Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Ride what you want

5K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  Lup69 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had the bike, an Eluder, a little over a week now and people on one of the Christian biker forums I am on are already dissing it. (My youngest says I am not allowed use the word dissing anymore.) Yes it may have issues, I have yet to see any bike that didn't. I like the bike and it was in our price range. No big monthly payments which we couldn't afford. I am happy the others ride Harleys, good for them. Not in our price range and I honestly did not want one. Disappointing especially on a Christian site. Unreal.

#2 ·
I have had the bike, an Eluder, a little over a week now and people on one of the Christian biker forums I am on are already dissing it. (My youngest says I am not allowed use the word dissing anymore.) Yes it may have issues, I have yet to see any bike that didn't. I like the bike and it was in our price range. No big monthly payments which we couldn't afford. I am happy the others ride Harleys, good for them. Not in our price range and I honestly did not want one. Disappointing especially on a Christian site. Unreal.
Very common to be trashed on by Harley Fanatics. When I started riding I would hang out with other bikers but got sick of the constant belittling from Harley riders for riding a Yamaha. It's like riding a Harley makes you part of some weird cult. I don't get it but now I don't affiliate with any other bikers and ride my own ride. Kinda sad but it is how it is. [emoji1745]

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
I ride a Roadstar Silverado and I ride with a group that is mostly made up of Harleys and Indians. I am sure that some see my bike as second class and I will willingly admit that the chrome pieces and aftermarket parts on those bikes are of better quality than what I have been able to find, but I will put my bike up against any of those bikes when it comes to reliability. I have been on rides where guys with brand new bikes where waiting on a tow company to get there bike back to the dealer. My 1100 Silverado and my Roadstar Silverado have never failed me. I am unwilling to lay the kind of money down for one of those bikes and I will not go into debt with a loan so I can have something that is recreational 7 month long activity where I live. I have not had a mortgage or a vehicle payment for over 15 years and not having the burden of making monthly payments is a big part of the enjoyment of riding and to me that more than makes up for owning one of those higher priced bikes. I guess we all have different priorities and just ride what we like. Oh by the way I too am a Christian and will ride with you even if you ride a scooter!

#6 ·
I hear ya brother. I had several Japanese bikes, mostly Yamaha before I bought a Harley Ultra in 2017. Pre-harely, they were polite but not always welcoming. For some of the people that I saw at every local event, it was like a switch got flipped, and more than once I was invited to run for office in the local HOG chapter (I was president of the local chapter of STAR Touring and Riding at the time). I liked the Harley well enough, but had to spend a lot of money on it to get it work work right for me. I got a killer deal on my Eluder last September when Yamaha had a cash back offer, so I'm curious to see how they all react this season. It will be all the more interesting, because our local H-D dealer lost/gave up his franchise, so the nearest official dealer is over 100 miles away.

#8 ·
Only the most immature bikers will put down another riders choice of motorcycle. This is a 'button' they push hoping it works on you, so don't let it or they'll keep pushing it. Mature, experienced motorcyclist understand that a choice in motorcycle is really a very personal/subjective choice, and one rider can't say what another rider should be riding.

I had a co-worker who was brainwashed to think Harley Davidson was the best motorcycle on the planet. When I rode in on my Honda VTX 1300 cruiser he said, "Why didn't you buy a REAL motorcycle?" The comment just showed me his ignorance and within less than a year he was complaining to me about things going wrong with his Harley. He finally sold his Harley and bought a new one, only to complain more about yet more problems with the new one over the years and all the while my Honda had zero issues. He finally sold his Harley and bought a Honda sport bike saying he was done with cruisers.

Funny story about the co-worker with the Harley....
One day I was standing in the parking lot at work talking with the Harley guy co-worker when a man walked up to us from the building next door. Harley guy and I were next to our motorcycles and the man that walked up says to me, "Hey is that your Harley? I've seen you riding in on it and I just wanted to say I really love your Harley!! — he was referring to the bike in the photo below, my V-Star 1100. My Harley guy co-worker says, (a bit pissed) "That's NOT a Harley!" The man say, "Wow, whatever it is I LOVE IT" Just wanted to tell you finally what a cool bike you got"

The Harley co-worker was shaking his head and says again, "It's not a damn Harley" but he was ignored while my admirer was circling my bike checking it out. My Harley co-worker's Harley was right next to mine being totally ignored and his bike cost him $15K and my V-Star cost me $5K and outlasted the Harley in terms of no problems ever while his was causing him problems (he'd tell me about every one).

I'm not "dissing" Harley at all, if you like them go for it, but don't be surprised if the guy on the street thinks your V-Star is a cooler bike. : )

#9 ·
Yeah there are always going to be "those guys". Some think it's the only way to get admittance into the cool club. But for me while I have nothing against a Harley and have seen many I'd love to own, I just can't justify the $$ premium that comes with it. My Road Star does everything I want it to do and without complaint. It has the styling and looks that appeal to me. So what someone else thinks of it is irrelevant. It's my baby and I'm not looking to part with it.

#11 ·
I agree about the money issue. My oldest is getting a big Harley but he can afford it. I was actually bike shopping with him when I saw the Eluder. I knew our other bike was getting up there in miles and while I would have loved to have another big touring bike we did not have the money for it. I thought about it and we finally decided to get the Eluder. It was a good bike at a good price and it should get me where I need to go and in style. My oldest and I plan on making some long rides. Well long for us. I figure I have a reliable bike, one with navigation and a great sound system and for me at least, a cool looking bike. Plus I will be spending time with my son.

#12 ·
@Lonestar1 that's awesome! Sounds like a great time with lots of good memories ahead.

I'm kind of a cheap bastard and have a hard time borrowing money for something that is recreational. So when I bought my ski boat or bike, it was whatever I had been able to stash away towards that purchase. If I really wanted a Harley I was going to have to go through the bank for it. When I was younger I had done that. Payments in January and February when it's tucked away and you can't use it really suck.

When I was looking for a bike the used Harley's I liked were in the $10-15K range. So my Yamaha at just over $5K was much more appealing (plus take your wife to the Harley dealer first, then anything you find after that will look like a deal to her :ROFLMAO: ). I figure my smile is just as wide as the Harley guy when I'm going down the road. Plus now I have a little $$ left over for some bling or if I run across a great deal on another bike. 2 bikes are always better than 1 right?

#13 ·
I live in Milwaukee home of Harley and i had so many complements on my 1800 VTX. I am sure most people didn't realize it wasn't a harley. A harley guy down the block couldn't believe my VTX was a factory colorIt was uranium green. The guys i ride with are like me. I don't give a crap what you ride you can have a scooter. Lets go!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Land vehicle

#16 ·
I'm a Honda VTX owner myself (VTX 1300 Retro--see photo below). You have a rare version there my friend! If you're a member of the VTXOA forum you may know of a lady member there who owned a very nice Uranium Green VTX she called Kermit (after the Muppet's frog). I like your green tinted wind screen that goes perfect with the bike. (y)

#14 ·
Had a 107 M8 Road glide owner trash talking my V Star 1300 Tourer. So I dropped 50 bucks and asked him to put up or shut up. I'm 200 lbs lighter and making 85 HP, I got the holeshot and he could never catch up, kept walking away in every gear. I had beer money for the weekend. And all thanks to my "Piece of **** wannabe bike".. I'm so glad he said that out loud.

#17 ·
That was my old vtx that i sold and got my classic. You will never see another green windshield like that. I painted it my self with a can of Testors Candy Emerald spray can. It turned out nice. I painted it on the inside. It was a grey gradient that faded to blue and i couldn't stand it. I used to be on VTX Cafe. I will never say a bad thing about the VTX. If i had a retro i still might have it. It gave me 10y ears on no problem service. I love your whitewalls.

#18 ·
I know this thread was about ride want you want but I read and saw pictures of the VTX so I had to share pictures of mine that I took before I traded it in for the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager. It was a great bike but was going to need a lot of maintenance. 2002 1800.

Attachments

#27 ·
I actually traded in my metric for a Harley and until you ride one and wrench on one, you will not understand and appreciate the engineering, design that goes into one.
Little details on the Harley such as having a grease zerk on steering stem so you can actually grease the steering bearings. The chrome is also a much better quality. The ride is much smoother and stays planted to the ground where tar snakes and road transition do not effect handling at all.
Twin cam 96 counterbalanced engine is amazingly smooth and extremely powerful.
Rev limiters are not an issue and can actually generate power without it punking out like the low limits of a metric.
I am a gear head and all these differences matter.
Harley also does factory customs.
Resell value does not tank like a metric either.
Don't get me wrong, the 1700 Silverado was good, but the Harley was better.

#28 ·
Thanks for the well worded comparison. It's rare to here anyone say more than just something like "when will you get a real bike". I've always assumed they were just overpriced due to the cult following but if the quality is there than may justify it a bit. Being a frugal (read cheap @ss) i couldn't justify even looking at a road glide that cost more than twice what I paid for my Eluder. Some day I'll have to take a test ride to find out myself if they live up to the name.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

#30 · (Edited)
I have been riding for 55 years, I have owned many bikes, I have owned 4 Harleys and built choppers out of many more. I looked at the Road Glide and really like it.
But as you said the big bucks was one of the factors. I started looking hard at what would be better for someone 6'5" and 280 lbs.for long distance. That is when I found the Stratoliner.It is taller, longer and wider then any Harley on the road. The engine is double counter balanced 1900cc ( 113 ci ) It took 4 months on the internet and I found one 480 miles away with 9k miles for $6300. We bought it 3 days after it showed up and rode it home. I have been amazed by that bike ever since I bought it. I don't understand Yamaha discontinuing it.
I have ridden it 320 miles in a day several times and you aren't worn out from doing it ( I get worn out going to the mailbox , so that says something) . People that are shorter than 6' would probably hate this bike, if you only want to ride it in traffic it is the wrong bike , it is built to cruise distance.
So , you ride the bike that makes you happy for your type of riding you are doing. The type of bike that fits your size, strength and abilities. I would never put a new rider on a Stratoliner, it will hurt you if you are inexperienced. It has more power than any bike I have owned but one and that was a dragster built for 1/8 mile ( it was not comfortable either).
I like all motorcycles and never dis anyone who rides, even the weird dude you see on the scooter, he is atleast riding and not in a cage trying to kill me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.