Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well poop. I opened the right switch assembly tonight to see if I could clean up the starter switch. It was told to my cousin that the switch is "Acting up". Yep, something is wrong as it only makes the starter click when I press it. I have push started the Stratoliner 3 times today. Previously, I could push the button in various spots and it would eventually catch. Not today though. I even tried adding the booster kit to see if maybe the battery is low but that did nothing.

To get the 2 screws out, I had to improvise some. The bottom screw is blocked by the throttle lock. I had to take the Philips blade from my Leatherman to get it. Tough not having the right tools.

I did clean the inside with CRS and found some sort of brown paper inside. At first I thought it was a MJ roach but not that.

The improvisation
20200724_202644.jpg
20200724_202641.jpg

the brown wad
20200724_202901.jpg

This is what it looks like in the light. This is half on it. Any idea what it is?
20200724_203123.jpg

the white square is the starter switch, pretty nasty in here.
20200724_203340.jpg

A few squirts of electrical cleaner and most everywhere I can see is clean.
20200724_203629.jpg

My work was for naught though. The switch does not start the bike, just hear clicks at the starter.

I do not have a voltmeter so I can't use that to troubleshoot.

I do suspect the battery or the starter is the issue but before I go there, I will retighten the battery cables tomorrow when the sun returns.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No luck on isolating the problem yet. But I have new questions about the wires. What are these too. The red taoed wire appears to have been on the positive lead from the battery once upon a time.
And these others are just loose under the seat. What are these for?
I still have just a click when hitting the starter button.
20200725_100831.jpg
20200725_100838.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
With that inline fuse holder looks like someone ran an accessory wire at one time and is now unhooked for whatever reason.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With that inline fuse holder looks like someone ran an accessory wire at one time and is now unhooked for whatever reason.
I wonder now if that maybe goes to one of the after market horns on the bike. The horn is not very loud so I think one of them is not powered.

I am thinking I should get a new battery now.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any way to do a load test on the battery? That is my favorite way to test a battery.
I do not, I am quite the luddite when it comes to electrical matters. If I can't clean something and make it work, I end up buying new things like the battery I ordered earlier today.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Boog, at a high school age my parents owned a service station (back when you had people that would pump your gas and check the oil). So I spent a lot of time turning wrenches and such. So over the past nearly 40 years I've accumulated a fair number of tools. With a fleet (cars, trucks, and tractors) to maintain I'm always needing batteries it seems. So having a $20 load tester is a handy tool.

Even if you don't have one, most auto parts stores will test a battery for free as well.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
You have to get a volt meter. It will teach you how to use it. The more you use it the more electrical stuff is. It is all logical. You can get cheap ones that only cost $5. My 1800 VTX did the same thing when it was semi warm. It was the switch.
I have a battery tester that will actually read the amount of cranking amps.
Good luck Boog

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I now have a voltmeter and will learn how to use it shortly, it is too hot outside to be work in direct sunlight.

I pulled the battery out and man was it hard to do. I thought it must be swollen to be in there so hard. Nope, just a tight fit.

I took it to AutoZone for a test and noticed the date on it is 11/19 so less than a year old. They ran it through their test machine and it comes back as a good battery. So I cancelled my battery order.

Once I go through wires with the voltmeter, maybe I can figure out why I only get a click. I hope it is just the starter relay. I thin that is easier to replace than the starter button. The starter button appears to need me to release the throttle cable to get to it and I don't have that much gumption just yet.

Reactions: LouA and lesblank

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made my way down to the starter relay. I see the PO has removed some stuff like the strap that holds the wires together atop the ECU.
I disconnected the starter relay and cleaned it with CRC. I tapped it on the asphalt in case that would jar it loose inside. I applied dielectric grease then replaced it to try again. I hooked up the battery but still only get the click at the relay
My attempt at using the voltmeter was incorrect but now I know based on a YouTube video what to try next time. I'm dine for the night now though.
20200727_174743.jpg
20200727_174937.jpg
20200727_201204.jpg

Reactions: Brad_G and lesblank

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some success, I installed a new starter relay just now and the bike started for a second. I tried a couple more times with the same result, even giving it a little throttle. It wont stay running. Then the rain hit so I buttoned it back up and came inside.

The bike ran good before this issue arose. Have I maybe reversed the leads on the relay? Is that why it won't stay running?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dang rain is really ticking me off. I want to ride the Strat tomorrow. Oh well, time for bed. After reading some more and watching YouTube videos on it, I will reattach it in the morning before work. I if that fails, I may reattach the old relay and try jumping it to see if that will start it and ride any way. If these don't work, I may try switching the top and bottoms on the two relays and see if that will do the trick. I need a drink...
Jumping realy leads.jpg

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
The click do suggest either the relay or poor connection to ground or between relay and starter . Since you have tried a different relay, poor connection is the more likely cause.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The click do suggest either the relay or poor connection to ground or between relay and starter . Since you have tried a different relay, poor connection is the more likely cause.
It starts but dies right away now. It ran great once started before by push starting.

Electricity doesn't like me...

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
Could be down to the same poor connection, the vibration from the engine can ruin the intermittent contact. Looking at the state of the bird nest left by the PO there is a significant likelyhood that there is one or more bad wires or contacts there. On my Virago 1100, there was an issue that in the end turned out to be a positive connector leading to the main fuse that was so corroded it crumbled between my fingers. Took a long time to find, though. But it could of course be something else entirely with your bike that a loose/damaged connection/wire.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bottom line, Yamato starts and runs now.

I cant explain how though.

Tonight I went out and put the new starter relay back in place. I made sure that it was connected correctly. I reattached the battery. Turned key on, pressed the starter button, NOTHING. No click at all. I began disconnecting it and the top fell off. The small brass connection came off the positive lead and fell deep into the bowels of the bike. I found it after a brief search.

I then placed the old relay back in line, click. Same as before. I jumped the two relay leads with my screw driver, bike started then died. I did this 3 times, each time it died.

I took it off and reassembled the new relay. I put it on, hit the starter button and the bike fired right off and continued running till I shut it off once it had warmed up.

I guess the new relay was loose on top from the beginning and not allowing a full electrical connection maybe. Or, it is magic? Beats me but it runs now and that is what is important.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Boog BRAVO! Way to go. Electrics can be funny - best advice is to take things logically and do ONE THING at a time (which you did) and voila! You've successfully troubleshoot and made the repair.

Go Ride and feel proud of what you've accomplished!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Boog BRAVO! Way to go. Electrics can be funny - best advice is to take things logically and do ONE THING at a time (which you did) and voila! You've successfully troubleshoot and made the repair.

Go Ride and feel proud of what you've accomplished!
Thank brother shipmate. I do think I should order a Yamaha OEM relay though as this one has fallen apart once and may not last. I think having a spare is prudent now.

Reactions: LouA and lesblank

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I've always been a fan of carrying onboard spares. After restoring / driving 40+ year old British cars (MGBs), I learned quickly about the "Prince of Darkness", Lord LUCAS!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yep MG and the famous( +) ground, I had a '67 midget and a '69 MGB, when I was done with them they were( -) ground with nice stereo. My first one even had an 8 track

1 - 20 of 22 Posts