Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wait wait wait this is a thread about Eluders. Lol that is a dang nice paint job though.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Sorry, my bad.... but in my defense... THEY started it!! Lol. Ride what you got... my Eluder is number 13 in the corral...
and I ran outta room in the garage so... what says living more than your living room full of bikes? Ride what ya got!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow, very nice collection of bikes. It reminds me when I was in my 20's building a bike in my rental living room. I'm guessing your single. If you were married, a) you wouldn't have those in the house or you'd be living outside and b) you probably wouldn't have 13. I have 3 bikes, and the wife is after me to get ride of a least one.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I actually traded in my metric for a Harley and until you ride one and wrench on one, you will not understand and appreciate the engineering, design that goes into one.
Little details on the Harley such as having a grease zerk on steering stem so you can actually grease the steering bearings. The chrome is also a much better quality. The ride is much smoother and stays planted to the ground where tar snakes and road transition do not effect handling at all.
Twin cam 96 counterbalanced engine is amazingly smooth and extremely powerful.
Rev limiters are not an issue and can actually generate power without it punking out like the low limits of a metric.
I am a gear head and all these differences matter.
Harley also does factory customs.
Resell value does not tank like a metric either.
Don't get me wrong, the 1700 Silverado was good, but the Harley was better.

·
Registered
Star Eluder
162 Posts
I actually traded in my metric for a Harley and until you ride one and wrench on one, you will not understand and appreciate the engineering, design that goes into one.
Little details on the Harley such as having a grease zerk on steering stem so you can actually grease the steering bearings. The chrome is also a much better quality. The ride is much smoother and stays planted to the ground where tar snakes and road transition do not effect handling at all.
Rev limiters are not an issue and can actually generate power without it punking out like the low limits of a metric.
Thanks for the well worded comparison. It's rare to here anyone say more than just something like "when will you get a real bike". I've always assumed they were just overpriced due to the cult following but if the quality is there than may justify it a bit. Being a frugal (read cheap @ss) i couldn't justify even looking at a road glide that cost more than twice what I paid for my Eluder. Some day I'll have to take a test ride to find out myself if they live up to the name.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
I understand many of the qualities of the Harley. Fit and finish is top notch. With all of the models, your bound to find one you really like. I really like the Street Glides. I never road a Harley and I understand some of your references to the Roadstar as I own one. There's not much aftermarket stuff, never many factory accessories or different customized models. The suspension needs some help to make it a good ride.
I'm not here to dis Harleys or Harley riders. But you also have to weigh many things when buying something that's just a luxury, not a necessity. I now have the money to buy just about any bike I want. But I didn't for most of my years raising a family, until my kids left and I retired. But the mentality of being frugal doesn't go away easy. Paying $25-30k isn't going to happen for any motorcycle.

The only reason I bought the Eluder was because it was so inexpensive and I'm guessing, it rivals many of the ride qualities and technical aspects of the Harley. Is the fit and finish as good as a Harley, no. Has there been some problems with a 1st year model, yes. But Harley Twin Cam motors are not 100% bullet proof either. There is a known issue that has to be addressed by some expensive maintenance by ~40k mi or you can have a major engine problem.
Harley Davidson Twin Cam Engine Problems? What To Do! - UltraCool Oil Cooling Systems
One thing about the Roadstar's and many other Yamaha's, is these bikes can last 150-200k miles without any major engine repairs. So I look at buying a Yamaha as a value for your buck, that many here probably help decide on what they own.

As I said I like the Street Glide, and even thought about putting the bucks out for it, but from what I've read, it isn't as comfortable for taller riders as it has a shorter wheelbase than the Yamahas. But as the thread says "Ride What You Want" but I'd add be respectful to other riders opinions. The bike you ride shouldn't be something to be looked down on. This is my opinion and in no way am I putting down yours or any Harley riders choice, this is just what matters to me.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have been riding for 55 years, I have owned many bikes, I have owned 4 Harleys and built choppers out of many more. I looked at the Road Glide and really like it.
But as you said the big bucks was one of the factors. I started looking hard at what would be better for someone 6'5" and 280 lbs.for long distance. That is when I found the Stratoliner.It is taller, longer and wider then any Harley on the road. The engine is double counter balanced 1900cc ( 113 ci ) It took 4 months on the internet and I found one 480 miles away with 9k miles for $6300. We bought it 3 days after it showed up and rode it home. I have been amazed by that bike ever since I bought it. I don't understand Yamaha discontinuing it.
I have ridden it 320 miles in a day several times and you aren't worn out from doing it ( I get worn out going to the mailbox , so that says something) . People that are shorter than 6' would probably hate this bike, if you only want to ride it in traffic it is the wrong bike , it is built to cruise distance.
So , you ride the bike that makes you happy for your type of riding you are doing. The type of bike that fits your size, strength and abilities. I would never put a new rider on a Stratoliner, it will hurt you if you are inexperienced. It has more power than any bike I have owned but one and that was a dragster built for 1/8 mile ( it was not comfortable either).
I like all motorcycles and never dis anyone who rides, even the weird dude you see on the scooter, he is atleast riding and not in a cage trying to kill me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I understand many of the qualities of the Harley. Fit and finish is top notch. With all of the models, your bound to find one you really like. I really like the Street Glides. I never road a Harley and I understand some of your references to the Roadstar as I own one. There's not much aftermarket stuff, never many factory accessories or different customized models. The suspension needs some help to make it a good ride.
I'm not here to dis Harleys or Harley riders. But you also have to weigh many things when buying something that's just a luxury, not a necessity. I now have the money to buy just about any bike I want. But I didn't for most of my years raising a family, until my kids left and I retired. But the mentality of being frugal doesn't go away easy. Paying $25-30k isn't going to happen for any motorcycle.

The only reason I bought the Eluder was because it was so inexpensive and I'm guessing, it rivals many of the ride qualities and technical aspects of the Harley. Is the fit and finish as good as a Harley, no. Has there been some problems with a 1st year model, yes. But Harley Twin Cam motors are not 100% bullet proof either. There is a known issue that has to be addressed by some expensive maintenance by ~40k mi or you can have a major engine problem.
Harley Davidson Twin Cam Engine Problems? What To Do! - UltraCool Oil Cooling Systems
One thing about the Roadstar's and many other Yamaha's, is these bikes can last 150-200k miles without any major engine repairs. So I look at buying a Yamaha as a value for your buck, that many here probably help decide on what they own.

As I said I like the Street Glide, and even thought about putting the bucks out for it, but from what I've read, it isn't as comfortable for taller riders as it has a shorter wheelbase than the Yamahas. But as the thread says "Ride What You Want" but I'd add be respectful to other riders opinions. The bike you ride shouldn't be something to be looked down on. This is my opinion and in no way am I putting down yours or any Harley riders choice, this is just what matters to me.
I won't bag on metrics because I don't forget where I came from.
I owe it to economically priced metric cruisers for eventually working my way to a Harley actually.
I do own a metric adventure bike also so I am versatile when it comes to bikes!
Now if we can just get rid of this snow and crappy weather so I can actually ride them!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I can agree with some of that. Yes, the fit & finish on the Harley is a little better. My Ultra came with a battery tender pig tail already installed on the battery (given a modern scoot's appetite for juice, they should always be standard), and included the helmet comm gear and also the luggage inserts for the saddlebag & tour pack. For the premium price they ask, that's all as expected. And overall, the H-D is probably easier to work on, though in part that's a testament to how little they've changed over the past few decades, and the fact that mechanics don't have to adjust their skill set with each model year. I don't know if "twin cam counter balanced 96" is the standard 96ci motor or one that's been tuned, but I can say that the Eluder motor makes better power than the high-output 103 that was in my Ultra, by a much wider margin than the extra few cubic inches would imply. At speed, the 103 didn't vibrate, and delivered what power it had pretty smoothly. The handling on the Eluder is also much better, again by a wide margin, and my experience with the H-D on tar snakes was similar to other bikes I've owned -- it's mostly about the tires.

I do miss the Harley ecosystem. No matter what you want, somebody makes it for the Harley. This is probably related to my earlier comment about so little change in so long a long time. What bike you ride is a personal choice; I'm glad you're happy with the Harley. So far, I'm happier with the Eluder than I was with Ultra. Not that the Ultra was bad, it's just that Eluder is better for me. I hope that in 5 years I'm still as happy, and that I don't get bit by it being a single year model.

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha Vstar 950 yamaha xvs95cte(g
56 Posts
I have had the bike, an Eluder, a little over a week now and people on one of the Christian biker forums I am on are already dissing it. (My youngest says I am not allowed use the word dissing anymore.) Yes it may have issues, I have yet to see any bike that didn't. I like the bike and it was in our price range. No big monthly payments which we couldn't afford. I am happy the others ride Harleys, good for them. Not in our price range and I honestly did not want one. Disappointing especially on a Christian site. Unreal.
Riders ride
Haters hate
The bike you ride is yours to choose and never apologize. Like I told our kids;
You will stop worrying what other people think about you when You realize how seldom they do.
I’m riding my 15th bike a Yamaha. I had one BMW K100lt and the rest have been Japanese.
Never had a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 1300A ~11K miles, 2016 Zero SR w/PowerTank Electric ~3.5K miles , Tesla M3D, my Sleigh
20 Posts
I love my V-Star 1300.... now hard to tell from a Tourer... no front fairing but I can feel the wind and dressed right the warm weather is ok... (as well as cool - don't care for riding below 40F though.

I also have a Zero SR (all electric), I've had a number of people ask if it was the HD LiveWire (I don't have any logo's on my bike) I've happily said no, 15-20K less cost and better performance and longer range. Even had a co-worker who'd tried a LiveWire (100+ miles test ride) and said he liked the look of my Zero much better as a Naked Sport Bike.

As a new rider (put about 3200 miles on my two bikes last year (1st year) Enjoyed it, and got to spend more time with my 18YOS (the impetus for getting into riding...) Most of my HD co-workers are just glad I'm riding and staying safe!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2002 Roadster I bought brand new in November 2001 & a 2013 Stratoliner I bought to replace the 2014 Indian I bought & was totally unimpressed with. HD & Indian make pretty bikes. They are overpriced IMHO & under perform.

I will stay with my Yamahas, don't really give a dam if other folks like them or not!!

Your Eluder basically has the same motor as my Stratoliner. I wish I had your 6 speed & bigger fuel tank, but other than that love both my bikes. My Roadstar, the Purple People Eater has been all over the country. Got 92K miles. My Stratoliner hasn't had as much use as the last couple of years have had health issues that slowed me down a bit. Still getting out as much as I can, just haven't done a trip in a few years

Keep ridin & smilin & enjoy that Eluder!!

DOC

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love my V-Star 1300.... now hard to tell from a Tourer... no front fairing but I can feel the wind and dressed right the warm weather is ok... (as well as cool - don't care for riding below 40F though.

I also have a Zero SR (all electric), I've had a number of people ask if it was the HD LiveWire (I don't have any logo's on my bike) I've happily said no, 15-20K less cost and better performance and longer range. Even had a co-worker who'd tried a LiveWire (100+ miles test ride) and said he liked the look of my Zero much better as a Naked Sport Bike.

As a new rider (put about 3200 miles on my two bikes last year (1st year) Enjoyed it, and got to spend more time with my 18YOS (the impetus for getting into riding...) Most of my HD co-workers are just glad I'm riding and staying safe!
My wife has a red 2015 Vstar 1300
Deluxe.she loves that bike. Did the pipes, airbox & Ivan flashed the ECU & that thing would fly if it had wings!! Great bike. Pic is her Vstar & my Stratoliner
Keep ridin and smilin brother
DOC

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had the bike, an Eluder, a little over a week now and people on one of the Christian biker forums I am on are already dissing it. (My youngest says I am not allowed use the word dissing anymore.) Yes it may have issues, I have yet to see any bike that didn't. I like the bike and it was in our price range. No big monthly payments which we couldn't afford. I am happy the others ride Harleys, good for them. Not in our price range and I honestly did not want one. Disappointing especially on a Christian site. Unreal.
As a current 2018 Venture owner and a former 2017 Street Glide owner as well I can assure you that you have made a wise decision, at least in my humble opinion. The Eluder is the better bike in that segment of baggers if you value comfort, overall ride quality (i.e. suspension), standard equipment, technology, servicing, and just old bang for the buck ($). Don’t even think twice about what others say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can agree with some of that. Yes, the fit & finish on the Harley is a little better. My Ultra came with a battery tender pig tail already installed on the battery (given a modern scoot's appetite for juice, they should always be standard), and included the helmet comm gear and also the luggage inserts for the saddlebag & tour pack. For the premium price they ask, that's all as expected. And overall, the H-D is probably easier to work on, though in part that's a testament to how little they've changed over the past few decades, and the fact that mechanics don't have to adjust their skill set with each model year. I don't know if "twin cam counter balanced 96" is the standard 96ci motor or one that's been tuned, but I can say that the Eluder motor makes better power than the high-output 103 that was in my Ultra, by a much wider margin than the extra few cubic inches would imply. At speed, the 103 didn't vibrate, and delivered what power it had pretty smoothly. The handling on the Eluder is also much better, again by a wide margin, and my experience with the H-D on tar snakes was similar to other bikes I've owned -- it's mostly about the tires.

I do miss the Harley ecosystem. No matter what you want, somebody makes it for the Harley. This is probably related to my earlier comment about so little change in so long a long time. What bike you ride is a personal choice; I'm glad you're happy with the Harley. So far, I'm happier with the Eluder than I was with Ultra. Not that the Ultra was bad, it's just that Eluder is better for me. I hope that in 5 years I'm still as happy, and that I don't get bit by it being a single year model.
When I had my warrior, I got challenged to many a race with HD’s. Before each race at the last set of traffic lights I’d get asked “ what the fark is that “. Now I’ve been challenged by Street Glides, Road Glides and Lowrider S. The result was they never got near me. The HD’s might have had more horsepower, but I had the torque. Oh and the race would go for 2k so there was plenty of time to catch up. I knew what the bike could do top end ( 225kph ) not sure what that is in mph.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts