Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to go on the awesome ride with ChiefGunner but the weather got in the way...
The bike was awesome, I have had three different bike all taken to the Tail and I was very comfortable on this into the turns, although I was very reserved I was in sport mode and was able to keep up with others riders that were ahead of me. I have to say I didn't know the riders in front of me so when we caught up to them I wanted to apologize but the end of the video the dude on the bike that I was tailing says it all....
Another buddy and I rode this day so we did the Cherohala Skyway first got really comfortable and towards the end of the run I switched to Sport Mode and left it in sport for the rest of the day and figured I would tackle the Tail. Again not my best run but good enough.
I was scrapping hardware on the left many time, I started taking some of the curves alittle wide....
Scrapped the sidestand fairly well so that needs to be touched up with paint.
I want to take this south now.

I hope this video comes thru... it is about 23 minutes and it is from leaving Deals Gap resort to end.
Again the end sums it up.... Sorry again to the dude in front of me, I wasn't trying to push you...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Nice ride! That road is definitely on my bucket list.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It sure is a good thing you bought the slow color GARider!!!!!!!!

That Harley that was in front of you likes to cross that yellow line in the curves and likes to lean into the oncoming lane.

Its a good thing you did not get it out of second gear, BEEP BEEP, you might have run over that poor under powered noisy Harley!!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I did not watch all of it. Reason - It started to make me upset & reminded me of my failed bike trip. That said ... Looks like you had fun! & I don't think you were pushing the guy ahead of you.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It sure is a good thing you bought the slow color GARider!!!!!!!!

That Harley that was in front of you likes to cross that yellow line in the curves and likes to lean into the oncoming lane.

Its a good thing you did not get it out of second gear, BEEP BEEP, you might have run over that poor under powered noisy Harley!!!!
Good point Bill! Had I been able to make it, I would’ve proven that point. 😁

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video, really enjoyed watching it. We’ll be there in September and I’m looking forward to riding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I was supposed to go on the awesome ride with ChiefGunner but the weather got in the way...
The bike was awesome, I have had three different bike all taken to the Tail and I was very comfortable on this into the turns, although I was very reserved I was in sport mode and was able to keep up with others riders that were ahead of me. I have to say I didn't know the riders in front of me so when we caught up to them I wanted to apologize but the end of the video the dude on the bike that I was tailing says it all....
Another buddy and I rode this day so we did the Cherohala Skyway first got really comfortable and towards the end of the run I switched to Sport Mode and left it in sport for the rest of the day and figured I would tackle the Tail. Again not my best run but good enough.
I was scrapping hardware on the left many time, I started taking some of the curves alittle wide....
Scrapped the sidestand fairly well so that needs to be touched up with paint.
I want to take this south now.

I hope this video comes thru... it is about 23 minutes and it is from leaving Deals Gap resort to end.
Again the end sums it up.... Sorry again to the dude in front of me, I wasn't trying to push you...

Thanks for posting that Rich! I put it up in my 86” 4K screen with the surround on. It was almost like being there.
Now I need to get a GoPro for myself!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great video! Just got back from a 1,400-mile trip and the tail was definitely fun. Kinda disappointed but still fun. If you really want a ride, go to highway 32 near Gatlinburg. Every turn is a switch back and a mile of it is gravel lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great video! Just got back from a 1,400-mile trip and the tail was definitely fun. Kinda disappointed but still fun. If you really want a ride, go to highway 32 near Gatlinburg. Every turn is a switch back and a mile of it is gravel lol
No gravel..... :frown:

Sorry the tail was disappointing, it happens especially when crowded.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Everyone - thanks for all the replies. I am glad Chief talked me into posting video, I was hesitant because it wasn't my best run on the tail.
I had fun for sure! Would have been better if the weather outlook was better so Chief could have been there.
Trying to make plans to make it back up there before the end of the year, Keith Post do you have a day set for when you are going, maybe Chief and I can meet you out there.
Also I wanted to mentioned that when we rode the Cherohala Skyway (Keith Post I recommend this ride too) the GPS came in handy to see the twist and turns.

American - its not the slow color - they call this a sleeper..... hehe

Thanks again everyone....

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Yes sir, it’s September 21-23, however many of us are going up on Thursday the 20th. We’re all staying at the Waynesville Inn(host hotel) and we’ll be riding the dragons tail that weekend. And the Cherohala Skyway is on my bucket list.

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
We’d love to have you guys attend. You can coach us through the dragons tail!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will look to see what is planned those days and see if it is a possibility. I don't think I would be the best coach. But I did get great advice before my first ever ride on the tail, I mentioned this before, I was told, Don't try to keep up with your riding buddies.
Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts