Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Chino here. I have a small dilemma that I'm confronted with 1) one of my light bulbs in my left passing lamp went out, how do I remove it to replace it 2) the light bulb has a 3H 12V 35W bulb, my question is can I replace it with a bulb that is 3H 12V 55W. The passing lamp is on my Roadliner, if that makes any difference. Pls give me a shout out and get me up to speed on what I need to do. Thank you....God's blessings.

·
2,486 Posts
I ride an 1100 so I'm afraid all I can offer is a welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will reply with an answer to your question though.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,412 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I'm on an 1100 so can't help much. My concerns would be the extra heat the bulbs would generate and can the housing handle it. The other issue might be the extra 40 watt draw. Do you have any other electronic add ons that would stress charging system. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5655-yammy-ya-got.html?highlight=Yammy

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/110258-where-you.html

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/25113-how-experienced-you.html

Ride often and safe.

·
Administrator
13,279 Posts
now that you've posted your introduction post, you're able to post elsewhere on the site. i would advise posing your question in the general bike forum here. i would also advise against putting a higher wattage bulb on your bike. it will draw more from your battery, and as already said, will produce more heat. if you are replacing the factory halogen bulb, there are tons of same wattage halogen replacements on the market to choose from. i'd imagine you would want both passing lamps to look the same and not have one brighter than the other. so if you're replacing both, there are brighter halogen options to go for such as from PIAA, Sylvania, etc., or you could switch to LED which will be both brighter and less battery draw/heat than your current bulbs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Check out Superbrightleds and see what they have ,then replace both of them. They have a lot of options for brightness and color, super easy to order from, and real quick shipping. I just got all new gauge lights and they are great! They really are super bright and I won't ever have to change them again!

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chino. Please share some pics of your ride with us.
Bevo raises an excellent point, post your question in general bike talk, and there’s a lot more options out there now regarding bulbs, LED’s last longer and much brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just installed LED headlight bulb on my wife's 650. It's like Moon and Sun difference in lumens. (I know I know Moon only reflects light from Earth :smile: )

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Can LED be focused? (Never installed, never used. So I am a complete noob when it comes to LEDs)
the bulb itself - I don't think so. But I guess you could try to find different lens and point the headlight a bit more down so it won't blind the other drivers at night. It adds up a lot of visibility in a daylight - that was the main reason for my wife's bike modification. She does not ride at nights anyways. I've had an LED on my bikes for a couple of years and didn't have any issues either with upsetting people or unfocused light beam. All I did was just tilting the headlight to lower the beam a bit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
LED can be focused just like any other light.

The difference is using a normal bulb focusing lenses on an LED, as the led normally doesn't project light in the same directions as the other bulb does, so you get random bad light spots in your light pattern.

·
Administrator
13,279 Posts
Can LED be focused?
yes. and it SHOULD. both LEDs and HIDs should be installed with a projector. it throws the light further down the road where it should be and cuts off the top of the pattern to give you a true high/low beam so you aren't blinding people. if you buy an LED headlight housing, they all come with the projectors installed in the housing. otherwise, you can install an LED or HID bulb and projector inside your original headlight bucket, which will look something like this, but will also likely require some modification inside your bucket:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
led's are getting better they are putting cutoff shields on the low beam now so they aren't so blinding when installed in reflector housings in time they will make a perfect halogen replacement bulb in led

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
some of the newer yamaha bikes are equipped the LED lights, yes?

·
5,412 Posts
Venture is one. From Yamaha ad:

LED Lighting
Long rides don’t stop when the sun goes down, so the Star Venture features all-LED lighting to maximize illumination. LED brake lights and turn signals boost visibility, while the quad LED headlight assembly punches a huge hole in the darkness with crisp, bright light. And since LED technology uses less power and lasts longer than traditional bulbs, Star Venture owners can spend more time concentrating on riding.

·
5,412 Posts
From FJR 1300 ad:

Lean Angle-Sensitive LED Lighting System
The FJR1300ES utilizes Yamaha’s advanced LED lean-angle sensitive lighting system that allows riders to ‘see through’ corners for incredible illumination and improved low-light vision. The FJR1300ES is the first Yamaha motorcycle to feature this technology.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I have been checking out the listings for used FJR1300s, several years old they are about $4k to $5k

the new ones are $16k, and they have helical gears in the 6 speed transmission, LED lighting that Les listed, and a couple other new features that are not on the older ones.

So... its like $5k for a decent FJR, and another $10k to get the new stuff....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
some of the newer yamaha bikes are equipped the LED lights, yes?
i think in passing lamps yes but an led in a reflector headlight i'm not sure on that one, in the venture the led is in a projector part of the headlight and a halogen is still used in the reflector part of the headlight, at least that's how i remember it when i looked at one last month but i could be wrong

·
Registered
988 Posts
Spoke to OPT7 customer service and they told me that LED bulbs I installed on both of our bikes will perform well with traditional reflector setup (just like a direct replacement of the stock halogen bulb), but projector can be added to improve the pattern of the beam. Something I will think about. Like I said I haven't had any issues with blinding other drivers at night and all I did was just lowering the bucket a little bit. I need to figure out the price of projector setup who knows it might be cheaper just to get the daymaker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts