Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... Going to be trailering my RoadStar out of the snow and ice in a few weeks. Wondering what the weather is typically like around mid March? Would like to tour around Myrtle and perhaps Charleston & Savannah? Any feedback appreciated. Cheers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Highway 17 is a really scenic route. It goes from Myrtle beach, SC to Jacksonville, fl. And Charleston and Savannah in between. Francis-Marion forest is on the route too. It goes further north and south than Myrtle/ Jacksonville but That seems to be the range your talking about. The weather is mild then, but it can be a bit rainy. Also, the area is completely covered in pollen. I've ridden in Charleston the last 4 years in February/ March/ April and every time I do, My white t-shirt is almost entirely green after a 2-3 hour ride. Just make sure you wear a full face or use a bandana and some riding goggles so it doesn't get in your nose and eyes. Other nuiscances are Crane Flies, or Giant Mosquitos. They don't bite, but they can smack you in the forehead pretty hard at 60 mph. They come out in the early evening right before nightfall and are more prevalent around the marsh areas. The average temp is in the mid 60's. I hope this helps answer your question. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Typical highs in the 60's overnight lows in the 40's, breezy, and how comfortable you are depends on how much sunlight you're in. Highway 17 is a decent ride, lots of stop and go in the larger towns like Myrtle, and Charleston but you can go from the NC state Line to the GA line in a day. Tourist season isnt yet in full swing in March so hotels/condos are not that expensive. I know you can get an Oceanfront 2 bedroom condo for $75-ish a night in Myrtle.

And to echo what fastalon said the bugs can feel like rain around dusk, we normally wear a handkerchief around our face and a good set of glasses. A big one will feel like a rock at 60 though.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Thinking back on last year, I rode all seven days during the week of St. Patricks Day. It's not looking like I'll do a repeat of that this year. :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts