Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the last few days home with a dreadful cold that knocked me on my a$$. Today I got up and decided i'd go to work. Turned out that I wasn't as well as I thought I was and got sent home early. Riding home I realized that as physically drained as I was, being on the bike might not have been the best idea. I should've driven the Jeep today but couldn't (long story, but I can't drive it at the moment). How do you all deal with riding a bike when you are sick? Just brute through it? Alternate transportation? I know from experience that sneezing inside a full face helmet is less than awesome and having a runny nose causes problems. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
yeah... not good... but if you have no other choice slow down and take your time.

I have driven my car when I was very sick - once with a migraine headache and Im not sure how I made it home...

you really need to be mentally firing on both cylinders when riding

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I did. The spring on my garage door broke and I couldn't lift the door very high. I used a hi-lift jack to get it open about 4 feet and managed to sneak the motorcycle underneath it but my Wrangler just clears the door fully opened with the light bar so until I get the spring fixed, the Jeep is stuck in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
I have to admit in the past I've had to ride under the weather but left early and went slow and had no issues.
Three weeks ago I had minor left shoulder surgery and had six stitches right where my work vest runs over that shoulder. 4 days afterward the weather was perfect and I had to go for a ride. Again I was quite cautious and it felt great. Unfortunately I had to have a second surgery, same place, 20 stitches and no riding for another week. So yes I think several of us have been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
A little over a year ago I had some major skin cancer cut off my nose. Couldn't get my full face helmet on with bandage. On way home home from surgery told wife I needed new open face helmet so I could ride to work after couple of days of recovery. She really does think I'm nuts sometimes. But got a great 3/4 face helmet out of the deal. Should have seen the doctor's face when I went back the following week to get stitches out when I showed up with helmet in hand. By the way, during this time I had gauze up both nostrils and could only breath thru mouth. But I will agree with all that going slow and knowing your limits is key. Hope you feel better and get your garage door fixed.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
...spring on my garage door broke and I couldn't lift the door very high. ....
a couple big strong dumb guys (VStar brethern) need to come over and open your door for you. Strong enough to lift it, and dumb enough to do it for free!

That happened to my door several years ago. As you lift the door up the sections that are riding the rails over your head are no longer pushing the door down - so the higher you get it, the easier it is to push it the rest of the way. Also you onlly need to lift the side with the broken spring/cable - the other spring will lift/balance the other side of the door.

Then you need a 6 foot long 2x6 to hold it open till you get it fixed. BTW, you need a special wrench to preload the spring, or its a dangerous nightmare.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I commute to work everyday by bicycle and find that getting the blood flowing and breathing outdoor air helps me feel better if I start showing symptoms. I think the last time I had a cold was over 6 years ago when I was still married. Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know from experience that sneezing inside a full face helmet is less than awesome and having a runny nose causes problems.
Sneezing in the helmet is awful... so gross.

When it is cool some mornings I end up getting a runny nose for the last few miles of my commute and that also is no fun. I keep napkins or tissues in my riding pants so I can clean up as soon as I park. Also very gross.

I work at a Hospital so it is key that I do not go to work if I am sick, the last thing they want is sick people bringing more sickness to the Hospital, so there is no resistance when I need to take a sick day. I cannot ever recall riding when I was really sick, like the flu or something... but I agree with everyone to go slower than normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts