Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm supposed to be riding from Texas to Arkansas this weekend to ride the Talimena Drive but there is a strong chance of thunderstorms in my area on Friday. The weather forecast clears up mostly in Arkansas. Sould I risk it and go or just cancel my trip? What's your opinion on riding in the rain?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I personally think it depends on a lot of things:

In no particular order...
1. How confident are you in your riding abilities?
2. What kind of rain gear do you have?
3. How bad is the storm going to be? Long heavy showers or short heavy showers or light rain all day or...?
4. If you do get caught in it will there be somewhere to wait out the worst of it?
5. How badly do you want to do the ride in Arkansas?! Will it still be fun if it's wet?

I got caught once on an interstate in torrential rain... idiots in cages speeding past, nowhere to pull over (not even a curb lane) and I could barely see 100ft in front of me. Scariest ride of my life and not something I would ever tempt fate with again.:(

Go with your gut and be safe :eek:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I'd go if I were you. I get soaked in heavy rain numerous times every summer as there is always a chance of thunder storms during the dog days of summer here. The worst is riding at night in the rain, I can certainly do without that ever again. That happened to me on a long trip out to Nova Scotia, I checked into my hotel, dripping water all over the hotel lobby. Every lamp in my room was lit all night but with my riding gloves and leather jacket draped over them to help them dry. On the way home, guess what? yep, more rain.

But if you see professional storm chaser vehicles on the same road your on, get the hell outta there fast. :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I started riding more when there is a risk of rain because i want the experience 'under my belt'. I plan on doing some road trips in the future and i want to be prepared. The way i see it, i get the experience and i get to start working out the bugs in my rain gear (among other things). Sometimes it also makes for an interesting stories around the campfire :D

Go for it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
It may dampen some of the enjoyment, but I'd go anyway. Been in rain plenty. Not on purpose, but we can't control mother nature when we are miles from home. Slow and steady as she goes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
M'Lady makes some good points. I just came back from a road trip and did some riding in the rain. My gear is great. I felt comfortable. My bike road very well too. Minimal traffic to worry about on the roads I went on. I had a full face, but no shield, and even wore fingerless gloves. I felt fine.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Riding in the rain with good tires is not a bad thing. Have ridden in many storms.
the more protection you have the better. Road snakes could become an issue. You
Cant see them in a heavy storm. So ride safe, but don't miss out on a great time because
of some thunderstorms

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jack_2bad - What are road snakes? Are they literally snakes on the roads or is it another name for something else???

For me, I've always shy'd away from riding in the rain (coming from the world of sport bikes where I only rode within town). But I do plan on doing much longer rides at some point and I know I'll be hitting not so ideal weather down the line. I'd say go for it and pull over somewhere safe when it gets too much for you and just wait it out. And don't ride when it's dark and rainy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"road snakes" are the strips of tar used to fill in cracks in the asphalt. When it rains they tend to get a bit slippery, as do any painted markings on the road.

I live in the Seattle area, where if you plan on riding more than a few times a year you have to get used to the idea of riding in the rain.

Riding in wet weather is really only bad in really heavy downpours, but with good gear and a full face helmet it's not too much to worry about.

My only words of advice:

1. Good gear - having decent gear for riding in wet weather can spell the difference between an enjoyable wet ride and a horrible wet ride.

2. Take breaks - if the rain gets really heavy or if you start to get cold and wet, stop off and take a break to warm up and let the rain let up a bit.

3. Slow down - You're going to hit slippery patches of road when riding in the rain and going too fast over these areas can spell disaster. Slowing down will give you more time to survey the road ahead of you and avoid troublesome areas of the road, and will give you more time to react should someone else stop short or cut you off.

Overall, if you don't feel comfortable about riding the wet weather, then go with your gut. Otherwise, put on the rain gear and go! ;)

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
The snakes are slippery when wet and just as bad, if not worse, when they become gooey in the hot sun. In the corners these things suck.

Another little trick is, during heavy downpours, stay a good distance behind a car and let them find the flooded street areas up ahead.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ride almost everyday and I get wet rides a few times a year. I always have my rain suit in the saddlebag. I use Frog Togs brand. Florecent slime green for the jacket. Easier to be seen. If I know it will be raining during a trip I also put in my rubber boots. They have soles, arches and heels. The slip over booties are a joke and so clumsy I consider them a hazard. Carry an extra pair of gloves because they will get soaked. A face shield is a must. If you have a full face helmet that is a benefit. Wipe it down with anti fog cleaner like Plastex. Be sure you have good tread. SLOW DOWN!! I know you think you may get run over but just stay slightly under the flow or with the flow of traffic but not 70 mph if its raining cats and dogs! I have friends that are experienced riders and they say drive like normal even in the rain. Well, I slow down in my car in the rain, so I guess that would be normal. Avoid riding at night in the rain. Lots of glare and hard to see things out there. Some are moving! I actually enjoy riding in the rain from time to time. I even do it on purpose when the temps are right. Nothing like a country drive in the fresh smelling rain on a warm day. I just try to be extra cautious. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I live in the Seattle area, where if you plan on riding more than a few times a year you have to get used to the idea of riding in the rain.
I spent 9 months living in the Seattle area before the constant rain got to us so badly we had to move... I used my motorcycle (a Vulcan 500) as a daily commuter and I think I had maybe 3 rides where I didn't get wet. Learnt a LOT about riding in the rain. Got awesome gear because of it. Never want to deal with it again! :eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm supposed to be riding from Texas to Arkansas this weekend to ride the Talimena Drive but there is a strong chance of thunderstorms in my area on Friday. The weather forecast clears up mostly in Arkansas. Sould I risk it and go or just cancel my trip? What's your opinion on riding in the rain?
The question is.... are you still in Texas or did you go for it? :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
observation

I have been in the states a few times on a sportbike for the twistties. The road snakes there are far more wider then we have here in Ontario and provinces east of me. I have a friend that hit a road snake in lake placid area while in a corner and crashed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well all you brave soldiers riding in the rain..... I'll pass, it's no fun. And yea I'v encountered a couple times when it was unavoidable. Pouring monsoon rains in the summer. It's dangerous enough in the rain with cars who can't see with fogged up windows and irratic driving. It's just too risky to do it unless you just Have to.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I hate getting stuck at work because of rain and I'd rather get soaked than stay at my desk, but I do monitor local dopler radar and either delay my departure or go get soaked. On a long trip I'll pull over and put on the rain gear and forge onward until it's over or find a place to have a coffee or two and wait it out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts