Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 15 degrees C last Saturday, January 12. It was time to replace that loud V&H with stock pipes I acquired just before Christmas. The Scarborough January can be a little harsh, but that day it was if it was in mid April. After leaving a bit of skin from my knuckles on various parts of the bike, I was able to get them installed. But without the Exup cables, what to do. The choice, leave it floating or lock wire the valve full open. I chose the latter and fired it up. Wow, I could hear these strange noises emanating from the engine. Wait, right, I can actually hear the engine now. Hmm. Gotta get used to that.

So, the next trick was to get it out of the shed, and turn it around to face to street. After a 65 point turn, and making a lovely compass rose in the side lawn, it was a race to get my gear on and get out on the road before the sun receded and the temperature plummeted. A quick run to the gas station up the corner of Kingston Road and Lawrence, became bit of a situation. I stalled it just as I started my left turn. Quickly, I hit the starter. With the clutch drag and a mid winter battery, it slowly turned over. I kicked it out of gear and released the clutch and hit the starer again. It turned over, but by this time it wasn't cooperating. I must have put it off its fuel schedule, as it wouldn't fire. Now what? Traffic honking, people watching. Am I embarrassed? Duh!. So I kicked it over onto the side stand, and made my left turn using the crosswalk and a lot of sweating a grunting. When I got it up on the sidewalk, I put it back on the stand, pulled off my fogged up helment and said to the young woman looking at me, "Well that was a dumb place for it to die". When I hit the starter, it fired right up. Hmm again. Next question. Was it the Exup valve locked open that played a part in this? I don't think so, but who knows. Maybe it needed to understand that it had to behave like it used to before those boisterous V&H where installed. Now to find a pair of those gold plated Exup valve cables. Or at least they should be gold plate, for the price the factory wants. That was my Saturday in January ride. How about you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome to the 4M, did you tweak the power commander of what ever type of controller for your stock pipes after you re-installed them? Maybe you didn't have a commander and just your ECU, Not knowing what is on your bike so just guessing but hooking back up the Exup valve will help.. Good luck and welcome again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts