Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 V Star Custom 1100 and am considering replacing the round air intake with a Baron style air intake as I was told they give better performance plus they look a lot better any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are you lookin for "Style" or "Performance" ? The Baron"s does look better, but you still have the associated plumbing and airbox and this is where the real restriction is. I tried the slip in K&N filter in the OEM dog dish. I did the Ram-Air Mod from E-bay. It wasn't till I did the full Pod conversion that I was satisfied. I used K&N RU-600s, jets I got local, info I needed here (www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm) and put together a PCV vent like the predator at Autozone/Ace Hardware. All for about $100.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Freeing up the air

From what I read that seems to be true. Systems like "Max Air" and such that make truly large changes in air intake are necessary to make a significant change. Along with this comes an increase in "top end noise" as well. From what I hear to get much increase at all you need to go the whole route. Intake, jets, and exhaust. Changing air flow through the whole engine and then increasing fuel, to restore fuel air mixture.

Dave

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I havent noticed the intake noise, also have Cobra Speedster Slashdowns. It seemed to have more whoooshing with the OEM and ram air setup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Help an inexperienced guy out here. Is the POD mod separate from the external air cleaner? The air ram under the seat looks like it scoops air from the front of the area under the seat? I've been looking at the airbox mod that is now-
- available on Ebay-

I've already done the stock exhaust mod with great results, and wanted to boost air flow from the front.

Any info greatly appreciated and applied to empty grey matter for future reference.
BacknSaddle

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Pod style air filters replace everything...from filter to air box. The filters mount right to the carbs.

That ram air mod on Ebay is a total rip off....it will do almost nothing for performance.

No matter what you do the the stock exhaust, unless you toss the front pipes into the garbage can, you' re not going to get much if any increase in performance. All you get is a little noise. They are so small a diameter and that is the biggest reason for poorer performance.

No matter what exhaust you have, pods will still give you 10 HP and it is the single most important performance modification you can make on an 1100. It's also one of the least expensive. It's not totally necessary to put on an aftermarket exhaust system to realize superb results...but they will make a dramatic difference with pods.

The other filter set ups out there that just replace the air filter do very little for performance and lots of riders put them on just for looks and use pods as their actual filter set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
THANK YOU Sick Mick. Good info.
BacknSaddle

P.s. I have seen an increase in power-- however slight-- with the Phelps exhaust mod. And it sounds better. I'm sure it will accommodate more airflow when I POD the front end. Love this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts