Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Riser question

9K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  NorthernRider 
#1 ·
I ordered a set of 4.5" risers for my bike (VStar1100 Classic) from China and they arrived yesterday. I know, I know - Chinese junk, but I'm not sure if I'll like them or not so I figured it would be better to toss out $40 before spending $150.

Anyway, they actually look quite nice so I was anxious to try them out. I took my handlebars off, then one of the risers. This is where I stopped. The stock ones have a stud with a thicker shank that works as a bushing where it goes through the triple tree. The ones I got have no stud, just a threaded hole. My question is, does this stud come out of the stock riser or will have to use something else? If so, will a bolt work or do I need to find something to use as a bushing? First time doing this so any advice would be welcome.

#2 ·
Use just bolt. I also got some of the ones off eBay. If memory is right minecwere a 1/2 by 13. Don't remember length. Been on 3 years. Love them. No issues or concerns. On mine I didn't like how tight the brake line was and loosened the top fitting slightly and rotated cable so it pointed down. If you just loosen enough to rotate you don't need to bleed brakes. Make sure you tighten the clamp on bars pretty tight. At first I didn't have mine tight enough and bars rotated slightly first time I hit brakes hard and my weight shifted to bars. It was a pucker moment. Post some pictures when you get them on.

Reactions: Keith Post
#3 ·
Forget to mention, use large flat washer between bolt and bushing in triple tree. The bushing is rubber, if you just use bolt you can tear into bushing with bolt head and you can't tighten good.

#4 ·
Zoom in on picture and you can see head on bolt and washer going up into riser.

#5 ·
Thanks les, appreciate it. Good tip on the washer. One other thing, mine aren't round like yours - they're more rectangular and don't quite fit inside the hole where the bushing is. Any idea if I'll run into issues with vibration or anything else if I just use another big washer on top too? I suppose I could grind down the corners a bit so it would sit down on the bushing if I had to, but I'd rather not do that.

#6 ·
I've seen the type you have and it's not an issue. They just sit on top of the hole. My friend has them and work good. If it was me I would try to find a chrome washer. I don't like the look of seeing the whole around the sides of riser. But that's me. This is the set he has.

#8 ·
Forgot to mention, don't to final tightening on riser bottom bolt till you have bars on. If not the bar hole on riser might be 100% square to bars. Hope that made sense. I put some medium locktite on bottom riser bolts. Wouldn't be good for bolts to loosen up, mine were course thread, and bars coming off in hand. ?

#9 ·
Well, got them on and wow, it feels like a different bike! Much more comfortable riding position. My arms aren't stretched out straight anymore. I watched a YouTube video and he explained about tightening the riser bolts last so I knew about that. Good idea about the Loctite too. Mine are also coarse thread. Here are the promised pics (trying imgBB so bear with me if they don't work - lol):

#11 ·
Looks great. I forget about the clutch and choke cable. How did the brake hose work out? And yes it does feel like a different bike, in a good way. The imgbb pictures worked great.

#12 ·
Yes, in a very good way. It's going to take some getting used to but I like it. The brake hose is snug but not super tight. I'll try your suggestion in the morning and see if it helps. It was getting late and I wanted to test ride it before the temp dipped any closer to the freezing mark (summer my a$$! lol).

#17 ·
Did you get to ride today? If so how was it. When I put my risers on I rotated the bars up and down the first couple of weeks to find the most comfortable position. Don't forget to rotate the hand controls, especially the brake to maintain correct position for easy reach. Plus it makes it easier to adjust mirrors.

#18 ·
Yes I did. Had the day off and it got up into the 70s so I took a ride to Nova Scotia (about 120 miles round trip). I took my allen socket to adjust them but I got them pretty good and really didn't feel the need to move them. The controls feel right and I really love the way it feels now but I'm sure I'll be making a few tweaks over the next week or two. I can lean back now so my seating position is more laid back without stretching my arms. Next on my list is a set of highway pegs so I can really stretch out. The wife and I are going to go for a cruise this weekend so I'll see how it feels riding with a passenger, but solo - it feels perfect.

Oh, I checked the brake line before I left and it was already angled about as good as it was going to get. Like I said, it's a little snug but it doesn't appear to be pulling on it so I think it'll be ok.

#19 ·
That's great it all worked out. I've found in the winter, yes it get cold in Houston, I keep my windshield on. With windshield on I lower the bars some so I'm sitting more back. In the summer with windshield off I move the bars up some and it moves me forward some to offset the wind hitting my chest. Takes just a few minutes for a different feel and more comfortable ride. Just something for you to consider since I see you have a quick release windshield. Enjoy y'alls ride the weekend.

Reactions: NorthernRider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.