Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I noticed over the summer that when I go on longer rides, somewhere around 100 miles my back starts to hurt. I think it is my riding posture. I am fairly short, only 5'5", and I have to lean forward a little bit to reach the handlebars if I want to have a little slack in my arms and not be stretched out and uncomfortable.

So, for you experienced riders, what are some tips and tricks you have learned for staying comfortable on long rides? What does the best posture look like? Are after market seats worth investing in? Are floorboards counter productive to comfortable riding? What are the best modifications to make to ride comfortable?

I know that's a lot of questions, but this ways it's more of a broad topic and not focused on one thing. Help us less experienced riders be more comfortable on the road :D

·
Banned
292 Posts
I swapped out my handlebars. In fact, I've changed the handlebars on just about ever motorcycle I've had. Most back, shoulder, arm and neck pain from riding is caused by reaching too far for your bars.

·
Registered
570 Posts
t84a said it well. Swap out the bars or put on some pull backs so the bars are closer to you. It will ease the pain.
You want to ride so that forearms are level to the ground. So, you might move the bars up or down to fix that part.
Aftermarket seats do help but I would look at just one thing at a time.
Riding long distances takes time to get used to. You are teaching your body a whole new way of being. Take your time and relax, too.
Keep the rubber side down and enjoy your new experiences.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Here's an option as well. I wasn't familiar with the Silverado. It looks like they came with some big bars. I'd probably go with these. You may have to replace or reroute cables and lines though.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX-Pivoting-Handlebar/dp/B005UGHXUO[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX-Pivoting-Handlebar/dp/B005UGHX6I[/ame]

·
Registered
882 Posts
So, for you experienced riders, what are some tips and tricks you have learned for staying comfortable on long rides? What does the best posture look like? Are after market seats worth investing in? Are floorboards counter productive to comfortable riding? What are the best modifications to make to ride comfortable?
There is no 'best' position. You sit in the greatest chair of all time and, sooner or later, it's gonna get uncomfortable.

My suggestion is, on long rides, move. Over a 300-500 mile day, I'll be all over the place. Forward, back, left ass cheek, right ass cheek, legs splayed, one at a time, both, both in, toes out, up, sit kinda perpendicular. I rode 100 miles in Texas on a rented FLHTCU sitting on the back seat. I'd do it on my Strat but, I have a back rest.

Highway pegs are a must. A good seat is a must. Cruise control is great but, not a must. You're really not a 'true' rider until you're sure your right hand is DONE and then do another 200 miles. And not even notice it. Same goes for your ass, legs, back, neck. Call it Zen, call it warming up, whatever you like. Long rides on good roads, becoming lost, absorbed in the ride, man...

·
Banned
292 Posts
Hi Larry, your old neighbor here. Ken

I also bought an Ultimate seat with the backrest. It helped me a lot. Sorry Larry, cramp buster for me. I imagine floorboards would help. Honestly, I'm the furthest thing from a distance rider expert.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My current bike is a '09 Raider, before that I had a '99 Virago 1100.

On both bikes I found the comfort level could be improved quite a bit by just rotating the existing stock handlebars downwards, it brought the reach a bit closer & the grips were a bit lower too. Be sure to try that out BEFORE replacing the handlebars with aftermarket ones. Just loosen the pivot-point bolts & rotate the bar.

If you have success & comfort improves, you will also need to rotate the clutch/brake lever position to work with the new bar placement. And of course adjust the mirrors too.

This is a "free fix" & worth trying. It's quite a nuisance to replace the bars so avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My last bike I did 24,000miles in 4 major trips (and some commuting) and I am here to say that if you ride a LOT your body gets used to the pain and you don't notice it any more... that being said, it helps to change your riding position a lot and take breaks to stretch every 100miles or so. (I find it difficult to ride in groups now because they want to stop waaaaayyyyyy to often for me :))

·
Registered
35 Posts
Highway pegs mounted on those engine guards, drivers back rest, pull back risers, cruise control is a must. You have to drop that right arm every once in a while. You can make a cruise control for a couple of bucks with a piece of vacuum hose and a zip tie. Last but not least, some good tunes. Works for me. I'm a short, stocky guy too. I can run my roadie bone dry before I need to stop and rest. Ride at your own pace and enjoy the ride whats the hurry stop every fifty miles if you have to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like Larry, I move around heaps, even on shorter rides. Every 5 minutes or so I am looking to change position in some way or form, I find it helps a lot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be looking into some new handlebars soon. I looked at my risers (Pro-One Pullback Risers with Tachometer) so if I replace the risers, I won't have a tachometer anymore :'( I use that thing more that the speedometer, so that will be staying lol. I did try the "free fix" a while back by adjusting my handlebars to be lower and that helped a little bit, but not enough. I guess I could look for another set of risers and get another tack later, but they are 4 inch risers with a 1.5" pullback, so finding some that have more of a pullback is turning out to be difficult.

Do you guys know of any risers that have more pullback that that? And maybe a little taller too? I'd really rather not replace my handlebars if I don't have to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 6'2" and haven't had back pain on long rides yet, but about 50 miles in, It feels like my tailbone just WANTS OUT. I shift around in the seat about every 10-15 miles after that, and it's all good.

The specifics of your back pain should be a good guide. If it's lower back, change your leg position and think about handlebars to reduce your reach. If it's middle back, you are hunching over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts