Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the 14 days of solid rain here, the 8x35mm socket head bolts on my bike are rusting. I've been keeping the bike covered, taking it out when the sun does randomly show, and coating it with WD40 - I'm just in a losing battle.

What are your opinions on replacing them with the same type of bolt in stainless steel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Due to the 14 days of solid rain here, the 8x35mm socket head bolts on my bike are rusting. I've been keeping the bike covered, taking it out when the sun does randomly show, and coating it with WD40 - I'm just in a losing battle.

What are your opinions on replacing them with the same type of bolt in stainless steel?

Not a problem. You can purchase SS head bolt kits for many engines. If you just buy bolts locally, the key is "same type" meaning not just thread size and length, but meets or exceeds strength specifications. If you are not experienced in bolts and marking identification, you can take them to an industrial fastener house and ask for a matching replacement in SS.

I'd recommend using Never-Seez or another high-temp anti-seize compound on the threads before tightening. SS can gall (seize) under high torque. Most of my problems have been stainless bolts into stainless or aluminum holes. I now put Never-Seez on all stainless bolts, unless I have good reason to use Lock-Tite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just replacing the two bolts that connect my V&H Cruzers to the factory exhaust. Am I right that heat protection will be more important than the strength rating, or do those go hand in hand?

Sounds like I'm okay to go with SS as long as I coat it with Never-Seez for heat protection?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am just replacing the two bolts that connect my V&H Cruzers to the factory exhaust. Am I right that heat protection will be more important than the strength rating, or do those go hand in hand?

Sounds like I'm okay to go with SS as long as I coat it with Never-Seez for heat protection?
Neither heat nor strength will be much of an issue for SS exhaust bolts. You're OK. The Never-Seez isn't exactly "heat protection." It acts as a lubricant when torquing the bolt up (increases clamp force over a dry bolt), prevents SS threads galling under torque, and insures you can get the bolt out someday. Good stuff.

(Sorry I misread your original post to mean you were replacing head bolts which are usually highly stressed. Exhaust bolts are usually lightly stressed.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, Galen.

I'm just tackling the little stuff right now - like the exhaust bolts. I'll move on to bigger and better things when I'm a little more experienced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts