Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having had my second front tire flat in about six years with no obvious punctures on the outside of the tire, I'm feeling the need to ditch tubed wheels. Anyone try this tape - https://www.jensonusa.com/Stans-NoTubes-Tubeless-Rim-Tape-Yellow-Universal-10-Yards-X-12mm?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF1NQOrCZR1E2XQBtnTNmm1tRXptVY1sKHYTCJCX-PISzek7mu8h_gcaApMaEALw_wcB

This may be meant for bicycles, but it looks as if some folks have used this tape (or Gorilla Tape) successfully for motorcycles. I believe you need special valve stem.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
any chance you got a spoke poking thru the tube from the inside?

People have converted spoke wheels to tubeless, its a lot of work and it can be done

but you might end up spending more time doing the conversion than you would fixing one more flat tire.

If you really want to convert consider getting another set of wheels.

Also might consider putting the magic goop in the tube?

Also what kind of tires are you running? Some have a lot more thread than others.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've done the conversion many times since the 80s and I would never rely on tape alone. IMO the tape should only be used as added insurance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
--

I've done several things. I have converted spokes to tubeless by sealing up the spoke groove with a sealant that gets real hard. Of the four tires I've used it on, only one has still held air. Not worth the trouble to me. I just went back to tubes on the other three.

The advantage of the tubeless is that you can plug a puncture often with a plug kit, not so with the tubes. That said, I run Ride_On in the tires anyway as it can seal a puncture in a tube sometimes and in addition acts like a balancer that will adapt to changing tire wear.

--

·
Registered
162 Posts
--

Another thing to consider is that if you seal up the center groove where the spokes are, you lose that space for the tire rim to go into when mounting a new tire. Can make it much harder.

--

1 - 5 of 5 Posts