Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are planning on doing a ride from Wisconsin to Vancouver BC. Would like to head across southern Canada on the way out and then back thru northern US. Looking for some suggestions as to routes and sights to make sure we stop and see. Planning on 2-3 weeks on the road. Would love suggestions as we are just starting on planning the route.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in BC and could possibly offer some advice on the area. Not sure what kind of things your into but here's some route advice.
Coming out of Vancouver on Hwy 1 is a pretty boring , traffic and construction filled ride and doesn't really start to clear up until around Chilliwack.
Hwy 3 Out of Hope BC is a nice winding ride thru mountains all the way to the beautiful town of Osoyoos. The Okanagan valley in particular is a beautiful area full of lakes and wineries and fruit orchards.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jaymann. This is what we are looking for. We are on a 3-4 week ride with a complete open book on where we are going and what sights to see. Winery's, scenic roads, great overlooks, winding and scenic roads. We have no timetable.
Good food is always a plus. Probably going to start close to Winnipeg and head West. Should be in your area about the third week in August.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've driven from Winnipeg to Vancouver more times than I can count (I'm a touring musician)
Here's what route I would take:
HWY1 all the way to Calgary. Can't comment much on the prairies. Big sky, flat land...
Stay on 1 leaving Calgary will take you thru Banff and Lake Louise, which should be the first big "wow" moment. Scenic isn't the word for it.

Stay on 1 until around Sicamous BC and then take 97A south to 97 south thru the okanagan. It starts getting really good around Vernon. Kalamalka lake is beautiful.
Kelowna is a hot spot for beaches and wineries.

Keep going south all the way to Osoyoos. Lots of wineries and fruit orchards and lakes.
You could really spend some time in that area.

Go west on hwy 3 and watch the landscape change from blue lakes and green orchards, to lodgepole pine trees and mountains. Awesome curvy switchback roads throughout here.
You'll meet back up with Hwy 1 at Hope (Rambo First Blood was filmed there) Take Hwy 1 all the way to Vancouver.
Seeing how you're going that far, consider taking the ferry to Vancouver Island. Victoria is a beautiful city and the ferry if you've never been on it is a great scenic trip in it's self.

I live on Vancouver Island (moved here from Toronto many years ago) and I'm still in awe of the scenery.
If you've got any other questions just let me know and I'll try and help.
If I think of any must see places or great eats I'll post them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vancouver or !

Just thought I would have a say.

I live in Surrey BC & Plan trips all over BC , AB & the Washington State.
I have a ride planned for BC this year if you R interested you can join in.

My plans R Vancouver Island... Victoria, Parksville, Comox, Powell River, Sun Shine Coast, Vancouver BC.

Now I could B easily Talked into going to Port Hardy through Campbell River.

Now this is some of the best riding in BC but there R others though like this ride.Called the Duffy Lake Ride.
Hope, Cache Creek, lillooet, Pemberton, Whistler, Vancouver.

These R the 2 Rides I would say U need to do if any.

Get out and Explore..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stay on 1 leaving Calgary will take you thru Banff and Lake Louise, which should be the first big "wow" moment. Scenic isn't the word for it.

Stay on 1 until around Sicamous BC
I've taken this route hundreds of times with bike, car, tractor trailer and now my tow truck. I think I've pretty much wore out the highway. The only problem with taking this way is that although it's the TransCanada highway, once you get on the west side of Banff Nat'l Park where you're entering BC, it turns into 2 lane undivided and the traffic is unreal packed with motorhomes and transport trucks. There are quite a few passing lanes but you get in behind an RV going 80km/h (50mph) and you can expect to have a long day. Also, the BC government is in the process of SLOWLY twinning that stretch between the BC/AB border to almost Kamloops, where it stays divided all the way to Vancouver, so you can expect a lot of stopping for construction. I do have to say though that the construction crews are really good at shutting down the road and opening it for 15 minute intervals so the waits aren't that long but it does get annoying.

On the other hand, Jaymann is right. The scenery is definitely something to be experienced but like I said before, I've been down that way hundreds of times and have seen many improvements over the years and I can honestly say that I never get tired or bored of the same old. There are many places to pull off and rest, little towns and bigger towns to stop and eat and fuel up, little campgrounds to spend a night if you're into that or privately owned motels if you're not. If you choose to go this way, follow the TransCanada after Kamloops along the Fraser River. It's definitely the long way (by 2hrs) but it's definitely worth it. At the town of Cache Creek you have two options. You can continue along the TransCanada which brings you out at Hope or turn on Hwy 97 (Cariboo Hwy) and then onto Hwy 99 which brings you right in to North Vancouver. If you take 99, FILL UP at Cache Creek. Can't see anyone making it through with even 3/4 full.

If the traffic bothers you then maybe consider heading south from Calgary until you reach HWY 3(Crowsnest Hwy). Head west from there and the scenery is just as beautiful. If you go this way, I suggest that when you reach Creston you head north (Hwy 3A) to Kootenay Bay and catch the free ferry across. Again less traffic, more scenery. Follow the highway south to Nelson and carry on to connect back to Hwy 3 and follow that all the way to Hope and eventually into Vancouver.

Sorry for the rambling, I kinda get excited when I hear of a road trip and I feel the need to put my 50 bucks if I have it.

Enjoy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts