Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha vstar 650
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help narrow down some possible issues my bike is having. I have a 2000 Yamaha Vstar 650 it has just over 40k. I was driving along today and my motorcycle started to decelerate so I tried a quick throttle twist and it sounded closer to a single cylinder engine and then it would kick back on and I’d drive fine. It happened quite a bit when I was trying to get it home and if I let the rpms drop the motor died. To get it started I had to push the start and twist the throttle multiple times. Is it just a plug or is it something bigger?

·
Registered
2003 RS Warrior S*2-1-2(G2). -AIS. VBAK/K&N(RC1290). CobraCVT. Ivans. SR-2. DC2-1.
84 Posts
Open up your gas cap and listen closely for the sound of air rushing in (vacuum inside the tank).

Is there plenty of fuel inside and is it fresh enough? Does the petcock travel smoothly fully-open to fully-closed.

Press the handlebar on-off switch a few times, does it snap nicely or is it loose.

Disconnect the NEG battery cable. Then disconnect POS battery cable. Inspect the cables along their entire visible length. Also see if a battery terminal ('post') is loose in the battery, just hand-wiggle one at a time. Wire brush clean then reassemble firmly.

To the extent you can, look to see if a spark plug boot is loose on its spark plug.

If no joy on these and if the gas in the tank is older than say nine months or so then try fresh fuel. Otherwise let us know.

·
Premium Member
V Star 650 Classic
73 Posts
it happened to me once it was loose coil wire inside the boot easy fix just cut few millimeters and install it back easy also you can check the carb maybe there's no fuel so if nothing worked clean the carb and properly tune it and you should be good

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Also check for air leak at intake manifold, check for cracks in the rubber of the manifold, also where it connects to the head. Use a small amount of sealant between the head and manifold.

Reactions: blueray95

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha vstar 650
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Open up your gas cap and listen closely for the sound of air rushing in (vacuum inside the tank).

Is there plenty of fuel inside and is it fresh enough? Does the petcock travel smoothly fully-open to fully-closed.

Press the handlebar on-off switch a few times, does it snap nicely or is it loose.

Disconnect the NEG battery cable. Then disconnect POS battery cable. Inspect the cables along their entire visible length. Also see if a battery terminal ('post') is loose in the battery, just hand-wiggle one at a time. Wire brush clean then reassemble firmly.

To the extent you can, look to see if a spark plug boot is loose on its spark plug.

If no joy on these and if the gas in the tank is older than say nine months or so then try fresh fuel. Otherwise let us know.
Battery is new
I saw no damaged cables
There was no resistance in the removal of the gas cap and it made no noise before I filled it. (Still had a gallon of gas left) after I filled it and test drove it and popped off the gas cap it made a short deep sound sounded like the ‘o’ in the word ‘do’

checked the boots, both sides I could wiggle slightly like a car’s boot but both were properly pushed down on the plugs

petcock is a little rusty on the knob but spun with the same type of resistance as when I first bought it. Petcock did have a fuel leak after the first week but the leak went away the following week.

handlebar switch snaps has no play.

Took another test drive didn’t seem to act up as much. Maybe at a gallon the petcock is having issues receiving fuel?

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
.Could be a fuel pump because the carb is higher than the bottom of the tank. It could be a fouled plus that stars firing. I think what Azwarrior is eluding to is the gas cap is vented

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha vstar 650
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.Could be a fuel pump because the carb is higher than the bottom of the tank. It could be a fouled plus that stars firing. I think what Azwarrior is eluding to is the gas cap is vented
The fuel pump clicking did sound weaker than when I first got the bike

·
Registered
2003 RS Warrior S*2-1-2(G2). -AIS. VBAK/K&N(RC1290). CobraCVT. Ivans. SR-2. DC2-1.
84 Posts
@Shadowblitz

Observations about this, sorry, just being sure:
" . . . after I filled it and test drove it and popped off the gas cap it made a short deep sound sounded like the ‘o’ in the word ‘do’ ".

I am thinking you have two troubles. First, from your post, it sounds like your fuel tank's air vent is plugged. When riding and consuming fuel the lack of vent flow slows fuel delivery. So the fuel's gravity flow cannot keep up with demand. With this set-up you would observe one carb losing fuel delivery before the other. Plus, after the bike sits awhile, the air slowly vents into the tank and would eventually allow fuel flow again, once any prior air bubble is forced thru. So it's hard to start. Then it repeats as above. I could be all wet. But if it were me I would get into it, and either prove it right or wrong so it's off the table. The e-copy of the service manual will be helpful, plus folks here will chime-in.

Related but separate, the bike's petcock may also be a bit plugged. It's common over time. I would pull it, clean and such, get new seal setup, and maybe even a new fuel hose depending on your observations.

I think, based on your posts, that these will fix it. I realize there is no way to know if other troubles exist but it seems unlikely because you have 40k on it and seem to ride regularly.

I'm anxious to know if this fixes it!

Fuel filter 1FK-24560-00
Petcock Packing 3AJ-24523-00
Petcock O ring 4X8-24512-00
Or complete assembly 21V-24500-10

Breather hose is under the tank, front center-ish. See page 11 of the 650 manual's Supplement its on (item 17).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also check for air leak at intake manifold, check for cracks in the rubber of the manifold, also where it connects to the head. Use a small amount of sealant between the head and manifold.
Way to check this is to spray carb cleaner or even wd40 around intake boots at idle, or as close to idle it will maintain . If rpm.s pick-up you found the issue.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
if the rpm changes either way that is the problem , it could go worse if it sucks carb cleaner in it

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha vstar 650
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Shadowblitz

Observations about this, sorry, just being sure:
" . . . after I filled it and test drove it and popped off the gas cap it made a short deep sound sounded like the ‘o’ in the word ‘do’ ".

I am thinking you have two troubles. First, from your post, it sounds like your fuel tank's air vent is plugged. When riding and consuming fuel the lack of vent flow slows fuel delivery. So the fuel's gravity flow cannot keep up with demand. With this set-up you would observe one carb losing fuel delivery before the other. Plus, after the bike sits awhile, the air slowly vents into the tank and would eventually allow fuel flow again, once any prior air bubble is forced thru. So it's hard to start. Then it repeats as above. I could be all wet. But if it were me I would get into it, and either prove it right or wrong so it's off the table. The e-copy of the service manual will be helpful, plus folks here will chime-in.

Related but separate, the bike's petcock may also be a bit plugged. It's common over time. I would pull it, clean and such, get new seal setup, and maybe even a new fuel hose depending on your observations.

I think, based on your posts, that these will fix it. I realize there is no way to know if other troubles exist but it seems unlikely because you have 40k on it and seem to ride regularly.

I'm anxious to know if this fixes it!

Fuel filter 1FK-24560-00
Petcock Packing 3AJ-24523-00
Petcock O ring 4X8-24512-00
Or complete assembly 21V-24500-10

Breather hose is under the tank, front center-ish. See page 11 of the 650 manual's Supplement its on (item 17).
So the fix for this was really dumb. I didn’t realize that the tank fuel level included the reserve. I thought it was two separate things so it may have been I ran out of fuel. I’ll have to wait till I run low again and if switching to the reserve on the petcock fixes the issue

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
Love the simple fixes!!

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha vstar 650
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love the simple fixes!!
I agree. Now I just gotta wait until it does it again and switch the petcock to see if I’m just an idiot XD

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No being an idiot, we call that normal. Wait till you start taking that bike apart because you didn't have the run button in the run position 😂. That I have done.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha vstar 650
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No being an idiot, we call that normal. Wait till you start taking that bike apart because you didn't have the run button in the run position 😂. That I have done.
I mean that’s fair XD. I’m also just used to my Dad’s bike I was using. It had a fuel gauge XD

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
885 Posts
Last year, riding my 650, it started acting real funny. It would loose power then come back. It seemed to run smooth then get rough. Coming up to an intersection where I had a flashing red light, the motor died and I coasted to the stop line. I almost killed the battery trying to crank it and get it to start. I was just about ready to give up when I remembered the fuel reserve and turned the valve. The bike started right up and I made it home.

I'd have to go back in time, to around when I first got a drivers license, for the last time I ran out of gas. It has been so long ago, that I forgot what the symptoms of running out were.

Reactions: blueray95

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the fix for this was really dumb. I didn’t realize that the tank fuel level included the reserve. I thought it was two separate things so it may have been I ran out of fuel. I’ll have to wait till I run low again and if switching to the reserve on the petcock fixes the issue
Excellent, that would be another way of running the carbs dry!!!!!! I'm having a good laugh, hope it has fixed [email protected]

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I ran out of fuel early on when pushing 175 miles on the tank. I knew instantly what is was but my recovery was very clumsy and somewhat unsafe as it died in the middle of a traffic lane.. luckily there was no traffic. Now I practice blindly reaching for the petcock as if I needed to switch to reserve while moving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts