Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone suggest me a cheap, basic intercom for me and my wife (passenger).

I am not looking for anything fancy, just basic two way communication between rider/passenger. Connection to music devices is preferable but not a necessity!

Also I would prefer wireless, but wired ones would do, if significantly low prices.

I just need to be able to talk with my wife while cruising on an Interstate (50-70mph)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
600 Posts

I am not looking for anything fancy, just basic two way communication between rider/passenger. Connection to music devices is preferable but not a necessity!

Also I would prefer wireless, but wired ones would do, if significantly low prices.

I just need to be able to talk with my wife while cruising on an Interstate (50-70mph)

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what you call cheap, but I love my Sena SMH5's. A dual pack (2 complete headsets) are selling for $179.00 on Amazon. I think I paid $210 this time last year for mine.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5D-01-Bluetooth-Intercom-Motorcycles/dp/B0071HE2SQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392066175&sr=8-2&keywords=smh5[/ame]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you call cheap, but I love my Sena SMH5's. A dual pack (2 complete headsets) are selling for $179.00 on Amazon. I think I paid $210 this time last year for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5D-01-Bluetooth-Intercom-Motorcycles/dp/B0071HE2SQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392066175&sr=8-2&keywords=smh5
Sorry for not specifying a Price range. I was looking something close to $100.

I am getting a Cardo Scala Rider Teamset Pro (http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-teamset) from Ebay (new with Tags) for $110.

Can you advice if it would be a good deal?
Also, how does the SENA SMH5 fair at Interstate cruising speeds? Will it go with any Full Face Helmet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry can't give you any advice on the Cardo Scala's as I have never used them.

There are 2 different kits for the SMH5's, one has boom mic with foam noise cancelling covering on it for an open face (3/4) helmet which is what I use. I have talked on the phone at 50 mph and people say they don't even know I am on a moving motorcycle. The other kit has a mic that fits into the chin bar part of the full face helmet.

I use a couple different helmets so for an extra $35 I got a second set of the earphones, mic, and helmet mount. I just pop the transceiver part of the system on which ever helmet suites my fancy that day. Blu-tooth on them has worked great with both my iPhone and a TomTom Rider GPS. Use my iPhone for music and while not top quality audio it works.

Communication is great between rider and passenger. I have not tried bike to bike communications yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I am currently researching Sena's a little bit more. Might well buy those.

I don't have a modular helmet, and don't see buying one in near future.
I do have a half face helmet, but use it only for local/city riding.

I think based on the reviews everywhere regarding the sound clarity on the SENA's, I will be buying these. The most important feature for me is Rider/Passenger sound clarity on interstate cruising speeds. That's the primary purpose I am buying these for.

I don't anticipate too many calls on my phone, and do have speakers installed on my V Star.

I guess after some more research I will buy these (if nothing big con comes up).

I will post my experience when I go out this riding season (stuck in Iowan-snow :(:()

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, more the research, more the confusion!

Should I go with

SMH5D-01 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Dual Pack

or

SMH5D-02 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Full-face Helmet Kit Dual Pack

There is not much price difference, but I don't understand the difference, except in their names.

One says wired mic and other is a boom mic. Whats the difference? Is there an advantage of having one over another?

I will be using it on a Full Face helmet, which one should I buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, more the research, more the confusion!

Should I go with

SMH5D-01 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Dual Pack

or

SMH5D-02 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Full-face Helmet Kit Dual Pack

There is not much price difference, but I don't understand the difference, except in their names.

One says wired mic and other is a boom mic. Whats the difference? Is there an advantage of having one over another?

I will be using it on a Full Face helmet, which one should I buy?

Thanks!
you want the wired for a full face helmet

·
Registered
600 Posts
Litning is right if you wear a full face helmet you want the kit for the full face helmet with the wired mic. The wired mic tucks into the chin guard part of a full face helmet.

The boom mike attaches to the inside of an open face helmet and sticks out in front of your mouth. It has the foam covering which helps cancel out wind noise.

·
Registered
160 Posts
on the cheap

My wife rides her own bike. We took a ride down through the Red woods a couple of years ago. We had a pair of 2-way radios that we had purchased from Cabela's. They had VOC, but we had problems with one mic or the other holding the channel open. We used the ptt for a while, but I got tired of listening to her. Eventually we just gave up on the whole radio thing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My wife rides her own bike. We took a ride down through the Red woods a couple of years ago. We had a pair of 2-way radios that we had purchased from Cabela's. They had VOC, but we had problems with one mic or the other holding the channel open. We used the ptt for a while, but I got tired of listening to her. Eventually we just gave up on the whole radio thing.
LOL at the last sentence.

If you really want a set go for it but its not going to be used for what you think it will...

First it will be chatty Kathy thats great only so much as shes going to be did you see that? Wow look over there?... Your eyes won't be on the road during those times annoying. You may tell her to stop at which point you feel the death beem in the back of your head and just wait until you stop the beam turns to words... Then you'll hit the road again and she will have to be her back hurts my butt hurts I am so bored blah blah blah.

My wife suffers from verbal bitching its a syndrome that is annoying as hell but all married men have learned to deal with it in a car. Now on my bike after nearly everyone of my family members as mentioned we get a set I look at them with death eyes and they shut up :D. Their husbands know exactly why and I tell them thats great in all but they need batteries or a cord or something thats just one more thing to lug around with us when we already have all of our PPE. Yes I have saddle bags... Its filled with her **** if shes on the bike. Anything past that driver seat instantly becomes her domain. Just like the bed she gets her 3/4 and you get your corner. Sometimes I make it a habit to drink a few shots of whiskey before sleeping and crash right in the dang middle.

I am 225 6'4" shes 5'2" and a 105 I don't get moved :D

But if you feel you really need it then great but I have just told mine tap 3 times to pee tap 4 if you need a rest. If I stop on 4 then great if I push it a few more miles down the road I didn't feel comfortable stopping for x y or z reason and to keep your opinion to yourself as her safety is in my hands and she needs to really understand that one.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Sena, all the way! All joking aside, you do not have to be "live" all the time. I like to listen to music through mine. But hands down they are the best safety product we have bought...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also agreeing Annie! I have the Sena SMH10s and they are pretty great. I have not had anyone complain about not hearing me while on the freeway (65-80mph) with a full faced helmet. I have used them with a phone and as an intercom with a passenger like I said, no problems. As for music, they are a little "tinny", but that's a complaint I have heard from almost all headsets. If I want to listen to music I just throw in some headphones.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I like BT Interphone for the price. You can usually get them for less than $100. They work well at close range but you might need something more if you're trying to talk across a long distance.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Thanks in advance!
If you can find it, the Cardo Scala is a good system. I have the G4 that I have paired with my brother and fiance for when the three of us ride together. The Scala has intercom, MP3 connectivity, FM radio, and bluetooth connection to cell phone or GPS systems. With the G9 being on the market, you can probably start seeing the G4 prices drop. Just try to get a pair, connecting to solo units can be a pain in the tail.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you both have smart phones (like everyone) you can use a walkie-talkie app that uses bluetooth between the phones.
The phones have to both be either android or iphone.
I don't know what headphones you use though.
Certainly the cheapest way to find out of you want/have to listen to her a whole ride.
This can also be used between 2 bikes, as long as you're right near ea. other.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts