Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Bought a 1999 V-Star 650 Classic in September. Put 1 kilometer on the machine and I got sick. Now, due to winter conditions, I will have to wait until April before even thinking about riding again.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
had to google Chicoutimi to see where you are: you are UP there!

I hope you did not get sick from riding your bike 1000 meters! Im picturing you out in a blizzard on your bike riding to the Polar Bear club meeting in your bathing suit.

·
2,472 Posts
Welcome from New Brunswick, Dabluz. Sorry you didn't get a chance to do much riding before winter set in. I'm in the same boat as far as winter is concerned, but look at it this way - as of yesterday the days are getting longer. Spring is just around the corner! lol You're gonna love your Vstar. Love to see a pic too if you managed to get one before tucking her away for the winter.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
If Cuba wants to hit a homerun for tourism, a mid winter week long vacation on the 400 mile long island that includes riding a vintage cruiser bike from one end to the other, would be the ideal cure for all of us up here in snow up to our knees in the middle of January!

·
2,472 Posts
If Cuba wants to hit a homerun for tourism, a mid winter week long vacation on the 400 mile long island that includes riding a vintage cruiser bike from one end to the other, would be the ideal cure for all of us up here in snow up to our knees in the middle of January!
I'd say sign me up, but I think the hurricanes have left them with some bigger issues right now than attracting tourists.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Cuba? I think they did ok in the storms.

Puerto Rico is still reeling.

·
2,472 Posts
Not as bad as Puerto Rico, but I believe the north shore took some heavy damage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow.....thanks for the responses in such a short time. Yes, there will be photos of my new bike. I only paid 1400 dollars Canadian for it. Came with windshield and leather bags. Right now, the bike is partly in a snow bank but I found a place where I can store it and work on it. An almost 20 year old bike with less than 20,000 kilometers surely needs some TLC. I haven't done any riding in over 10 years and I want to get a few years of riding before getting too old. I did most of my riding in the years when a 650 cc machine was considered big. During those years, I saw one Harley and it was very old. Honda came out with a 750 cc a few years later. We only wore helmets when doing long distance riding. There were more 2 cycle motors than 4 cycle motors in my region in the late 60's and early 70's. It's -25 celsius today and the snow is deep. No hope of riding till late April or early May.

·
Super Moderator
6,381 Posts
Hi Dabluz, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Can’t wait to see your pics of your ride. You picked a great forum, so sit back and enjoy and happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,354 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Hopefully you will get some saddle time with your new ride soon. Ride often and safe.

·
2,472 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the age. Just give her a good check and service and you shouldn't have any issues.

My 2000 1100 had 16000 miles on it when I picked it up in the fall of 2016 (US bike). I put around 7000 more or less trouble free miles on this summer. Had a small issue with a blown voltage regulator last spring but otherwise it's been a great bike. Not bad for her age. Just a testament to Yamaha's dependability. I wouldn't hesitate to ride mine anywhere.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got my bike, the battery was dead. Installed a new battery and the bike fired up right away. Idle speed sounded perfect and throttle response was great. I will be replacing all the fluids and filters, spark plugs (keep the old ones for back up) and a good clean-up. The bike is white and dark green....a colour scheme that I like a lot. Red or black bikes are nice but there are too many of them.

I am not a fan of Harley Davidsons. I can't figure out their popularity. They are more expensive and not as reliable. And, why does almost everyone want to make the bikes noisier? Here in Quebec, non-original exhausts are a good way to get fined by the police.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to our forum, Dabluz. Lots of us are in the same boots! That is snow and cold weather while our rides take a rest for the winter months. Couldn't help to say 'hello' to you. Am familiar with your countryside there. For 10 years made a few trips to Dolbeau-Mistassini as a van/canoe trailer driver for a girls' wilderness camp who experienced the rivers further north about 125 k. My job was meeting them at their pickup on those dusty logging roads along the river. Beautiful sights! Would love to see pictures of your 650 too. Happy Holiday! YammyV

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to our forum, Dabluz. Lots of us are in the same boots! That is snow and cold weather while our rides take a rest for the winter months. Couldn't help to say 'hello' to you. Am familiar with your countryside there. For 10 years made a few trips to Dolbeau-Mistassini as a van/canoe trailer driver for a girls' wilderness camp who experienced the rivers further north about 125 k. My job was meeting them at their pickup on those dusty logging roads along the river. Beautiful sights! Would love to see pictures of your 650 too. Happy Holiday! YammyV
Hello YammyV. I know that area well. I drive about 150 km north of Dolbeau-Mistassini to go moose hunting in the fall and trout fishing during the summer. We are 9 moose hunters and we limit our bag to 3 moose every year. It's just north of the 50th parallel. Lots of black bear up there too. The Mistassibi river is just below me when I am sitting in my tiny hunting camp.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow.....thanks for the responses in such a short time. Yes, there will be photos of my new bike. I only paid 1400 dollars Canadian for it. Came with windshield and leather bags. Right now, the bike is partly in a snow bank but I found a place where I can store it and work on it. An almost 20 year old bike with less than 20,000 kilometers surely needs some TLC. I haven't done any riding in over 10 years and I want to get a few years of riding before getting too old. I did most of my riding in the years when a 650 cc machine was considered big. During those years, I saw one Harley and it was very old. Honda came out with a 750 cc a few years later. We only wore helmets when doing long distance riding. There were more 2 cycle motors than 4 cycle motors in my region in the late 60's and early 70's. It's -25 celsius today and the snow is deep. No hope of riding till late April or early May.
20,000km? That's just barely broke in. My 1300 has just short of 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on it and runs strong and long with no problems.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
20,000km? That's just barely broke in. My 1300 has just short of 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on it and runs strong and long with no problems.
I may upgrade to a 1100 cc in a year or two because the 1100 cc engine has such a great reputation. However, the 650 is based on the 535 cc engine which also has a great reputation.

·
2,472 Posts
Both are solid, dependable bikes and you won't go wrong with either of them, or anything in the VStar family for that matter. I went with the 1100 because I knew I'd be riding two up a lot.

·
2,472 Posts
I wouldn't. Once you've had an 1100 driveshaft lock up at 65 mph, you'd never ride another one. Not fun.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
Easy preventative fix and you'll never have to worry about it.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Easy preventative fix and you'll never have to worry about it.
Ditto - the PM on any shaft drive is simple and clean

you have to really neglect a shaft drive to get it to lock up the wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts