Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on having good times in April riding various Texas hill country roads. I will be based at a New Braunfels hotel for 4 nights. I will go on various routes for two days leading up to my all day ride on Ranch Road 337 - one of the best motorcycle roads in Texas.

I would like to hear from you all on any advice for riding the hilly twisties and sweepers and what was surprising to you the first time you went on these type of roads. I plan to take it slow on the curves and lookout for wildlife, gravel/sand, and vehicles in my lane.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's one thing I miss about texas. Open road as far as you could see. Up here I've got to ride for 45-60 minutes to "get away" from it all.

The biggest thing to beware of is the nothingness. Riding with seldom changing scenery can easily lull you into a state of comfort where your senses aren't as aware as they normally are. When riding you should keep a heightened state of awareness at all times, because you never know what is going to come from where. Being in a relaxed state will slow your response time considerably. You will startle more easily as well, causing a knee-jerk reaction, which alone can cause you to lose control. Play awareness games in your head, like spot 5 signs and recite them in your head. May sound silly but it will keep your eyes focused instead of glossing over on the endless nothingness that is often found in texas.

Other than that, good luck, have fun. I've ridden roads all over eastern texas, there's beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That was a good plan for this coming April. When you're riding you must be careful and always look at the road to avoid accidents. Don't forget to take pictures and share it with us. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your not use to those kind of roads be carefull.Keep your eyes on the road at all times.Here in ky we have plenty of sharp curves an twisties an i love'em.Thats where i do all my rideing.My brother lives in cleveland texas.Enjoy an BeSafe

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's one thing I miss about texas. Open road as far as you could see. Up here I've got to ride for 45-60 minutes to "get away" from it all.

The biggest thing to beware of is the nothingness. Riding with seldom changing scenery can easily lull you into a state of comfort where your senses aren't as aware as they normally are. When riding you should keep a heightened state of awareness at all times, because you never know what is going to come from where. Being in a relaxed state will slow your response time considerably. You will startle more easily as well, causing a knee-jerk reaction, which alone can cause you to lose control. Play awareness games in your head, like spot 5 signs and recite them in your head. May sound silly but it will keep your eyes focused instead of glossing over on the endless nothingness that is often found in texas.

Other than that, good luck, have fun. I've ridden roads all over eastern texas, there's beautiful scenery.

that is some great advice there.

to the OP... i don't know much about texas b/c i've never ridden there. ride safe and take pictures!

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
here's footage i shot of RR337 last spring. didn't see any wildlife on the road for RR337, but there were livestock on the road on one of the other of the three sisters. i would advise to just stay on the speed limit around the curves as they are the the edges of cliffs. don't be in a hurry. but my best advice would be to hit all 3 twisted sisters and not just 337. it's worth it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the tips.

Bevo,

Thanks for the extended video clip. Around 1:16 into it, that was one long motorcycle wave. The road through the rock cut-outs looks cool. I am going to have to stop at the Leakey watering hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in the Hill Country and ride that area quite often. Yes, watch your entry speed in turns, watch for loose rocks from rock slides scattered on the road. Keep distance between you and cagers in front of you, some people love riding their brakes so you get use to seeing their brake lights on for a period then they really lay in hard on the brakes. No bueno! and remember to fuel up when you can. Gas stops in that area are far scattered. I have more issues with wildlife during the winter months than summer, but there is truth to loud pipes, the deer take off running for cover if you accelerate or decelerate loudly.

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
"The owner of this content has not made it available for mobile device users"

WTH Bevo - hating on mobile device users?

I suppose you'll say you didn't know about this setting .......
when you upload something that contains 3rd party content, such as the copyrighted music in my videos, it is up to that 3rd party how they want their material syndicated. some of music owners in my videos allow syndication on mobile devices and some don't. not a choice i or youtube can make or a setting the uploader can change.

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
if the particular artist is under contract with a record company or publisher, it may be up to that employer how the music is available. and it may be an automatic restriction on youtube against mobile devices until the company says to make it available to everyone. or you could be like Prince and be a **** and not let anyone listen to your music on youtube.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice Video Bevo!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts