Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trouble finding not only boots that fit but also shoes, had this all my life. Currently I wear a 10.5 4E width and an 18" calf. Tried some riding boots but no luck, either they fit width wise but had too small of an opening or the other way around so started looking at other styles. I found these on Zappos, Laredo Bisbee square toe "cowboy" rubber soled boots. They arrived today and other than the instep being a little snug they fit perfectly. And I like the color, it's different and I like different, I'm in the southwest high desert and they give me that southwest feel.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
969 Posts
11.5 EEEE here. Would love to sport some boots just like what you have there, but at this point I doubt I could reach far enough to pull them on. Mostly slip on New Balance for me, my Gucci days are over.
Nice looking boots, hope the last a long time for you.

Reactions: kje54

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
For you guys/gals with "odd" feet size.
Can you get a pair close enough and have a cobbler adjust them?
I am asking out of ignorance.

Ride Smart. Ride Often.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
969 Posts
For you guys/gals with "odd" feet size.
Can you get a pair close enough and have a cobbler adjust them?
I am asking out of ignorance.

Ride Smart. Ride Often.
Maybe, if you could find a cobbler. But if it required much more than maybe stretching the leather a little, why go for any type of 'rebuild'? That would be $$ on top of $$.
I wish it was as easy as that. My wife buys shoes online. Me? I can buy 5 pair of the same shoe, same size and they won't all fit the same. Go figure.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Those are cowboy boots, not riding boots. Those are too pretty to dirty up riding.
If you want riding boots, look at Milwaukee riding boots.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are cowboy boots, not riding boots. Those are too pretty to dirty up riding.
If you want riding boots, look at Milwaukee riding boots.
Yeah I know they're cowboy boots but they fit. Besides cowboy boots were designed specifically as riding boots back in the 1870s.......... Granted those early ones didn't really look all that much like our modern cowboy boots but they were still designed for riding.

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,550 Posts
Yeah I know they're cowboy boots but they fit. Besides cowboy boots were designed as riding boots back in the 1870s.......... Granted those early ones didn't really look all that much like our modern cowboy boots but they were still designed for riding.
I would prefer a cowboy boot they fit tighter than a engineer boot. Unfortunately mine have a leather sole and suck for riding, to slippery. Mine also have the heel made for digging in when roping cows.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I don't have much of a choice, I have a carbon fiber insert in each boot, so they have to be tall enough inside to accept the insert. These are the boots I get from the VA with my inserts.

Brown Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Font Athletic shoe

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would prefer a cowboy boot they fit tighter than a engineer boot. Unfortunately mine have a leather sole and suck for riding, to slippery.
They make thin rubber non-slip "pads" to put on shoe soles and heels. I used this one on a pair of East German boots I had in hopes those would become my riding boots. The boots themselves were too big ending up being less than desirable.

I don't have much of a choice, I have a carbon fiber insert in each boot, so they have to be tall enough inside to accept the insert. These are the boots I get from the VA with my inserts.

View attachment 117096
Nice. I want to make sure I got this right, you got the shoes through the VA or just the inserts? I'm ask one former squid from another............ If you got the whole setup from the VA maybe I should.

Reactions: scootersage

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I remember in the 70's this is what all bikers wore , with a couple master links for the bike drive chain hooked on the harness part of the boot.

Gesture Synthetic rubber Boot Steel-toe boot Durango boot

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Nice. I want to make sure I got this right, you got the shoes through the VA or just the inserts? I'm ask one former squid from another............ If you got the whole setup from the VA maybe I should.
I get the boots with the inserts from VA. When covid hit and they had no in person stuff at VA , I called and they sent me 2 pair of boots, well with everything locked down we didn't go anywhere, so I have one pair still in the box.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get the boots with the inserts from VA. When covid hit and they had no in person stuff at VA , I called and they sent me 2 pair of boots, well with everything locked down we didn't go anywhere, so I have one pair still in the box.
The VA lockdown here isn't as tight as it was just a month ago but there are still some departments that only do everything via a phone or through MyHealthyVet messaging.

11.5 EEEE here. Would love to sport some boots just like what you have there, but at this point I doubt I could reach far enough to pull them on. Mostly slip on New Balance for me, my Gucci days are over.
Nice looking boots, hope the last a long time for you.
Boot pulls, without them I couldn't get the boots on.........

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
This was last year's lockdown. They wear very well for riding boots. In a normal year of riding ( about 20k miles) they will last a year. Since COVID we might do 1k a month now at most. I finally broke out the new pair at the first of this year and they still look new.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was last year's lockdown. They wear very well for riding boots. In a normal year of riding ( about 20k miles) they will last a year. Since COVID we might do 1k a month now at most. I finally broke out the new pair at the first of this year and they still look new.
You all didn't have a second lockdown? We did.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
We live in Florida, NW corner, they leave us alone, We had a big lockdown in 2020, eased up in 2021, only Federal Government continued it in our area, everyone else said screw it.
Our only problem now is not enough people filling the jobs vacated in the first lockdown.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,181 Posts
Thankfully I don't have a large or uncommon width to make finding boots a challenge. But still like everyone mentioned there are just some that fit and feel better than others. I used to ride with my lace-up leather work boots I wear around home when working outside. But I don't like my pant cuffs getting hung up on the top of the boot or laces. So I'm always adjusting my pant leg after every stop. Don't like the wind on my ankles so tennis shoes are out.

A couple years ago I ran across a pair of Red Wing Pecos boots. Similar to a cowboy boot but with a lower heel. Nice rubber soles for a good grip. They are all I care to wear when I ride now. I'm not a fan of the straps/rings on the Engineer boots so these fit my bland style perfectly. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts