Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is 139.8 MPH (225 KPH)
That was last year. I spent a bit of time working up to it as I’m not young (63 at the time ). Each time I had a mate ( whose bike could go way quicker than the warrior ). Ride with me and we would compare speeds. When the day came to really give her her head I had my phone on my tank ( magnetic ) with an app called speed. It worked by GPSing to a satellite and tell you what speed you were doing. So I gently built up speed and my knees were tucked in tight as was another part of my anatomy lol. The hardest thing I found was staying on the bike lol. If anyone here owns a warrior you will see that the speedo goes to 220, but there is another tag line after it which measures out to 225. I actually went a tad past the 225 mark and then was stopped by the speedo post. My friend commented how long it took for him to catch up to me. He rides. Suzuki Hyabussa????

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been riding for 55 years, I have owned many bikes, I have owned 4 Harleys and built choppers out of many more. I looked at the Road Glide and really like it.
But as you said the big bucks was one of the factors. I started looking hard at what would be better for someone 6'5" and 280 lbs.for long distance. That is when I found the Stratoliner.It is taller, longer and wider then any Harley on the road. The engine is double counter balanced 1900cc ( 113 ci ) It took 4 months on the internet and I found one 480 miles away with 9k miles for $6300. We bought it 3 days after it showed up and rode it home. I have been amazed by that bike ever since I bought it. I don't understand Yamaha discontinuing it.
I have ridden it 320 miles in a day several times and you aren't worn out from doing it ( I get worn out going to the mailbox , so that says something) . People that are shorter than 6' would probably hate this bike, if you only want to ride it in traffic it is the wrong bike , it is built to cruise distance.
So , you ride the bike that makes you happy for your type of riding you are doing. The type of bike that fits your size, strength and abilities. I would never put a new rider on a Stratoliner, it will hurt you if you are inexperienced. It has more power than any bike I have owned but one and that was a dragster built for 1/8 mile ( it was not comfortable either).
I like all motorcycles and never dis anyone who rides, even the weird dude you see on the scooter, he is atleast riding and not in a cage trying to kill me.
I hear ya, I am 6'4" and 320. I am more comfortable on my Strat than any HD, and the performance is great!!

Also agree not a bike for a new rider or a smaller person. Great bike, I have no idea why Yamaha canned the Stratoliner either!! I guess they just weren't selling. Problem is most younger guys don't like cruisers, so HD has most of what is left of the market. I'm good to go with my 2013 Start and 2002 Roadstar

Keep ridin and smilin brother

DOC

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
570 Posts
Strange, I learned something like that on my own. Summer, between 5th and 6th grade.

Screw what people think. I wear clean and "presentable" clothes. I shower EVERY day I need to leave the house, and before bed when it is warm out. So no social issues.

Oh, and my mantra: treat ANYONE. with a minimum of the same social Graces you would give anyone else.
Beyond that, I am "me". Take it or leave it. Now obviously this is a little deeper than I originally thought, but current version in no way"violates" the original.
But then again, I can get along with an enemy as long as things don't get physical.

Sorry, I babbled. Mods, feel free to edit/ delete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bang for the buck you are way ahead with the Yamaha. The most important thing is that YOU like it, as for your Harley buddies they're probably not really your buddies. I choose my Stratoliner because I liked how it handled and it has lots of go when you crank on the throttle. Would I consider buying a Harley? Sure if I liked it and have money left over after I buy all of the other toys on my list.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
570 Posts
There is a difference between good natured poking fun and "turning your nose up" / I'm too good" comments/actions.
If they are truly disrespectful, they are NOT friends.

Just like high school, they are a "click". A group of like minded people. Non believers stay out.

Nothing wrong with a group wanting to ride with other owners of the same brand.
But when the joking gets either personal or directly to "you" then this has become a FORM of bigotry. Think about it. Friends might poke fun, but are always there to hold you up/do better/relax and be yourself.

If you can't be YOU and be comfortable, what the fornication are you doing there?!?!?

·
Super Moderator
7,856 Posts
You guys all made excellent points, both pro and con.
I ride Yamaha’s because I like them and I didn’t have to take out a second mortgage to buy one.
My RoadStar does everything I want it to do. The torque on it is as much as the newer bikes, and I like the looks of it, Monica loves riding it.
Fit and finish is as good as any other bike I’ve ridden. HD’s are not American Made as touted, only Indian’s are.
I rode an HD in my MSF class, not impressed, but I rode what they assigned me.
HD’s have always had an excellent aftermarket and the other brands should take notice.
I’ve been snubbed many a time by HD owners, only to see them broken down a few miles down the road.
Before I moved from the Memphis area, I kept track for 5 years of the broken down bikes on the side of the road. Being a bike guy, I would stop my patrol car, and volunteer to help as I kept a toolbox in my unit.
EVERY bike broken down was an HD, there was one Honda, and he stopped to make a call.
I only have around 4K invested in my RoadStar including purchase price, and I have money left over to travel on it.
We have members that ride HD’s and I could never snub or criticize their brand of bike. One of their bikes is show worthy and I love seeing it.
I like being around different bikes and appreciate what they’ve done to them, but I proudly ride my Yamaha, and that’s my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
You guys all made excellent points, both pro and con.
I ride Yamaha’s because I like them and I didn’t have to take out a second mortgage to buy one.
My RoadStar does everything I want it to do. The torque on it is as much as the newer bikes, and I like the looks of it, Monica loves riding it.
Fit and finish is as good as any other bike I’ve ridden. HD’s are not American Made as touted, only Indian’s are.
I rode an HD in my MSF class, not impressed, but I rode what they assigned me.
HD’s have always had an excellent aftermarket and the other brands should take notice.
I’ve been snubbed many a time by HD owners, only to see them broken down a few miles down the road.
Before I moved from the Memphis area, I kept track for 5 years of the broken down bikes on the side of the road. Being a bike guy, I would stop my patrol car, and volunteer to help as I kept a toolbox in my unit.
EVERY bike broken down was an HD, there was one Honda, and he stopped to make a call.
I only have around 4K invested in my RoadStar including purchase price, and I have money left over to travel on it.
We have members that ride HD’s and I could never snub or criticize their brand of bike. One of their bikes is show worthy and I love seeing it.
I like being around different bikes and appreciate what they’ve done to them, but I proudly ride my Yamaha, and that’s my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's funny, I love the performance of my Stratoliner, but I have always loved the look of my Roadstar better

That said, I love both my bikes!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 'not a Harley' group is just one reason I don't join groups. When i was in high school, I didn't belong to any 'clics' - my family wasn't in the same social group ( 'tho' my siblings mixed with them. I started riding while in the Navy, and my first bike was a Kawasaki 2-stroke that A mechanic at a dealership I took it to said 'kicked back harder than his Harley'. On my pay, I couldn't afford a H-D, although some fellow sailors did buy themselves that brand... I venture that my 2-wheeler was paid for, while they made monthly installments.
After I got out, and my ride at the time was totalled some years afterwards, I bought just one more Honda. I had a mechanical issue that local mechanics wouldn't help me with ( neither would finances), so , since'97 it has been rusting away.
When finances allowed, I bought my first Yamaha-a 650 Classic. It felt small, and shortly after I bought it, the 950 came out. I lusted for that bike after 'sit-testing it at a local IMS, but , of course, I owed on the 650. Months down the road, a woman ran a red light in front of me and wrecked the 650 (I wasn't hurt too badly) , so the settlement money went to a new 950T. I encountered my best friend about that time- he was/is a Harley fanatic, and kept trying to get me to buy his brand of motorcycle. I looked at some, 'sit-tested' many, but just couldn't justify the cost. Eventually, I found a '07 RoadStar Midnight at a great price, and traded for it, only to crash and wreck the bike 48 days later. Two weeks after I got the insurance check, I had a near twin, which had @ 6500 on the odo. Now it has 57000. I still look at Harleys, like the looks , paint, etc. but still can't justify the cost- I've put my extra money elsewhere. I won't put anyone down for their choice in what motorcycle they ride-I just appreciate the fact that THEY RIDE! You do the same, and keep the shiney side up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had ridden Hondas most of my life - started with a Honda 90 and went from there - I still miss my '78 750K, but, I digress....
I purchased my first Harley - a 1987 Sportster 1200HD nicely chromed and with 5K miles - $5K. And every year I owned it was another EXPENSIVE problem, 1 year it was the ignition, another year it was the transmission, the suspension and on and on.....the final insult was I took it to a Harley dealer to have the oil changed and serviced and the dealer very nicely let me put it up for sale without commission. It was a freaking cold winter.....the insult was that, after the oil change it sat, and it now started to leak from the clutch cable - never had an issue prior. Sold itr for $2800.
Later that spring, I bought my 2006 Silverado 1700. And have had many a mile with a huge smile on my face and only changing the oil and filter. One of my riding buddies, thought it was a Harley so I was added to the local Harley Facebook page. Another guy I ride with told me it looks like a Harley and not to say anything, cuz nobody really cares....lol. My Road Star Silverado is fast, comfortable and rides and handles so very nicely. My fiancee loves riding with me, she is comfortable and looks forward to riding season as much as I do.....Let the haters hate - and I bought mine at the Cycle Exchange in Andover, NJ for $5K and they threw in a helmet and leather jacket.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had ridden Hondas most of my life - started with a Honda 90 and went from there - I still miss my '78 750K, but, I digress....
I purchased my first Harley - a 1987 Sportster 1200HD nicely chromed and with 5K miles - $5K. And every year I owned it was another EXPENSIVE problem, 1 year it was the ignition, another year it was the transmission, the suspension and on and on.....the final insult was I took it to a Harley dealer to have the oil changed and serviced and the dealer very nicely let me put it up for sale without commission. It was a freaking cold winter.....the insult was that, after the oil change it sat, and it now started to leak from the clutch cable - never had an issue prior. Sold itr for $2800.
Later that spring, I bought my 2006 Silverado 1700. And have had many a mile with a huge smile on my face and only changing the oil and filter. One of my riding buddies, thought it was a Harley so I was added to the local Harley Facebook page. Another guy I ride with told me it looks like a Harley and not to say anything, cuz nobody really cares....lol. My Road Star Silverado is fast, comfortable and rides and handles so very nicely. My fiancee loves riding with me, she is comfortable and looks forward to riding season as much as I do.....Let the haters hate - and I bought mine at the Cycle Exchange in Andover, NJ for $5K and they threw in a helmet and leather jacket.
Gotta love them Roadies!! Great bike!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ride a 650 vstar. I bought it two years ago that I use for work. I live in the southwest so we get all four seasons. I ride my bike when it's in the 30s when its windy when its 100 degrees and when it's just perfect. The guy at work seems to think he's being cute by asking me about my motorcycle he calls a scooter often. Yes he drives a Harley it's nice not going to lie. He hardly rides that thing and its because it's to cold for him right now. He started again with my scooter, when I finally shut him up in front of the others the other day when I told him where's your hardly ridden. Let me guess its to cold for you old man. I think your a BIG POSER and walked away lmao. That was the end of the scooter comments!!!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I ride a 650 vstar. I bought it two years ago that I use for work. I live in the southwest so we get all four seasons. I ride my bike when it's in the 30s when its windy when its 100 degrees and when it's just perfect. The guy at work seems to think he's being cute by asking me about my motorcycle he calls a scooter often. Yes he drives a Harley it's nice not going to lie. He hardly rides that thing and its because it's to cold for him right now. He started again with my scooter, when I finally shut him up in front of the others the other day when I told him where's your hardly ridden. Let me guess its to cold for you old man. I think your a BIG POSER and walked away lmao. That was the end of the scooter comments!!!!
On the Harley forum that I'm a member of quite a few of the folks there refer to all the bikes as scooters. I wasn't there so I don't know but it might have been a compliment and not a put down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the Harley forum that I'm a member of quite a few of the folks there refer to all the bikes as scooters. I wasn't there so I don't know but it might have been a compliment and not a put down.
Back in the early 80s I had a neighbor who was a super hardcore biker and he called Harleys scooters and riders scooter pilots.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
994 Posts
I refer to my bikes as mopeds, whether it is a moped or a 700 lb six.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts