like I'm stiing "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

As for why Yamaha doesn't put the bars on the Roads/Strats it's probably because they're sold as cruisers, not as tourers. Make sense to me. You really jumped thru some hoops to get what you wanted. I live in a fairly small city (~400,000) so not a lot of choices of Yamaha dealers. I think we have two but one's across the river in IL and I hate IL because that's where they keep them damned Cubs. Sorry for the digression. I traveled to WI for a while and found a couple really good dealers. One was just south of Green Bay (near Neenah or Oshkosh, if I remember correctly). I almost prefer dealing with them for things I buy. They'll ship, they give great customer service and I'll take that over price in most (but not ALL) situations. Sound like the MN dealer did you right.

I kept my stock grips b/c I like them, but I did put on a Throttlemeister RPM control. It's like a cruise control except all it does is use a friction method to lock the grip in a certain position. Fine for straight-and-level, but you have to constantly adjust for up and down hills. Small price to pay for the convenience but, if I decide to use Big Blue as a tourer in the future, I might break down and get a proper cruise control. Most of them just look like clunky add-ons (which I guess they are), and the "meister" works fine for most of my riding. In addition, they look just like regular grip ends, so the aesthetic isn't ruined.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I did put on a Throttlemeister RPM control. It's like a cruise control except all it does is use a friction method to lock the grip in a certain position.
A word (or two) of caution. If you go to almost any unbiased review of "throttle/lock/friction lock" cruise controls, you'll find a never-ending list of rueful anecdotes about how a glove or sleeve caught the device, usually at low speed in traffic/parking lot, and the resulting power surge left the hapless rider up against it...against other vehicles, walls, lamp posts, etc.:(

I dearly miss the electronic cruise control of my Wing, but I'd rather have stiff fingers than run the risk of an unwanted power surge when I'm not prepared for it, particularly from 113 cubic inches just rarin' to gooooooo....

Just my .02.

Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll have to check out the anecdotes. The only problems I've had so far are when I come up to a stop sign and forget it's on. I start out and the friction keeps the throttle from pouring on the power until I, embarassedly, take it off. Also, when changing gears, you have to remember to undo it or the engine might rev up and throw you backwards when you let out the clutch. The 3rd thing I've had happen is that, when it's on, I sometimes "forget" how to add power and end up turning the grip the wrong way. That NEVER happens unless I'm using the "meister" I haven't experienced any slow-speed or parking lot problems but that's probably because I have to almost turn the thing all the way to it's stop to get it to grab in the first place. That's not to say it COULDN'T happen; if Gremlins (and Gremlin bells) exist ANYTHING is possible.

All that aside, I feel comfortable having them, though I probably shouldn't reccomend them anymore, lest someone hurt themself or others and it be on my conscience. I guess I made it to 60 WITHOUT being smart - musta been lucky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I attemped to replace the handlebars myself, as the dealer couldn't get to it until this week. I got all the controls off and started taking apart the electrical. I could not figure out how some of the wires come off of the plastic pieces so as to feed the wires thru the handlebars. Put it all back together (and everthing still worked) and took it to the dealer. I spent 2 hours on it and so did the dealer. I have yet to go on any ride other than the 1 mile from the dealer so I cannot say if there is a real difference. While sitting on the bike at home adjusting the bar height and the mirrors I can tell you that at 5' 8" it will still be a reach. The Mustang seat also sits me a bit lower. The seat does have the backrest, which I do not run in the upright position. I run it lowered which supports me just above the hip AND pushes me about 2" closer. If my wife didn't like riding so much I'd have a bike with a smaller frame, but as far as the bike goes, it's a nice ride and has more than enough of power when riding two-up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts