Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VSTAR 650 classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2001 650 classic with 29,008 mithat has sat for thr past 9 years(story of how I got this bike is on the new member forum). The bike thankfully was stored with no gas in it at all and no battery. First things I did was hook up a battery and pull plugs to check for spark and there was none. I diagnosed that to a faulty pick up coil by testing each ignition component according to the shop manual online.

Once I had spark I put some gas in the tank and the bike ran for a solid 2 seconds before it died. I turned the key off and it appears the fuel pump is not priming or even attempting to prime. Frustrated I walked away for a few hours to go back through the manual to figure out how to test the fuel pump. Armed with the information needed, I went back outside, turned on the key and had no fuel pump prime and no neutral light and on top of that, the bike would no crank over at all. After 30 minutes or so of trying to shift through the gears to insure it is in fact in neutral, I'm no closer now then when I started.

The fuel pump ohms appear to be within spec. I believe I have traced the issue down to the relay unit part number 5kp-81950-00
I have gone through over 100 threads attempting to confirm this and 1 thread specifically has me convinced this is the issue but the OP never confirmed the fix for their bike. I'm not 100% sure how to test the relay to confirm if it is bad or not since the shop manual picture and the actual unit do not look the same but the wire colors appear to be correct.

Any information and help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I am on the right track not way off in left field.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hang in there! The 650 is very popular here. No spark issue has been raised many times on this forum and most are resolved. Just remember to take pictures of things before you take them apart and it also helps to make yourself a template out of cardboard so things go back on the same way they came off. Most of all do not let yourself get frustrated. Like I said there are many 650 owners who can assist. And most importantly they will. There have even been instances where a fellow member has traveled to help a fellow member. So hang in there the V Star Army will be here soon!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Since it sat for so many years. Make sure the fuel lines & filter are not clogged.

How expensive is a replacement fuse? Would it be worth to get one on principle because it sat for so long?

Also, have you double checked all the wire connectors are in good shape? Especially, the ground wires.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,645 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VSTAR 650 classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man you guys are lightning fast with these replies! The manual I downloaded looks a little different to that one. Thank you guys for all the help so far! I will be testing out the relay tomorrow afternoon seeing as I have a softball game tonight.

To scrumdown the condition of the wires and connectors are good. My big concern now is loss of the neutral light and no starter function.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I believe all our Star bikes have a sensor/relay/coupler on our kickstand that if down & not in neutral. The bike won't start. Unless the clutch is engaged.

So I would check that & the neutral switch itself. The neutral switch assembly on you bike is on the left side, below the rear spark plugs. Roughly, about the middle of the engine.
In the picture, it's parts 11, 12, & 13.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hopefully you and Les are on the right track, but just a couple of thoughts to inject.
-Did you check the gas tank internal for rust before adding fuel?
- Are you sure you don't have a wider system electrical issue (loss of neutral light, wont crank, no fuel pump)? Any other electrical issues... lights, horn?
- to confirm neutral shift, the bike should roll easily with clutch released

·
8,645 Posts
To scrumdown the condition of the wires and connectors are good. My big concern now is loss of the neutral light and no starter function.
With the stand down - you can only start in neutral.

If you have the stand up, you can start in any gear with the clutch lever engaged.

If the stand is up, and in neutral, you can start without the clutch engaged.

Check continuity to wire on neutral switch and then neutral switch itself.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Start at the beginning. Check all fuses, check battery connection at both ends on + cable, check -cable both ends.
Make sure the kill switch is on, check the connection for the cable coming out of relay to starter.
check all connections on starter relay ( this is the relay the + battery cable goes to ),

Post back with the results of what you have

·
Registered
2001 VSTAR 650 classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Scrumdown the neutral switch is one of my favorites for suspected culprits as well.

@dmil123 I believe the relay unit controls most of those items which is why I believe it is faulty. And the fuel tank is in really good condition. Currently it is off for means of diagnoses.

@lesblank the kickstand switch is for sure in working order. The bike had run briefly 3 hours before all of the issues arose.

@Jspree the starter relay next to the batter is the only one I have not checked since these issues came up.

·
8,645 Posts
Do you lights work? Reason I ask it's a fairly common issue that the negative battery cable where it attaches to the frame get corrosion between frame and lug. If no power at all, check battery for voltage, 12.4 or more, then battery cables.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
295 Posts
When you put 12 volts to the A and B on the above diagram did you get the click that the coil pulled in? the same goes for the main relay the terminals closest to the B and M are the coil it should pull in with 12 volt and you should hear a click

·
Registered
2001 VSTAR 650 classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@lesblank yes the lights work but do not have a horn. I will check voltage tomorrow.

@scootersage I have not checked that yet. It will be tomorrow afternoon when I get the chance.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
295 Posts
I am not really familiar with your bike but on mine all those switches seem to be in series and just looking for a ground. Mine it turned out to be my decompression seloniod the coil must have broken wire inside and signal stopped there. bad spelling today sorry

I am not really familiar with your bike but on mine all those switches seem to be in series and just looking for a ground. Mine it turned out to be my decompression seloniod the coil must have broken wire inside and signal stopped there. bad spelling today sorry
I retracted my comment about getting around saftey switches not a good idea after thinking it over.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Jumping out the switch to test is ok. I just would not do it on a permanent basis...Good Luck! Sounds like you are getting great advice so far!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since it sat for so many years. Make sure the fuel lines & filter are not clogged.

How expensive is a replacement fuse? Would it be worth to get one on principle because it sat for so long?

Also, have you double checked all the wire connectors are in good shape? Especially, the ground wires.

Ride smart! Ride often!
Also since it sat so long with no gas in it at all a carb check should do , by setting so long with no fuel the O rings and other rubber in the carbs could might be cracked or damaged. Also if your kill stitch on the kickstand is not worming correctly it will not let the bike turn over. Sont inow if someone has mentioned that already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2001 650 classic with 29,008 mithat has sat for thr past 9 years(story of how I got this bike is on the new member forum). The bike thankfully was stored with no gas in it at all and no battery. First things I did was hook up a battery and pull plugs to check for spark and there was none. I diagnosed that to a faulty pick up coil by testing each ignition component according to the shop manual online.

Once I had spark I put some gas in the tank and the bike ran for a solid 2 seconds before it died. I turned the key off and it appears the fuel pump is not priming or even attempting to prime. Frustrated I walked away for a few hours to go back through the manual to figure out how to test the fuel pump. Armed with the information needed, I went back outside, turned on the key and had no fuel pump prime and no neutral light and on top of that, the bike would no crank over at all. After 30 minutes or so of trying to shift through the gears to insure it is in fact in neutral, I'm no closer now then when I started.

The fuel pump ohms appear to be within spec. I believe I have traced the issue down to the relay unit part number 5kp-81950-00
I have gone through over 100 threads attempting to confirm this and 1 thread specifically has me convinced this is

I have gone through over 100 threads attempting to confirm this and 1 thread specifically has me convinced this is the issue but the OP never confirmed the fix for their bike. I'm not 100% sure how to test the relay to confirm if it is bad or not since the shop manual picture and the actual unit do not look the same but the wire colors appear to be correct.

Any information and help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I am on the right track not way off in left field.
just a though. one guy while riding hit emg. off switch?
the issue but the OP never confirmed the fix for their bike. I'm not 100% sure how to test the relay to confirm if it is bad or not since the shop manual picture and the actual unit do not look the same but the wire colors appear to be correct.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am picturing a bike that sat outdoors a bit ... or was covered outside, and thus has a bit of rust here and there. Is that accurate?

If so, clean EVERY ground connection you can find. From the battery cables to harness grounds - remove them, wire wheel or sand them and the bolt or nut, and make sure the wire itself can handle some amperage.

I've seen battery cables test perfect with a meter, but couldn't carry any amperage ... because every strand was broken, except ONE at the end of the ground cable. A simple voltage drop test while attempting to crank would have discovered this issue in seconds. I've also seen plenty of main fuses that were not visually blown, but had no continuity due to fatigue cracks, or corrosion internally, plus have seen good fuses with bad, high-resistance holders.

Just go through everything step by step, and you'll have it running before you know it. 👍🍻

·
Registered
2001 VSTAR 650 classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bike was kept inside of a garage for the near decade it was not running. I'm going to be checking all the grounds this week as well as the relay unit. The killswitch and neutral switch are also on my to check list

1 - 20 of 24 Posts