Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey US Southeast! North Central rider here. I've got a work conference in Naples FL next month and, I'm planning on riding down; because who wouldn't!! Now, I ride through Dayton OH (home) all the time. No big deal. Ridden through Cincinnati without issue. Took a trip last year and rode through Nashville on the way to Memphis (and back). No problem.

But I hear Atlanta GA is a NIGHTMARE! Is there a decent path around it (farther out than the I-285, which I hear is just as bad as straight through)? I have a planned overnight stop in Calhoun GA so, I'll be leaving there on a Tuesday morning. The return trip will have me going through/around ATL on the following Sunday - probably mid-afternoon.

Any guidance appreciated!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have relatives in ATL...Every time we go there it just stress's me out...Tons of traffic and they just fly...I do not know how my relatives taught their kids to drive because it truly is like a NASCAR event...Cars behind tucked up so tight you can not see their grill. 6 lanes or more of traffic...Good luck!

·
2,387 Posts
I used to drive long haul and Atlanta was by far the worst city to drive through (including NYC and Toronto). Unfortunately I don't know of any way around as an 18 wheeler isn't something you want to "try" shortcuts with. I always just stuck it out and tried to get there off peak traffic times, at night if possible. If you can't find a reasonably short way around, be careful.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to drive long haul and Atlanta was by far the worst city to drive through (including NYC and Toronto). Unfortunately I don't know of any way around as an 18 wheeler isn't something you want to "try" shortcuts with. I always just stuck it out and tried to get there off peak traffic times, at night if possible. If you can't find a reasonably short way around, be careful.
Yeah, a guy I'm going to visit on the way down said to go through after 10 PM. That's just not a viable option. For one thing, the factory windshield on my '14 Stratoliner has horrible glare from the speedo right in my line of sight. One of these days I may replace it with a Memphis Shades Batwing and lower wind screen but for now, I really try to avoid night driving. It's not really so bad in well lit areas but, once I get out away from streetlights, I really almost cannot see the road in front of me. So, it's daytime driving. :frown: I guess I'll just rely on Google Maps to get me around it.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
If the company is sending you, I would fly down, and maybe rent a bike while in Tampa to explore locally.

1500 miles each way is a good three day trip in each direction, it stops being fun when its an ordeal.

From Naples to Georgia border is almost 400 miles of straight flat boring motorcycle purgatory.

If I was riding I would take 77 over to 95 and ride down the coast. The temp in central florida is 20 degrees higher or more than along the east coast. then cut over across the everglades.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the company is sending you, I would fly down, and maybe rent a bike while in Tampa to explore locally.

1500 miles each way is a good three day trip in each direction, it stops being fun when its an ordeal.

If I was riding I would take 77 over to 95 and ride down the coast. The temp in central florida is 20 degrees higher or more than along the east coast. then cut over across the everglades.
Oh, trust me... the company would much rather I fly. I'm riding because I want to. I'm sure they're not going to pay me 58 cents/mile for the whole trip. We have a 500 mile (each way) cap and, they may not reimburse me any more than a flight would cost (less than $300). I don't care. I got the Strat to take trips on.

And, I'm doing it in 3 days. Dayton OH to Calhoun GA on Day 1 (444 miles); Calhoun to Dunnelin FL on Day 2 (435 miles) and, Dunnelin to Naples day 3 (261 miles). Reverse will be approximately the same after a 4 day conference. I did Dayton to just short of Memphis (Brownsville) TN in a day (471 miles) last year so, I don't see it being a problem. Of course, day 2 will actually be longer if I go around Atlanta - which I plan to do. I did have one day between going to B'ville and coming back... I've never done back-to-back rides that long. But, I usually usually stop more often than just for gas.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

Oh, trust me... the company would much rather I fly. I'm riding because I want to. I'm sure they're not going to pay me 58 cents/mile for the whole trip. We have a 500 mile (each way) cap and, they may not reimburse me any more than a flight would cost (less than $300). I don't care. I got the Strat to take trips on.

And, I'm doing it in 3 days. Dayton OH to Calhoun GA on Day 1 (444 miles); Calhoun to Dunnelin FL on Day 2 (435 miles) and, Dunnelin to Naples day 3 (261 miles). Reverse will be approximately the same after a 4 day conference. I did Dayton to just short of Memphis (Brownsville) TN in a day (471 miles) last year so, I don't see it being a problem. Of course, day 2 will actually be longer if I go around Atlanta - which I plan to do. I did have one day between going to B'ville and coming back... I've never done back-to-back rides that long. But, I usually usually stop more often than just for gas.
Well, the $300 would at least cover your gas!

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Why not start on 71 towards Charlotte and stay along the coast, avoid the ATL are completely? I have a daughter living in ATL and have seen the traffic.

Have fun, we know you will.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, a guy I'm going to visit on the way down said to go through after 10 PM. That's just not a viable option. For one thing, the factory windshield on my '14 Stratoliner has horrible glare from the speedo right in my line of sight. One of these days I may replace it with a Memphis Shades Batwing and lower wind screen but for now, I really try to avoid night driving. It's not really so bad in well lit areas but, once I get out away from streetlights, I really almost cannot see the road in front of me. So, it's daytime driving. :frown: I guess I'll just rely on Google Maps to get me around it.
Can you adjust the back-lighting so you don't have that glare riding at night?

On my Road Star there is a key/button sequence to adjust the lighting.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Angle / rake the windshield forward a bit and the refection of the speedo will drop down lower.

On my 650 the speedo reflection looks like a big wall clock, floating about 100 feet infront of the bike, down below my line of site. Too bad its too blurry to read, and backwards.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you adjust the back-lighting so you don't have that glare riding at night?

On my Road Star there is a key/button sequence to adjust the lighting.
There is. I've just been too lazy to go out at night (when I could see the glare) and futz through the sequence to adjust everything. As I recall, there are three settings (maybe only 2?). Pointer brightness, LCD brightness and, Panel brightness? I've googled this and have found a couple of threads on this issue. I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to cobble up a cowl like exist for the Raider/Stryker.
https://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-Chrome-Speedometer-N7830/dp/B00AW25CHW

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Angle / rake the windshield forward a bit and the refection of the speedo will drop down lower.

On my 650 the speedo reflection looks like a big wall clock, floating about 100 feet infront of the bike, down below my line of site. Too bad its too blurry to read, and backwards.
I've looked at it. Short of removing the actual windscreen from the frame putting in spacers, the factory windshield doesn't seem to have any method for adjusting the tilt. Here are some threads (from this site and others) with similar complaints; and no solutions other than DIY.

Speedometer glare on windshield | Cruiser Community

https://www.motorcycleforums.net/forum/roadliner/18805-instrument-glare.html

Windshield Glare « Motorcycle Club

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/15-stratoliner-roadliner/522-reflection-windshield.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you're planning on Interstate down to Naples then stopping at Calhoun is fine since its right off of I-75. From there I'd get on state 53 to Rome, going through Cedartown, Carollton and down to LaGrange.

Jump over to 185 into Columbus (my home town, incidentally but I haven't lived there since the early 70's). Get on US 27/280 through Cusseta and Dawson. Pass through Albany heading towards Tifton. Then its back on I-75 all the way to Naples.

Atlanta is horrible traffic 24 hours a day. There is no good time of the day or day of the week. Damned if I know where everyone is going.

·
Registered
616 Posts
But I hear Atlanta GA is a NIGHTMARE!
I used to have to go to Atlanta for work now and then a long time ago and it was the pits way back when. I liked Atlanta ok in general, but did not like driving around it or through it at all and this is back when I was young and immortal. Everything I hear from friends still there confirms the stressful nature of crossing that huge metro area today -- and that's in a car.

I'm looking on google maps at Atlanta right now at about 3pm CDT Thursday, 4/18/19 and I'm counting 5 annotated accidents on the interstate loop 285 that you would drive on to avoid downtown. There's another on I-75 just north of the loop you would drive past and one downtown if you chose that way. Plus it shows stopped traffic all over downtown. Good thing it isn't rush hour.

I imagine you've already investigated every different way, but the Asheville-Coloumbia-Savannah route only adds 80 miles and 90 minutes and looks like it would be a lot more scenic, which gets my attention.

Cutting out Columbia and heading due south through Augusta cuts a few miles and adds a few minutes because it is not interstate through that stretch, but my recollection of that area is that driving through it was pleasant.

Just a few alternatives to think about. I prefer non-interstate routes whenever I have the time. When I'm on my bike, that's most of the time. Unfortunately, those 1k+ mile trips pretty much require interstate routes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If you're planning on Interstate down to Naples then stopping at Calhoun is fine since its right off of I-75. From there I'd get on state 53 to Rome, going through Cedartown, Carollton and down to LaGrange.

Jump over to 185 into Columbus (my home town, incidentally but I haven't lived there since the early 70's). Get on US 27/280 through Cusseta and Dawson. Pass through Albany heading towards Tifton. Then its back on I-75 all the way to Naples.

Atlanta is horrible traffic 24 hours a day. There is no good time of the day or day of the week. Damned if I know where everyone is going.
Hey, that looks like a great route! Thanks a million! I had originally plotted a route where I get off the interstate at Marietta and took surface streets to the west through Lithia Springs and around to Forest Park. Your suggestion adds a few more miles but, probably saves me from Atlanta surface street traffic. Probably better scenery, too. I think this is my new plan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to have to go to Atlanta for work now and then a long time ago and it was the pits way back when. I liked Atlanta ok in general, but did not like driving around it or through it at all and this is back when I was young and immortal. Everything I hear from friends still there confirms the stressful nature of crossing that huge metro area today -- and that's in a car.

I'm looking on google maps at Atlanta right now at about 3pm CDT Thursday, 4/18/19 and I'm counting 5 annotated accidents on the interstate loop 285 that you would drive on to avoid downtown. There's another on I-75 just north of the loop you would drive past and one downtown if you chose that way. Plus it shows stopped traffic all over downtown. Good thing it isn't rush hour.

I imagine you've already investigated every different way, but the Asheville-Coloumbia-Savannah route only adds 80 miles and 90 minutes and looks like it would be a lot more scenic, which gets my attention.

Cutting out Columbia and heading due south through Augusta cuts a few miles and adds a few minutes because it is not interstate through that stretch, but my recollection of that area is that driving through it was pleasant.

Just a few alternatives to think about. I prefer non-interstate routes whenever I have the time. When I'm on my bike, that's most of the time. Unfortunately, those 1k+ mile trips pretty much require interstate routes.
Ouch! If I'd reached out here before making reservations for the night in Calhoun GA, I agree - that would probably have been the better choice. But I'm locked in now. I think I'll be taking the route to west suggested by 750 Chris.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You won't go into actual Columbus at all so while there is a bit of traffic, its not in-town type. Its really quite comfortable. 185 dead-ends into the main gate of Fort Benning but you won't go that far before turning off eastward. Albany is a nice place. This route will put you on 2-lane roads and sometimes on 4-lanes. A nice mixture. Just remember to go the speed limits in the towns and you'll do fine.

Its been five years since I've been back to Georgia (mom's funeral) but I doubt anything has substantially changed, if at all. Perhaps Atlanta traffic is worse.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Of course you can also just go the above route to Carollton but then go to Newnan, and find state 54 eastward to Griffin. Pass through Griffin and I-75 is just a few miles away. Then you'll be able to eat up the miles again on the freeway. I guess it depends on if you want a more scenic route of a faster one. Options, options...……..

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I have no experience riding past Atlanta, but go past Washington DC 3 or four times a year.

I have found coming down from PA heading for 95, its usually better to by pass DC by staying on 15, to 17, and catching 95 on the other side of DC at Fredricksburg Maryland. If it was 3AM my bypass route would add maybe half an hour, but nearly anytime in the day or evening DC traffic is stop and go, and can take hours longer.

The thing is, google maps and my GPS never suggests my bypass route - I found it myself, its mostly secondary two lane roads, but its almost always faster and far less aggravating to drive.

and here is the connection between this and your route around Atalanta: google maps and GPS is going to tell EVERYONE to take the same path, and its not going to tell anyone to take the secondary roads. When the highways are like parking lots, no one will be on the secondary roads, because the trip planners tell everyone to go the same way.

Sit down with a map and find your own way around Atlanta, or use the experience of others here, and tell the computer trip planning functions what to go do with themselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts