Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the starter clutch and opening the carb (again) later this week.
I already have the parts and the gasket that came with it is bent in one spot. Im sure some gasket sealer will do it well though.
I want some tips on things to service while I'm in there. I heard something about a bolt that backs itself out? having to do with the shifter?
I also wanted to make perfectly sure the timing is on point so I'll be doing a bunch of timing stuff with it.

Every gear looks to not be missing any teeth or anything. just want some pointers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take your time. Plan for a weekend evolution to give yourself enough time. Lay out the parts so that you can keep track of them. The little springs are a pain to get back in. just take your time and remember to put them back in.
thank you. Ill probably have about 5-6 hours no matter what day I do it, unfortunately. but i plan on taking my time and using all of the time I have alotted (having a one year old is why)
so I'm thinking work until everything is out, and laid out nice and perfect, taking a 30 minute break to breathe, and then putting it all back in.

·
Registered
2003 V Star 1100 Classic, Bluish-Silver
87 Posts
It took me a lot longer than 5 hours but ymmv. For example, it took me over an hour just to get the old gasket material off sufficiently. Multiple razor blades. I'm a perfectionist though.

Maybe different people will struggle with different things. As opposed to alphaomega, I had zero problems with the springs.

The thing I struggled with the most was keeping the generator rotor from turning when torquing the camshaft nut to spec. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I had the bike with the rear wheel on the ground, in gear, and with a buddy applying the rear brake and that generator rotor and camshaft would still turn like there was something giving internally in the engine. Most of the time it would spring back to where it started from, but a few times something internal would slip and I think it was actually the clutch slipping. So what I did that ended up working for me was using a strap wrench around the generator rotor along with having the rear wheel on the ground, the bike in gear, and a friend applying the rear brake. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I overtorqued the bolt and in doing so the flywheel wouldnt come off again, and i needed to fix the timing because I messed it up but now i cant. I also split the camshaft threads so i had to grind them down to put the bolt back. The rear cylinder is like one or two notches too close to the front cylinder so now it sounds like it has a cam job, however the valves arent clatterijg so ill just leave it as is. Ill eventually have to replace the whole camshaft to fix this issue but maybe i just wont ever have to get in there again until i have my own garage. It works and is extremely responsive now, although its a bit difficult to get started. Now im dealing with electrical issues because a bit of rain fell into the seat area while i was working. (It was like a foot out from the carport, damnit)
The turn signal fuse keeps busting. Im ripping the harness and doing continuity testing, and i learned how to build harnesses in school so im just gonna go through every wire and make sure theres no shorts. I also might have out too strong of a headlight in but it hasnt busted the fuse yet so?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts