Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I installed a set of Freedom Tru-Dual exhaust on my 07 RS:D and want to adjust the idle circuit fuel mixture. I have been reading that most owners installing this exhaust ( I have stock intake with AIS removed) have been getting good performance results leaving the stock internal jets and needle alone and just adjusting the screw under the carb.

Anyway, once I remove the plug hiding the idle circuit screw at the bottom of the carb, which way do I turn the screw to make the mixture more rich? In other words...is this an air control screw, or is it a fuel control screw:confused:? Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If i remember correctly... turning it counterclockwise (backing it out) will richen things up. Since my memory is perfect i know that.....oh...who are you?

·
Registered
58 Posts
SparkyD is correct. It is in fact a fuel mixture screw. Turning the screw clockwise will lean it and counter clockwise will make it richer. Roughly speaking, with a standard intake and exhaust system most carburetor model Road Stars tend to idle smoothly and respond best when this screw is backed out 3.0 to 4.0 turns from its lightly seated position. Just beware of exceeding 4.5 due to the lack of spring tension left in the screw.
Generally, when the exhaust system is changed from OE the carburetor does not require any internal jetting changes unless you are also modifying the intake system. In this case, the product should supply direction with specific jetting recommendations.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Listen to these two guys Rich, especially this guy Cheese and Crackers. He's a pretty damn smart feller when it comes to these issues and has helped me out quite a bit. Sparky on the other hand just thought my problems had to do with the blinker grease.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Listen to these two guys Rich, especially this guy Cheese and Crackers. He's a pretty damn smart feller when it comes to these issues and has helped me out quite a bit. Sparky on the other hand just thought my problems had to do with the blinker grease.
Jarhead, please don't induce more confusion. The blinker grease is for lubrication of bulb fillaments while blinker fluid is to assist in electron flow thru signal relays...duh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts