Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I just rode my RSTD to Tybee Island, Ga and back- ended up in rain to where the windshield was fogging on the inside- visibility was poor at best. In fact I could see better trying to see over the windshield. Any products available to keep this from happening??
thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
67 Posts
rain -x or rain-x antifog

NO!!!!! it will ruin plexiglass!!!!!! use Plexus or some other stuff made for plexi.. If you have an aftermarket Clearview shield it Rain-X will not ruin it, but they still do not recommend it..

Personally I use Pledge Wipes. (non-scented because the lemon ones can attract bees in the summer) And I have a Venture with an XXL Clearview that cannot be looked over at all.

One of the problems with the stock RSTD or Venture shields is the angle does not promote the wind blowing off the rain, even if you use Plexus or Pledge. I like looking through the shield, and the Clearview, on the Venture at least, has more angle to help the wind blow the water off once you are moving.. I also have the Goldwing vent in my shield, which keeps air moving on the inside of the shield to help with fogging too.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Rain

Ken,

Ben there done that. My windsield is about nose high so I can lean down a bit or sit up and look over it. My best view in the rain is, no glasses, looking over the windshield, through a face mask. So I am only looking through only one layer of wet glass or plastic that is close to my eyes. There is enough spray that the glasses would eventuly get wet.

I don't always have a face mask so I don't want to stick my head up in the rain. Rain drops sting. In this case I look through the windshield, with Glasses on. Two layers of wet glass or plastic.

I keep wax on my windshield. I keep a can of cleaner polish in my bag. I can clean bugs off without scratching the windshield and water beads up. Yamaha or Honda cleaner polish does not harm the windshield.

Dave

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
there is "wet" and there is "fog". I don't see a lot of help here for "fog". When the w/s is just wet, I can slow the pace down a little and deal with the reduced and slightly distorted vision.

I use the Honda cleaner regularly and it does seem to help shed water but I've seen it also cause excessive fogging (abrupt temperature change along with other humidity factors)

For rain - my best friend is the gloves with a fleece back and swipe at the w/s as needed.

The fleece back is also nice for the cold morning ride runny nose phenomenon. (wash on a regular basis)

·
Registered
254 Posts
When It was raining was my only free time, to visit my brother 250 miles away. I enjoy riding in a light rain, but not in lightening. I never looked thru a windshield.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sugar Bear is a big fan of Lucas products, a while back, he ran across "Lucas Slick Mist" it's a speed wax, wipe on wipe off. Makes bugs and stuff slide off very good( and gives a great easy shine) rain seems to do the same, at least that is how it has worked for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do not ever use Rain-X on any Motorcycle Windshield. It is meant for glass and will very quickly eat away at the coating on your windshield. Your windshield will become very blurred within 6 months from using Rain-X

1 - 13 of 13 Posts