Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally this time of year with weather getting nicer I'm looking forward to every second on my bike. But lately the thrill is gone. I commute every day regardless of weather. This past winter wasn't good for me, yes we have winter in Houston. I have averaged over one thousand miles a month for the last 4 years. My bike has turned into just a mode of transportation and not the release it was. Has anyone else out there gone thru this before? What got your enthusiasm back? I see a couple options, cage it for a while, my Mustang is fun, or maybe a couple days on an out of town ride without a purpose. All feedback and comments are welcome.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Ive lived in a lot of places, upstate NY, central PA, WPB Florida, Cedar Rapids Iowa, and Ive been through at least half the states.

Some of the places, like south florida and Iowa were just boring places to be outside, and more so on a motorcycle. They were both laid out on grid patterns, everywhere you went was a straight line till you turned at an intersection onto another straight line. The highest elevation south of Jacksonville is a bridge over the inter-coastal waterway (Im not kidding).

Part of the appeal of a motorcycle is that it is so responsive in curves, and it actually wants to turn when your countersteer the handlegrips. A car is the opposite, when you turn right the gyro forces on the wheels are trying to lean them left, the wrong way, and rip them off the ball joints and lean the car to the left...

I go out of my way to make my rides more interesting. When Im commuting I sometimes take the long way home, sometimes the very long way home (+ 2 hrs). Sometimes when I ride to work in the morning on a beautiful day, I sigh when I get to the driveway at work, cause I would LOVE to just keep riding and see where I end up by noon.

Ive always been an outdoor person. When I lived in Florida and Iowa the primary reason I left was because I got tired and bored of living there. Not that there is anything wrong with living in texas in general, but MC rides are great when there are mountains and streams and forests and little towns every 20 miles, and there is always another road on the map that you have never ridden.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
I think all of the responses have merit and are great suggestions. Upgrade something on your bike and take a road trip to a place you've never been to or have always wanted to go to. Set your own schedule and take a few pics along the way for the memories to look back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Me personally, I would stop commuting on the bike. I have ridden my bike to work a few times because I thought it would be fun. Turns out it isn't. For me the bike is not fun when I am going a certain place in a certain time. What I truly enjoy on the bike is going to the end of the driveway and deciding, "do I wanna go left or right" then just go.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I can see your problem. If it were me I would cage it for awhile, keep the bike for weekends when you can go from point A to point B By way of the C-Z scenic route. If you can maybe get a second bike to change it up some for riding styles. Find a good group to ride with that might be able to show you some back roads you never knew about. I plan trips on Google Maps I let the map figure the fastest route, then I grab the lines and drag them around some. For example, in a couple of weeks I am leading a ride. Point A to Point B is 34 miles, So far this trip is about 127 miles. That does not include the ride home.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I commute to work everyday on a bike, but I have a "commuter" bike and a "weekend" bike. My Vstar is my weekend bike, my FZ1 is the commuter.

I am not saying you need 2 bikes to be happy, but it can't hurt.

Also drive the car for a bit and see if the change of scenery helps.

Due to some rain last week I had to drive a few days (I refuse to ride in the rain) and I was itching to be back on 2 wheels after dealing with traffic and the other nonsense and posturing other drivers present.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I can see a parody of this situation

a retreat where a rider goes with his MC for several days,

out in the country, by the mountains... to rekindle that lost flame of passion o_O

·
Registered
364 Posts
It definitely has a lot to do with where you are riding. I am fortunate to be living in an area of untouched natural beauty. It's difficult to grow bored of rides which feature scenic ocean views at every turn, pods of humpback whales, woodland caribou by the hundreds, and a great many breathtaking icebergs. I suggest that you sell your house and move to northern Newfoundland, where you can still buy an oceanfront home for under a hundred grand. I assure you that your @ss will be glued to the seat daily.
:wink:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

view from hillside behind our house

road leading to our place

view from our shoreline

versus this ...

·
Registered
346 Posts
It definitely has a lot to do with where you are riding. I am fortunate to be living in an area of untouched natural beauty. It's difficult to grow bored of rides which feature scenic ocean views at every turn, pods of humpback whales, woodland caribou by the hundreds, and a great many breathtaking icebergs. I suggest that you sell your house and move to northern Newfoundland, where you can still buy an oceanfront home for under a hundred grand. I assure you that your @ss will be glued to the seat daily.

view from hillside behind our house

road leading to our place

view from our shoreline
Please correct me if I am wrong, but that area is covered in snow or very cold rain about 9 or 10 months of the year right?

We have plenty of the bad traffic here in San Diego, but I ride regularly year round. but now we are getting off topic.

I want to visit Newfoundland one day. There is an island up there full of wild horses that would be incredible to visit.

·
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone has been on target with suggestions. The photo on traffic is me everyday. I just need to remember that being on two wheels is MUCH better than in cage. I did take a different way home that helped break the routine. I get into a routine of same road every day and do not really pay attention as I should. So my short time fix is not take same route every day. I liked the suggestion of doing some type of change to the bike. A day ride is also in the works.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but that area is covered in snow or very cold rain about 9 or 10 months of the year right?
Not true at all. In fact, winter comes later to northern Newfoundland than to most other parts of the country. We have had just three white Christmases over the past 25 years. We usually see snow from late-January through to early April... (this year being the exception, as we had a rare winter storm mid-April) so a little less than three months with snow on the ground. May through October is generally sunshine and mid-20's to low-30's.(C) The southern half of the province sees some rain and fog in the summer months, but rarely in the central/northern regions. Autumn is usually very pleasant. I normally am riding from mid-April to late November.

I think the point I was trying to make is that it is not so much the weather which is the determining factor whether one gets bored of riding or not, but rather the local geography, scenery, type/quality of roads, etc.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are two intersections I sit in everyday, I-10 @ 610 and I -10 @ Beltway 8. One day I get smart and move out of this jungle.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here are two intersections I sit in everyday, I-10 @ 610 and I -10 @ Beltway 8. One day I get smart and move out of this jungle.
O. M. G... That is insanity, plain and simple! When I go out riding for an hour or so, I usually come across one or two other vehicles on the road, sometimes none. There are no freeways here, no traffic at all, not so much as a single traffic light on our island. (We do however have a handful of stop signs!) I cannot even begin to imagine wanting/needing to ride in that! I suggest that you come on up here for a visit, to unwind and enjoy the scenery. Sheesh... I'm just speechless!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Camperbc, we could swap for a few weeks. That way we would both have a place to stay. I would get out of my rut and you really appreciate your scenery. And yes, those are real pictures of normal Houston traffic.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Camperbc, we could swap for a few weeks. That way we would both have a place to stay. I would get out of my rut and you really appreciate your scenery. And yes, those are real pictures of normal Houston traffic.
We used to live just outside of Toronto back in the day, and later Vancouver, then one day the Missus and I decided that enough was enough; we wanted a place to live where there's no crime, no noise, no traffic, no pollution, where the doors are never locked, and the keys always stay in the ignition. We ended up with an oceanfront home on Fogo Island, our own version of Mayberry. It's like this place is stuck back in time... not necessarily a bad thing!

This is the view from our living room window, and the sandy beach is nearby.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Administrator
13,697 Posts
versus this ...

wow, 5 lanes on each side? that's a beautiful pic compared to only the 3 lanes we have for any Austin throughway which helps to currently make our city the 8th worst in the nation for traffic (Forbes, 4th worst in 2016). in the summer months of 100+ degree days i think that should move our city up to 1st place.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts