Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get my handle bars a little closer to me on the Stratoliner. I don't want to replace cables and I'd prefer to keep costs to a minimum. I figured risers would be the way to go. I've found two brands that are still available to buy, one is from Baron's Custom and the other is Refined Cycle. Refined Cycle is an extension, not a full riser.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys might have on these products or if you know of different ones I could use. There is a big difference in price between these two. eBay has the Refined product for $70 and Baron's for $213.

Registered
I like the refined because it uses the original top, then you don't lose the accent piece

Registered
After I brought up the Refinedcycle link, I clicked on the middle photo below the description photo and then clicked on that photo to enlarge it.

From that enlarged middle photo, I can see that the Refinedcycle risers are only using one bar mount bolt (the rear one).
It looks like the give you a Philips head screw to fill the front hole.
The Barons use both mounting bolts.

Should you ever drop your bike, I doubt that you will not mangle the bar mounts when lifting the 800 pound bike with the bars.
The Barons are much more beefier and should not bend while lifting and dropped bike.

The old saying goes, You Get What You Pay For.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I brought up the Refinedcycle link, I clicked on the middle photo below the description photo and then clicked on that photo to enlarge it.

From that enlarged middle photo, I can see that the Refinedcycle risers are only using one bar mount bolt (the rear one).
It looks like the give you a Philips head screw to fill the front hole.
The Barons use both mounting bolts.

Should you ever drop your bike, I doubt that you will not mangle the bar mounts when lifting the 800 pound bike with the bars.
The Barons are much more beefier and should not bend while lifting and dropped bike.

The old saying goes, You Get What You Pay For.
I too had questions about the Refined. They say they are extensions not full risers. With them, you place them between the stock risers and the fork. I couldn't see how one of the bolts from the original risers fit into the extension. The price is appealing though.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Does anyone know of or have recommendations for any others that are on the market?

Jspree, what accent piece are you talking about? On mine, all I see are the risers themselves. Do you have something I don't?

Registered
I thought from the look of it, it used the stock riser cap. You will not see that double point cap on anything else.

Registered
I don't have experience with those but i have risers on my 1100 and my 1800vtx had them also. Will never have another bike without them.

Registered
I too had questions about the Refined. They say they are extensions not full risers. With them, you place them between the stock risers and the fork. I couldn't see how one of the bolts from the original risers fit into the extension.

What I marked out in yellow is the long bolt they give you for the front of the original cap.
You would need one of the original shorter bolts for the rear of the cap.
The red '}" is the original riser you pointed out as being between the cap and Refined Riser.
The longer bolt would through the front of the cap, original riser and the Refined Riser.
What I pointed out with the red circle is that there is just one long bolt per side holding the bars on.
When lifting a dropped bike, with the bars turned, that's a lot of torque on one small bolt.

They say the Refined gets you 2" rise and 2" rearward.
The Baron says 1" rise and 2.25" rearward.

center.jpg
center.jpg
riser.PNG riser.PNG
riser.PNG
center.jpg

Registered
That's cool. I don't plan to ever lay my stratoliner down. If I do I will be so mad,it might just lay there.

Registered
Like I say, you don't plan on dropping it but it can happen.
April 2019 while turning around in an off chamber intersection, with V-shaped front tire and right foot below my left, I dropped it handle bars to the down hill side. That's when I found out just how heavy these bikes are. There's a reason Yamaha put large handle bars on them. I actually thought they were going to bend when giving it everything I had to upright the bike. And I do mean everything. I can't imagine what would happen with the extra 2" of torque applied to one small bolt. With only two fastening points with the Refined, you will get rotational movement (twisting). The baron's have four point mounting as Yamaha intended.

This is an opinion forum, and that's my opinion. You never plan on dropping any bike but it can happen.

One of the guys that rode in a group with us one day had the Baron risers on his Roadliner and loved them.

Registered
Most riser only have one bolt that goes through the triple tree.The stock riser only has one bolt through the triple tree.

Registered
Well, there you go! I was thinking the cap bolts went through to the upper clamp but the microfiche says different.
#12 in fact makes a single bolt contact point per side.

And, #20 is a factory screw.

So its a personal choice. The Baron looks closer to factory but at a higher cost but also moves the bars back 1/4" more where as the Refined raises them 1" more.
I'm glad I'm not the one making the choice. lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: Jspree

Registered
Thanks for the pointers guys, I just ordered a set for my bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts