Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a HCTRA toll tag for my motorcycle & the instructions say to mount it on my windshield. I would prefer to just keep it in my jacket pocket. Do any riders that have one have any problems just putting it in their pocket? Or is mounting on the windshield the only way to use it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ideally, you want the large flat surface pointed forward and up, if you have it in your jacket, much like a phone would be, it wouldn't have the best reception angle and might not trigger.
Doesn't mean it won't work, or that you can't do it, but it doesn't only have to be on the windshield, anywhere else would work too, just the sensors are normally mounted above the gate pointed down and slightly back or to the side angled at the car rearview mirror, highspeed lanes they are above the lane pointed normally at a 45. Keep it away from metal though, as much as possibly, especially behind and infront of it.

Mountint it between your forks should work, probably not the best attractive option though.

Actually, my truck has a metal windshield, so it wasn't possible to mount it inside the cab/windshield, for that they had a external sensor mounted on the licenseplate bracket on the front.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Ironically, if you dont want the easy pass to work (if you are pulling a trailer and have to get the ticket stub and pay extra) you have to put the pass in a metalized plastic bag. Otherwise you will pay the cash and the EZ pass will register and charge you twice, even if its in your glove compartment in your car.

Some highways have the sensors on the road and pick up at speed (express lanes and HOV lanes). You dont want to have to pull the thing out of your pocket and wave it in the air.

I wonder what they would tell you to do if you dont have a windshield on your bike?!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ah yes, almost forgot about that.

Not all tollbooths are the same :)

Most of them picked up my pass just fine on my bumper. There are a few, in NY on i90 that just refused to register it. And some in NJ on i78. The others (all in MA, PA, NJ Tunnel) worked fine no matter how hidden it was, so they would likely pick it up in the glovebox too.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Washington DC is nuts with the express lanes and EZpass ONLY exists. If you get boxed in on the wrong lane and are forced off an exist without an EZpass, you #*(*$& SCREWED!

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
I'm in Houston just like you. Keep my easy tag in saddle bag. Only once has it not picked up in 3 years and that was on 99. They said I must have been moving too fast, who me speed?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Since I have a windshield now for longer faster rides, I just purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015UIPMH2?tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20&ref_=nav_signin&

you could put your EZ pass on it.

If you dont want to stick the EZ pass on your nice windshield, you could also attach the EZpass on top of the steering head assembly, butting up against the handlebar (at least on the 650) with the sticky tape stuff they give you. The first couple times you try it, go through the lanes with a collector, just in case it does not register.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Got a HCTRA toll tag for my motorcycle & the instructions say to mount it on my windshield. I would prefer to just keep it in my jacket pocket. Do any riders that have one have any problems just putting it in their pocket? Or is mounting on the windshield the only way to use it.

Put it under your seat. That is where I have mine and it has been there since I got the bike. The new harris county tolls don't actually read the sensor, it reads your license plate. I don't even have one for my car but I get charged.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
In NY state going through the EZ pass lane with no (working) transponder gets you an auto-generated $50 ticket in the mail.

If you have a transponder and it did not register you can talk your way out of it, but you still get the ticket every time.

Ive never had a transponder not work in any of my cars, but Ive never tried to "hide it" - its always on the windshield or the dash board.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Stupid EZpass website!

I added my MC to my account 3 weeks ago. Nothing in the mail....

Looked at the vehicle list and the tag list, and realized the tags are not assigned to any specific vehicle.

One might think when you add another vehicle that they would send you another tag...

But One would be wrong!

You have to request that they send you another tag along with adding the vehicle...

Fortunately it also means you can move your tags from one vehicle to the other, because they are not assigned to a specific car.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
In Harris County here in Houston the easy tag is nothing but a sticker. They shoot a picture of you licence plate and bill according to that. Used to be a sensor in the tag but no more. I operate a small fleet at work and all the new ones come that way. On the back of each sticker is the VIN of vehicle. Had a broken windshield replaced with out getting ez tag and still got charged.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have something similar for the toll roads in California. Normally it works fine in the jacket pocket.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
7 weeks!

I went online to get an ezpass for my motorcycle 7 weeks ago. It showed up in the mail today.

After I registered my MC license number nothing came in the mail for 3 weeks. I looked online again and you have to REQUEST they send you a pass for your vehicle.

I did that, and about two weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying I must also send in a copy of my MC registration, because a MC ezPass allows you to ride in HOV lanes.

And now finally 49 days later, its HERE!

Good thing I wasnt planning a big trip in July
or August...

Its different from the ones in my cars, it has a giant M on the front that will show through the windshield

I guess that stands for MIGHTY MOUSE.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's crazy. When i got the MC one i requested it and they mailed it in like 3 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts