Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Ok, lets do a gas tank 101 session here. The reserve is about 1 gallon of gas on a 650 stock tank. It is all together with the main supply.

The petcock has a metal type straw that goes up into the cavity on the gas tank. when it is turned to the ON position fuel will flow until the level reaches this tubes top. thats when the bike will sputter signaling driver to switch to reserve. when that is done the fuel is drawn from the lower section of the petcock which will run the bike
until the fuel level is depleted.

There is no separate tank for reserve.

jake;)

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I fill mine up from a 2 gallon plastic tank I take to the gas station.
I can inspect it prior to pouring it in. Most if not all of my riding is to and from work and weekends cruises. no long distance.

Everyday riding will more than mix the gas together in the tank.

It is far worse to keep gas in it and not ride. Always use fuel stabilizer
for winter storage and run Berrymans B 12 Chemtool in at least one tank per year. Great stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I figure there's enough jostling in the tank that the fuel remains well blended.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, lets do a gas tank 101 session here. The reserve is about 1 gallon of gas on a 650 stock tank. It is all together with the main supply.

The petcock has a metal type straw that goes up into the cavity on the gas tank. when it is turned to the ON position fuel will flow until the level reaches this tubes top. thats when the bike will sputter signaling driver to switch to reserve. when that is done the fuel is drawn from the lower section of the petcock which will run the bike

jake;)
Yea well....whatever. One of the big hitters I looked for in my back-up motorcycle was fuel availability and cruising range. Small bike (1100cc) and a 4.5 gallon fuel tank..COOL ! Well, only 2.7 gallons is usable and the japanese joke only gets 40 mpg so buying a Yamaha was the absolute worse decision I've ever made in my motorcycle buying career. You have to fill er up before you even have to go pee. Its like a Victory, you cant sell a Japanese bike because nobody wants one. Gonna give the 1100 to my boy......if he wants it which he may or may not. The thing is seriously a joke and I definitely dont get the yammy motorcycle love. Back to American for me. Real bikes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jbasile, I like my metric bike and would not buy any "American'' bike as you put it. They're not reliable thats my personal opinion. I will always buy a metric bike and the next one that I would get if I could afford it would be the Honda Goldwing or the new version Honda F6B Goldwing

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
There is always a balance that puts weight vs power.
The more your gross weight is the less your gas mileage will be.

Engine horsepower stays the same, but the bike can be loaded in many
different ways, Single rider, two up, loaded with bags, etc.
40 mpg on an 1100 loaded with options and a single rider is not too bad. There is a post on here of a v star 950 only netting 25 mpg .

My 650 has lightweight bags and no passenger seat and I can get
about 50 mpg in the city and a shade over 60 on the highway.

Also make sure your tires have the correct pressure in them.
It does make a difference.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here in SC, I can ride just about all year round. I try to use pure gas at all times and usually fill up with pure gas at the end of each ride. It's about 7 miles from the station that sells pure gas (E0) to my house. I do that with the petcock on reserve. I know the gas gets mixed but it's just something I do. In the winter months I add Sta-bils just in case there is several weeks with cool weather.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Stabil is good, Stabil marine is better. Look for the green colored bottle. The green is designed for Ethanol fuels.

Berrymans B12 chemtool is a fuel system cleaner. It also cleans carbon deposits from the valves and cylinders.

We have one no-ethanol fuel depot but is around 15 miles one way.

Never had an issue with Ethanol fuels. The correct additives help a lot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Resto, Ahh, So simple. Love it when things make sense.

Also, love my little Yamaha Virago 250. Wouldn't give it up for anything. I am 71 years and have been up and down the test tube with motorcycles, From a Harley 74 A frame to a Suzuki 65cc and four in between. I like Harleys (have owned two), but do not want to own another. For me, I'll take a Yamaha or Honda any day of the week (and twice on Sundays, as they used to say). Thanks for all the posts. Great hearing from all of you. Wavelength.

Also, I use Sea Foam gas conditioner. Any comments on that brand?

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
Good informitive thread guy's. Resto, thanks for the reference to the sta-bil marine. Wondered whether it was better after strolling thru Auto zone recently. My department uses seafoam exclusively in our county fleet vehicles and they swear by it. I've started using it and have no fuel issues.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I have found that Seafoam brand works really good for very dirty engines and fuel systems. The thing about these products is that they can be added in several ways.

Seafoam can be injected right in the carb with the spray bottle or
in the open carb bowl when it's been removed for cleaning.

Marvel mystery oil can be added to the oil, gas tank. It works good too. Most people I've talked to say it has karoseen in it (sorry for the spelling error).

Berrymans B12 chemtool Was offered to me by a fellow biker. He said he has used it many time with great results. And I tried it in my
Vstar and still have it mixed in the fuel in there now. After treatment
you can run just one ounce in the gas tank with fill up and then about every 6 tanks or 3 or 4 times a year.
My bike never ran better. So I chalk it up as a winner.

We sure can learn a lot on this forum. More than cc&D
thats for sure.

jake :) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts

jake
Yea well....whatever. One of the big hitters I looked for in my back-up motorcycle was fuel availability and cruising range. Small bike (1100cc) and a 4.5 gallon fuel tank..COOL ! Well, only 2.7 gallons is usable and the japanese joke only gets 40 mpg so buying a Yamaha was the absolute worse decision I've ever made in my motorcycle buying career. You have to fill er up before you even have to go pee. Its like a Victory, you cant sell a Japanese bike because nobody wants one. Gonna give the 1100 to my boy......if he wants it which he may or may not. The thing is seriously a joke and I definitely dont get the yammy motorcycle love. Back to American for me. Real bikes.

Sounds like someone has his panties in a knot ..... I'm not sure how he got on the topic of what is better by reserve tank ether way it was an uncalled for rant

·
Registered
48 Posts
when you use a fuel stabilizer (and you should,especially when the bike or any machine won't be used for an extended period) make sure you use one that is made to prevent ethanol related problems such as StaBil Marine or Star Tron.The original formula StaBil works well for storing non-ethanol gas but does nothing for ethanol problems. I own & operate a small engine shop and it's amazing how many problems the ethanol in fuel can cause. Sometimes a simple carb disassembly & cleaning takes care of it but many times a rebuild is required & in extreme cases carb replacement is necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I use stabil marine in all my stuff. Mowers, weedeaters, anything that will not be used very often or during the off season.

I have a Gas generator that we purchased brand new in 2004 and it still sits in my garage waiting to be used in case of a hurricane.

So 11 years it has sat maybe used 5 or 6 times. Every year I go out and uncover it . Start it up and run it with some electrical tool attached like a leaf blower. and run it until the fuel is down a bit,
1/4 tank or so. Refill to the top with fresh gas and add 1 oz of Stabil marine. Let cool , cover back up and it's ready to go.

I can go out there right now and fire it right up. Amazing stuff !

You cannot go wrong with this product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vermensta, I've been using Sea Foam. I'm considering Stabil Marine now. It looks less expensive per gal. It may even do a better job than Sea Foam.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Seafoam is more for really dirty engines and fuel systems.

Stabil marine is more for keeping everything related clean and working as it should.

It is the best I've found.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts